Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Pickles, my new piggy! (pic)

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
Well, I randomly checked the humane society website AGAIN today for a female piggy, and they had one (I needed a buddy for my current female)! We went to meet her, and ended up coming home with her! She's in quarantine right now. They think she is around 1 year old but aren't sure. She is definitely older than my other pigs, because she is much larger (longer, not fatter).

She does not seem to care for veggies. I'm sure her previous owners didn't offer them to her. She took a few pieces of red lettuce from me, but looks at the green pepper like it is the devil. Any tips on introducing veggies??? (She DID love carrot, of course.) She gets a free vet visit, so she'll do that next week.

Thanks!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Pickles, my new piggy! (pic)

She is beautiful!! Offer something, just like you are doing. Don't leave it in the cage longer than 30 minutes if not eaten. Put it back in fridge, and try again at dinner. Usually it takes awhile of offering for them to become interested.

My girls won't touch pepper in chunks, but I use a cheese grater to shred it over their pellets and they eat it up :) If I'm holding one of them, and I offer something in my hand, they'll at least give it a sniff and a nibble test. Good luck and congratulations on the new addition!

I usually shred any veggies I offer for the first time to get the smell going for them and entice them to eat.

Good tips everyone, thanks! I can't believe how tame and friendly my new piggy is- not scared or shy at all. She's going to be a great furry friend :)

WOW That's a major plus. I adopted Carliee when she was a year and half. Took her two months to trust me. I bet she will be a wonderful cuddly friend.

Yes, I'm actually shocked by it. She's pretty much more tame than my current pigs that I play with and bribe with food every single day! I'm so happy about it though!!! I got very lucky, I think.

WOW That's a major plus. I adopted Carliee when she was a year and half. Took her two months to trust me. I bet she will be a wonderful cuddly friend.

You are very lucky, she is a beautiful keeper! Some pigs are just more trusting than others. They are all individuals just like us. I believe that's why some people give up on their pigs. They thought they would get this immediate bond and trust from their new pig. Especially children. It's just not that way the majority of the time. Trust and love is built over time. Patience can be greatly rewarded in the end :)

Congrats on the new piggie!!! I agree with previous commenters, try and try again with the veg and maybe shred it. She's adorable!

she is beautiful

Congrats on the new pig! Shes so cute!

I would do the cheese-grater idea... :)

It breaks my heart everytime I hear about a piggy that doesnt seem to care for veggies for the same reason you have explained. Id say feed them what you know they like already. Then use the guide for veggies and give them a huge variety sampler and observe what veggies get eaten first.

Congratulations on the new family member. She is lovely! I am a new pigge care taker and really have no tips, but the ones suggested sound great and I will try them myself :)

She is absolutely lovely! I have 2 cresteds myself. I love her coloring!

Ditto what the others have said about peppers. OPP, even after being here 4 months, still won't eat solid chunks of green pepper - previous owner never gave veggies, other than celery. But if I chop it into small pieces and mix it in with his pellets, he eats it right up.

Well, happy to report she will take a variety of the lettuces I have been offering. She is not nearly as excited about it as my other pigs, but she will eat a piece here and there as I offer it (the others will devour an entire stack in minutes). She still says no to the green pepper, but I haven't tried grating it yet. I will try that after work today.

I got to see her do a little popcorning last night, so that was fun!

Do you guys think it's ok if I hold her tonight since she seems so tame and well adjusted?? She will come over to me when I put my hand in the cage, and let me pet her all over her entire body. I just can't wait to cuddle her!

Well, happy to report she will take a variety of the lettuces I have been offering. She is not nearly as excited about it as my other pigs, but she will eat a piece here and there as I offer it (the others will devour an entire stack in minutes). She still says no to the green pepper, but I haven't tried grating it yet. I will try that after work today.

I got to see her do a little popcorning last night, so that was fun!

Do you guys think it's ok if I hold her tonight since she seems so tame and well adjusted?? She will come over to me when I put my hand in the cage, and let me pet her all over her entire body. I just can't wait to cuddle her!

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to hold her! Since she is in quarantine, wear an apron or different shirt so that you can change it before you hold your other piggie...just in case.

Ok, she will be getting some cuddles tonight then! I just didn't want to stress her out but she really seems to be so easy going about everything.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Furbabies are wonderful for us. My Auggie was only eating carrots until just recently. The advice I got on this forum (like what you have been getting) worked and now she is eating lettuce and celery. Still working on the other vegs, but I have faith that soon she will be happily munching away. Good luck and don't give up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.