Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petstore horror

M

Malcsy04

I went to the moorestown mall yesterday and went in their petstore. To my suprise they now have guinea pigs..:( I noticed how they really didnt know about them at all(same with the bunnies). This person took one out and it was sqeaking SO loud it was mind boggeling. There was not hidey house or hay just a bowl of food...come to think of it..i dont think they even had any water! When i went to touch the guinea pig, it was sooooo jumpy. And its head was crusty. I wanted to tell them about proper care but i didnt know what to say. What should I do??

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
You could print out the care sheet at cavy spirit and bring it to them. They really should know how to properly care for the. Youshould also tell them that the crusty one might need medical attention. Even if they get mad at you and dont do anything to change, then at least you can say you tried. Good luck!!

Loreliana

Cavy Slave
I've noticed most pet store piggies are jumpy. So sad....

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
some petshop owners don't even know they r called guinea pigs

Treen

Cavy Slave
Have a look at this page https://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm for more advice on what you can do. One thing's for sure, animals in pet shops can't stand up for themselves, so it's only people who care going out of their way that will help them. It might not be easy to get people to listen, but it's definitely worth the effort.

Good luck.

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
Many petstores are like that! It makes me soooo mad! Speak your mind! I know it is hard but you have to inform them!

99p Flake

Cavy Slave
Now I know that there seems to be a lot of uneducated store owners/staff about when it comes to pets, but can I mention a few in defence?

There are one or two pet shops around here that actually have qualifications in looking after animals in store, and actually know how to treat their animals. The pet shop that I have got my two Guinea Pigs from are very well educated on their Cavy knowledge, and made sure that I knew all the facts before adopting my new pet. The piggies they kept in store were kept away from other animals, with their own sex, and are all happy and healthy to me. I almost hate taking Guinea Pigs from them because I hate to seperate them from the friends they have there.

I only mention this because not all pet shops are evil, some do a good job :) Especially when there are actually no Guinea Pig shelters around here either.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
oooo, my pet store is evil! They cage rabbits and guinea pigs together. I'm sure that males and females are kept together. I asked the lady at the store for bedding, and she directed me to Cedar. I did tell her that it is very harmful, but she was oh so rude, and said that they wouldn't be selling it if it was bad for them. Hello???? How stupid. I did try...

99p Flake

Cavy Slave
The best way to deal with awkward people is to be as nice and polite as possible. Thus, if you have a pet shop that seem to be in need of a little 'education' then, I believe, the best way to get your point across is to be as friendly and helpful as possible.. It may help, I'm not sure though :p

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
That is soooo awful! You have to talk to some one at the store. Try to do it infront of another customer so that it comes to the attention of others too. But make sure you are polite or eles they wont listen to you at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.