Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petting Guinea Pigs

OldUserTM

Cavy Slave
How do you pet or touch a guinea pig, mine just run away.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
Danny, guinea pigs are instinctively shy and defensive because they are preyed upon in the wild. Their instincts are to freeze or run and hide. Sudden movements will startle them. If you want to pick up a guinea pig, be patient but firm. The less time you chase them around, the less distress on the animal. Usually once you have them securely in your arms they will settle down. Always remember to have their feet resting on your arm or on a towel in your hands. They feel safe when their feet are always on something.

People who have had guinea pigs for years still find that their pigs startle or run and hide when they try to pick them up. You shouldn't take this personally. Guinea pigs generally are not tolerant to petting in a cage unless they are very scared and don't move, or are cornered. It's better if you pick them up gently but firmly and settle them on your lap or on your arm. If it fidgets too much, beware! It usually means that it needs to pee. Don't worry, you'll figure it out. :)

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Don't give up. Spend time every day holding your piggie and get them used to the idea that you are safe. Especially when you first get them. They should start to enjoy it more. I have one that now loves to be held but my other never did want to be held for long. He would run and I would have to corner him but then he would cuddle for a few mins and be ready to go back soon. The calmer one will let me pet him forever! He even lets me reach in the cage and pet him now!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Feed them veggies out of your hand every day and give them time to get to trust you, and when you're going to pick them up, do it fast when they're already in a corner/hidey so they don't stress out running away for ages. Good luck!

Laika

Cavy Slave
Mine always ran when I first got them. As others have said, hand feeding veggies is good. Mine now actually come up to me for pets. It also helps to make sure they see your hand before you try to pet them. Mine still run if I dont think and just reach in to pet them, but if I let them see my hand and sniff so they know its me first they love getting pets now. One will actually roll onto her side for tummy rubs! Just takes some patience. ^_^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.