Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores PetSmart Supplier *Graphic Video*

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
that video is of a place that just doest supplie for pets smart, i was in jacks aqurium and i asked where they got there ferrits.. that is the name they gave me. the place in question has sevel locations. one being in kentuky.

P.S. sorry for my spelling at my dads and no spell check on the comp.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I agree with Jim. No one shamed me here, either, despite my buying Mufasa from a pet store. I didn't know any better at the time, but I quickly learned. Meanwhile, he was a textbook pet store horror story and died of a URI within 15 days. Since his death, I adopted my next three pigs because I refuse to support breeding mills.

I actually got Quinn at Petco, but someone had abandoned her there earlier that day and the store got no money from her. I find it tragically ironic that they adopt out pigs while selling them, too, and it broke my heart to see the cramped tank of sale pigs (of course I had to walk over and look at them). I would have loved to buy them, too, but buying = creating demand and freeing up space for more breeding mills pigs. I made it very clear when conversing with the manager that I only adopt; I had only called them because I thought they worked with a small animal rescue and wanted to get the number, although I realized later that was actually Petsmart. It was just a fluke that a woman had called earlier saying she was bringing in an unwanted pig.

Besides, as badly as I feel for those sale pigs, not so long ago Quinn was one of them, too. So I still saved a pet store piggy, but without putting $$ in a pet store's pocket and supporting the disgusting breeding chain. I know Amy was once a pet store pig, too, and Borat probably was, although the shelter didn't know much about his background.

All these things I just said, I never would have known without coming here and sticking around and getting educated.

As to the point about factory farm animals, I eat animal products and I won't try to make an excuse for it because I know how horrifying the conditions are. Someday I might actually put that knowledge into action, but like most typical people, I focus my actions on the animals that "cute" and companions. I know that's hypocritical; the farm where I boarded my horses had pet chickens, and they were just as happy to be alive as any other animal, and they all had their own individual personalities.

I think the "Whale Whores" episode of South Park sums it up best. Stan gets on a crusade to save whales and dolphins from the Japanese, who are slaughtering them on the ocean, in American theme parks, and even on the football field, where they kill the whole Miami Dolphins football team. It turns out the Japanese think whales and dolphins are responsible for the atomic bombings (don't ask...it's South Park). Stan convinces them the real perpetrators were a cow and a chicken.

At the end, the Japanese have switched to brutally slaughtering every cow and chicken they can find. Instead of being outraged, no one bats an eye, and Stan's dad says, "Now they're normal like the test of us."

charliespet

Cavy Slave
In the world, you are always going to have those who see animals as profit, as "just animals." You will always have those who see them as individuals with emotions. I blv in respecting animals, and in this video, no one is respecting anything. They are treating the animals like disposable breeding machines. Animals have always been for profit and the enjoyment of mankind, to help us work, eat and play. That should be respected, no matter what an animals use is, be it for food, work, or play. Even old school farmers respect and love each animal. This mass Rainbow place is a disgrace.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Thank you to the Mod who added *graphic video* :)

On a side note...

[MENTION=23344]EverGreenly[/MENTION] - your piggie drawing for your avatar is ADORABLE!! :)

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Why the heck do I watch these when I know I'm just going to get extremely pissed off?

Ugh. This is disgusting. All the new folks who come here saying,"But pet store pigs need saving too!" should watch these videos.

My first two pigs came from a petstore. I will always regret that, even though I love them so much.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
My question is, what can be done? Many, many puppykitten mills have been shut down by the hard work of ppl who raised awareness. So many ppl just do not think small animals and farm animals effect them, or the eco system. I think a lot of the ppl who continue to say the pet store g. pigs need homes too, just aren't getting the fact that they use the money you pay for MORE pigs. It's like buying blood diamonds. I myself hope in some small way with my family and friends that I can spread the word about this disgraceful treatment of mother nature. It seems to me breeding companies should have to be licensed and have care standards and vets, otherwise face jail time!

cross

Cavy Slave
that was heartbreaking

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Ugh. This is disgusting. All the new folks who come here saying,"But pet store pigs need saving too!" should watch these videos.
Unfortunately, that sometimes has the opposite effect. I found a thread on a Citydata board not too long ago where someone had posted this video or a similar one, with a title of something like "Don't Buy Animals at Petsmart." Nearly every comment was, "I AM going to buy an animal at Petsmart now because this video shows how much they need saving."

People are used to short soundbites and video clips aimed at an ADD attention span. They react to what they see without thinking it through. To them, the pet store is bad, so rescue the animals from the pet store. They totally miss the big picture of how that plays into the supply chain and perpetuates the problem.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I think what most needs to be done now is to educate. For every five people you tell about things like this, that's 100 more people who now know via word of mouth. You tell one person, that person tells two of their friends, both of those friends each tell two people, ect, ect. Some may even make a big change to not fund the bad actions of pet stores and breeding mills.

For example, a few of my friends are huge animal lovers, and have tons of cats, dogs, birds, ect. For years they didn't know about this kind of thing, so they just bought all their pet supplies for pet smart and other pet stores, therefore feeding into the problem a ton. Now that I have alerted them to this ever growing problem, they have completely stopped, and have told others about this.

Seese1

Cavy Slave
I didn't watch the video, I'm too scared but once I got a hamster from petsmart and they threw him n the box and then dropped the box and so when I got home he was traumatized and he started being really mean to me and my mom cuz he then thought that we were bad too.

scruffytufty

Cavy Slave
im totally shocked that this is going on in the US , thankfully the uk run their stores following the 5 freedoms or risk getting shut down immediatly, yes it still bad but nothing on those extremes, iv never seen anything like that surely something can be put in place? some law or something. petitions or strikes?

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
I think what most needs to be done now is to educate. For every five people you tell about things like this, that's 100 more people who now know via word of mouth. You tell one person, that person tells two of their friends, both of those friends each tell two people, ect, ect. Some may even make a big change to not fund the bad actions of pet stores and breeding mills.

For example, a few of my friends are huge animal lovers, and have tons of cats, dogs, birds, ect. For years they didn't know about this kind of thing, so they just bought all their pet supplies for pet smart and other pet stores, therefore feeding into the problem a ton. Now that I have alerted them to this ever growing problem, they have completely stopped, and have told others about this.

You both are right. Education is what is what is needed, at the same time there are people out there, too many, who don't want the education. They want to 'save' the petshop piggy. I can understand the thinking. My husband and I used to go to 'Pet-UnSmart' to get goodies for Poppy, I would come out crying because of the poor little critters I saw and I wanted to 'save'. Don will now go in and do the shopping for me.

Unfortunately, that sometimes has the opposite effect. I found a thread on a Citydata board not too long ago where someone had posted this video or a similar one, with a title of something like "Don't Buy Animals at Petsmart." Nearly every comment was, "I AM going to buy an animal at Petsmart now because this video shows how much they need saving."

People are used to short soundbites and video clips aimed at an ADD attention span. They react to what they see without thinking it through. To them, the pet store is bad, so rescue the animals from the pet store. They totally miss the big picture of how that plays into the supply chain and perpetuates the problem.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I did not watch the video, I am grateful that I read a few comments first. I am not in denial of the horrible atrocities inflicted on animals in "the industry" (for example, look at the sudden rush for Froie Gras in this city - due to the recent banning starting last Saturday). However, I am fairly certain that this video should have had a warning in it's thread title regarding content. It just sounds like it due to responses, again I didn't watch it because I can't fill my brain with disturbing visuals (I suffer from enough anxiety issues as it is :)).

Yes, shelters are full and yes people breed irresponsibly...do you all buy eggs from free range, no hormone, naturally fed chickens? They're like 3x the price of regular eggs so many do not. If you don't, is a chicken's life worth less than a guinea pig, rabbit, dog, cat? Do we care more because the over population of animals in the shelter is a constant reminder? Have you seen what chickens that provide eggs go through on a large scale farm? It is awful. We have many many battles ahead of us...over population is only one of them.

Free range chicken eggs(no hormones,antibiotics, vegetarian diet) here are about 4 dollars for a pack of 18. Unless you're pounding back a lot of eggs, that's not expensive. I don't think there is an excuse for not buying them. At least not in my area. I mean, it's 4 measly dollars. Big whoop.

I'm also worried about bees! That's my secondary reason for buying organic. First is health obviously.

I freakin' love bees, man. They're adorable, highly intelligent, and pollinate crops. They're kind of a big deal.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Free range chicken eggs(no hormones,antibiotics, vegetarian diet) here are about 4 dollars for a pack of 18. Unless you're pounding back a lot of eggs, that's not expensive. I don't think there is an excuse for not buying them. At least not in my area. I mean, it's 4 measly dollars. Big whoop.

I'm also worried about bees! That's my secondary reason for buying organic. First is health obviously.

I freakin' love bees, man. They're adorable, highly intelligent, and pollinate crops. They're kind of a big deal.

Agreed!! However, knowing what honey is grosses me out...why not just use agave nectar? :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer

More and more people are becoming aware of the plight of bees. In the Midwest, more and more people are becoming bee keepers, including my niece-in-law's family and some old friends. Seems to be a trend there.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
And then again, free range chickens have eggs that the yolks are dark and stronger in taste. People who have never raised chickens don't understand this, they are used to the pale yolks, no nutrition and the chickens are kept in disgusting conditions.

EverGreenly

Cavy Slave
im totally shocked that this is going on in the US , thankfully the uk run their stores following the 5 freedoms or risk getting shut down immediatly, yes it still bad but nothing on those extremes, iv never seen anything like that surely something can be put in place? some law or something. petitions or strikes?

There are plenty of laws in place, they just aren't upheld. Every state and county is different too, which is how they get away with all of it.

EverGreenly

Cavy Slave
Thank you to the Mod who added *graphic video* :)

On a side note...

@EverGreenly - your piggie drawing for your avatar is ADORABLE!! :)

Thanks! I found it on google lol. I have another one with one adult piggie with babies on its back. Super cute lol.

1chimps101

Cavy Slave
That video made me cry. Petsmart sucks. I hate that guy who stomped on the hamster!!!!

Nibles230

Cavy Slave
Gonna play devil's advocate here. But honestly, where do you guys think the shelter piggies originally come from? I'm betting MOST were previously owned by people who bought their pigs (or the pig's parents) from a large petstore chain, such as Petsmart. Or if not petsmart, a breeder with similar methods as those in the video.

Now I'm not saying "OH HEY IT'S COOL THEY TREAT THEM LIKE THAT WHATEVER". But we have to face the facts. Many of the pigs we buy (and yes, the exchange of money for items is buying, whether it is at a shelter or store) from the shelter probably spent part their lives at a supplier such as this, thus also contributing to the problem.

Instead of shaming people who buy from petstores (which is honestly MOST of what I see on this site), we need to work to make places like this animal friendly. For example, I was originally planning on going to a Pet Supermarket to get a piggie, and before I did, I was seriously stressed about how people on this site were going to make me feel horribly for doing so. In the end, I got my girls from a shelter, because it was cheaper, which was more appealing to my father, who was the one paying for them.

This is going to sound harsh. But you are all animal people. SO how can you all say that we shouldn't consider buying an animal from a petstore as not saving a life, when those animals have suffered already and might die in the store. I truly do not understand WHY one animal's life is considered by this site to be more important than another's life.

This video, RIGHT HERE, is why we need to change how things are done at suppliers for petstores. Not make them completely taboo, so more animals will die when the ones NOT bought at the store are "too old to sell".

I really don't mean to offend anyone here. Really, truly, I don't. This is honestly just how I feel, my personal opinion, and partly playing devil's advocate. Of course I prefer to adopt from a shelter, both because piggies are only $5 there than $30 at the petstore, but also because they were abandoned. But some people aren't lucky enough to have a shelter that is capable of putting up piggies, or don't have any rescues near-by. I know my shelter was stressed about having the 3 piggies they had, because they had a small 3sq foot cage, and didn't have space or proper food or bedding for them. They weren't going to be able to keep them. So please, consider that some shelters are not much better qualified to have piggies, either. They put down animals regularly, after all.

About the whole guinea pig at petstore vs shelter thing, I must say this. If you pay the $30 at a petstore, who are you supporting? You are supporting the big fat cats who only care about how much money they're getting, and not about the animals! But, if you adopt from an animal shelter, who are you supporting? A group of workers (and volunteers) who genuinely care about the animals, and want to see it with a loving family. If an animal get euthanized, it's because the shelter cannot spend $4,000+ on one animal with they're small budget. Yes, I know shelters aren't perfect, but just think about it...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.