Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petsmart vs. Petco

Status
Not open for further replies.
wagner09
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Total BS, sorry.

wagner09

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I agree that Petco has many quality products that I can find at a myriad of other retailers locally and online that do NOT sell animals and fun breeders and pet mills. Convenience isn't always the most important thing.
wagner09 said:
And i had to create an account for my friend because she doesn't have an email account, and she didn't want to write anything becasue she thought you guys would come find her and kill her.
Huh? Paranoid much? "We" don't agree with shopping in stores that sell animals, breeding, or showing, but I've never known any of us to physically threaten anyone for not agreeing.

wagner09

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you all don't agree with my opinion. Bu in my opinion there is nothing wrong with Petco.

You're certainly entitled the right to hold such an opinion; however you can't come touting here and expect lots of kudos and support. This is a forum dedicated to rescuing homeless animals, not a forum designed to support the very institutions that make rescues necessary in first place.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
And I'm sure the pigs love to live on yogurt drops, vitamins in water and a handful of hay every couple of days! It's piggy heaven. :rolleyes:

wagner09
wagner09

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Wagner, how does a person such as yourself stumble onto a site like this in the first place? Did you do a google search for a forum that supports rescues, just so you could upset people with your pro-Petco views?

I beg you to read through this article: https://cavyspirit.com/hollister.htm

This article: https://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

As well as this article: https://cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm

After you are well informed about breeding, I dare you to come back here and honestly say that you feel right about supporting a store who purchases their animals from breeders enabling the practice to continue.

And Petco may adopt out larger animals to look good to the customers, but their smallers animals they buy from breeders.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
They also stock their stores by buying hamsters, mice, rats, guinea pigs and birds from breeders and pet mills that seriously contribute to pet overpopulation and makes rescues and shelter necessary because people buy animals from the store, get almost no information or bad information from people working in the store that are clueless, and then get bored or frustrated, so they abandon their animals. Buying from Pet-notso-smart, and PetNO funds these practices even if it isn't an animal you're buying. When/if you DO choose to buy a animal from a store that sells animals, you open up a space for them to fill with 1, 2, or more animals that they buy from a breeder, thereby keeping the parents in horrible conditions and risking the mother getting ill or dying from multiple pregnancies and being backbred.

If you want to adopt a cat, go to your local Humane Society, ASPCA, or other rescue. There are usually hundreds in most metropolitan areas that need good forever homes.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Was my private message unclear wagner? I believe I specified that you either needed NO avatar, or one with guinea pigs in it.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Rescuing homeless animals is a very good thing to do. But i know petsmart has cat adoption centers in there store too.

What the heck does that have to do about the homeless problems with guinea pigs? It is ok that 1000's of animals are euthanized in shelters every year because Petsmart offers up space to cats?

The point is, why are they homeless? Why can't shelter animals find homes? Is it "possibly" because people selling pets at the store level did not properly indicate what level of care and responsiblity owning pigs involved? Is it because there are just too many pigs in this world? Most pigs are homeless because the owners made an impulsive uneducated decision in a petstore, and they stay homeless because people who actually want to provide good homes to pigs either don't know about shelter animals, or are overcome by the convienance of getting one at a local petstore. More selection, extended hours, usually no background check or questions asked!

If pet stores, like Petco, did not sell guinea pigs, then in just a few years, there would no longer be any homeless pigs! Petco and stores like it are directly responsible for shelter animals dying by flooding the market with surplus guinea pigs... Period.

I don't think your pee sized brain can even handle other reasons not to support petco, like what the mills you get your pigs from do to their breeding stock, the illnesses that plauge petstore pigs, or the money and time it takes for people involved in rescue to clean up Petco's and other stores messes.

Just last week, their was a lady who posted about her pig dying on the Chat forum. She was told by two different stores that Petco (where she bought both pigs from) had neutered them, and it was ok to place the sow with a boar. The end result was pregnancy related complications. After the fact, it was indeed determined, that Petco does NOT neuter all the guinea pigs they sell, and the manager had no idea why the employees where giving that sort of advice. (She has two separate reciepts that show the pigs as having been "neutered".

Yup, definately the happiest place on earth! I wanna be an aquarium pig too!

wagner09

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Actually this is not a forum where everyone is free to express their opinion. This is a pro-rescue forum. Period. If you support breeders (there is no such thing a good breeder) or petstores (supporting petstores support breeding), you are there for anti-rescue. I encourage you to go to your local shelter and look into the eyes of the homeless animals and tell them they cannot have a home because Petco has everything.

Please, look into those links I gave you. We're not trying to scare you away. I would really love to change your opinon. Not only because it would save many animals if you stopped shopping at Petco, but because you would feel better about yourself as a person. Trust me you would.

wagner09

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I can't think of anything else to say to change your opinion. So I'm going to leave it at that. I still stress that reading into breeding, and visiting your local shelters will change your view on the world.

I beleive that you are a good person Wagner, for you seem to be considerate of other's feelings. I know that you did not hunt us down to specifically challenge us. But know that if you speak about shopping at petstores that sell animals in this forum this is going to be the reaction you get. This is a pro-rescue forum. We support saving the lives of animals, not dooming them to a homeless exsistence.

wagner09

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
That's good to know. Keep reading, keep learning. And I hope in time you will be as passionate about the lives of animals (esecially piggies :p ) as we are. Just so you know. There are websites out there where you can buy your pet supplies that are cheaper than Petsmart or Petco, deliever right to your door, and do not support cruelty to our little buddies.

Check out (broken link removed)

Status
Not open for further replies.