Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores PetSmart Supplier *Graphic Video*

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
@KittyKrocket - The reason animal advocates and animal lovers don't buy from pet super stores like Petsmart is because of supply and demand. Economics 101. If you are selling an item and that item is flying off the shelves you will get more of that item, stock more of that item and request bigger shipments from your supplier. On the other hand if that item is just sitting there and no one is buying it then you are less likely to stock much of the item, request shipments from your supplier less often and if the item really isn't worth it to keep around you will stop selling it all together. Especially an item that costs you money to keep in stock such as an animal since it eats, drinks and needs to be cleaned and vetted.

The only way stores like Petsmart will stop selling animals is when it makes fiscal sense to do so.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Many of the pigs we buy (and yes, the exchange of money for items is buying, whether it is at a shelter or store) from the shelter probably spent part their lives at a supplier such as this, thus also contributing to the problem.

You're right that some of the antecedents of our pigs came from supplier such as this, but paying money for them at a shelter, or rescue, or someone rehoming their pet on Craigslist is in no way contributing to the problem. Every shelter and rescue that I know of operates on a shoestring and often in the red, with the owner, and probably many of his/her friends and family, contributing their own funds to keep the pigs fed, bedded, and vetted. Many go out of business because their owners are so burned out, or because they've run out of money.

But when you pay the same amount of money to a pet store or breeder, it represents profit to the store and to the breeding mill, and the store will order another pig to replace the one it sold you. Not only that, but the breeders' sows will be kept continually pregnant until they're worn out, and then they're discarded. Do you know the term "hammer head?" It's how many unwanted sows are killed -- with a hammer to the head.

So the money goes for entirely different purposes -- rescue, shelter, food and care in one case, and in the pet store owner's and the breeder's pockets in the other. Not the same at all.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
They put down animals regularly, after all.
Why do you think they regularly put animals down? Because breeders keep breeding them. That's why shelters are so full.

vania

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=23714]KittyKrochet[/MENTION], I am sure almost all of the piggies from shelters and rescues were once bought at a store. But like many people have said, they exist to rescue those that were given up by their owners. Rescues and shelters give them a second chance. It doesn't matter where they came from, they ended up being dumped either way and need a home as well. What's bad about buying from stores is that we are then supporting those terrible breeding mills, by adopting, we are giving those unwanted pets from stores a second chance at having a good life with out adding to the demand of mill animals.

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
@everyone: I understand what everyone is saying. All I am saying is that I don't see how you all can blatantly throw away the life of a petstore piggie because, unfortunately, it was bred by a horrible supplier. That is in no way shape or form the pigs fault. ALL I have read on this website is OH TOO BAD DONT FEEL SORRY FOR IT LET IT CONTINUE TO SUFFER AT THE STORE. And I heartily disagree with that mindset. If you actually read what I said, I never said that shelters are worse than the petstores.

@inle_rabbit: Thank you for the condescention on supply and demand. AP classes and uni classes have cleared that definition up for me, thanks. But believe you me, petstores are going to buy from breeders more or less depending on a number of different factors, not just the demand, which is steadily about the same, more or less, each month. This is why I said it's more important in my opinion that we do less shaming of people who DO buy from the petstores, and more shaming of the people who RUN the mills.

Again, I understand the concept of adoption. MY girls are adopted. I explained that in my own post. Guys, please, before you jump down my throat because I'm CLEARLY wrong for expressing an opinion on a forum that I was under the assumption was opinion based, read and digest the entire post.

Thanks.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=23714]KittyKrochet[/MENTION] , I understand where you're coming from. If I could I would buy all the animals sold in petstores if I knew my money wasn't going to the suppliers. I can never go into petstores because seeing all the animals in there just breaks my heart. I fully agree that they deserve a happy life too. I rescued my pets instead because I hate the idea of people (breeding mills) getting paid for the mistreatment of helpless animals.
I don't support petstores because petstores support breeding mills. I wish people were more educated on where their pets come from when buying from petstores.
I just don't see the need to breed animals when there are so many lovely pets in rescues/shelters that need loving homes.

vania

Cavy Slave
If we bought the animals in pet stores because we feel bad for them, the demand would be greater, so the supply would also be greater and then even more animals would suffer. I feel bad for those pets in pet stores, but we should work to educate and spread the word about rescues and shelters, as well as discouraguing people to buy from pet stores. I think that on this forum, we are respectful to people that bought their pets from the stores. When they don't see what's bad about it, that's when stronger opinons are shared on the subject.

Liloismybaby

Cavy Slave
I don't think all of that is real. I just got my guinea pig from there and when I was picking her out, all of them look healthy and were all running. The only problems I have are they aren't handled and I am pretty sure she is pregnant right now. It has only been a few days since I have gotten her to!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
All I am saying is that I don't see how you all can blatantly throw away the life of a petstore piggie because, unfortunately, it was bred by a horrible supplier.

The problem isn't THAT pet store piggy. It's the ones who will come after it, and the sows who will breed them, that are the problem. Yes, you get one cute piggy. And the store orders another, and someone buys it, and another one is ordered. And the chain goes on and on. So yes, you've saved one pig in a pet store, and by so doing, made sure another one will take its place.

Everyone who buys a pet store pig and thinks what a wonderful thing they've done by "rescuing" that one pig should ALSO think to themselves, "And I condemned another one to exactly the same fate, and a sow to a pregnancy with no medical care."

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think all of that is real.

All of what is real, [MENTION=23924]Liloismybaby[/MENTION]?

Liloismybaby

Cavy Slave
That they neuter/spay rabbits like that. I have been back there with my aunt and there was nothing like that back there. THey all have had proper schooling to become a vet. I here my aunt all the time talk about it.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes, yes, pet stores are bad, but can I please not have to see that again? It really messes with my head and emotions. I don't even step into pet stores already.

Oh and one thing I want to point out, PETA started out right but has one of the highest kill rates when it comes to their shelter(s?). I personally don't listen to much of what they say anymore. But what I do listen to is the fact that pet stores and breeders are horrible places that just want to turn a quick buck.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Oh and one thing I want to point out, PETA started out right but has one of the highest kill rates when it comes to their shelter(s?). I personally don't listen to much of what they say anymore. But what I do listen to is the fact that pet stores and breeders are horrible places that just want to turn a quick buck.

Thank you for pointing out that PETA isn't all good. A lot of what they do is to shock you into listening them - and then they try to convince you of their ways. Some of the stuff they try to do is good, but they DO kill animals, and support the killing of animals, which bugs me!

vania

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I don't support PETA at all. But I do think this is real and pets are treated very badly at breeding mills and at pet stores. They can't make those images up, it's real that this happen. Hopefully not everywhere, but I think most places do not have good living conditions.

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Everyone who buys a pet store pig and thinks what a wonderful thing they've done by "rescuing" that one pig should ALSO think to themselves, "And I condemned another one to exactly the same fate, and a sow to a pregnancy with no medical care."

THIS is the problem I have with this whole thing. The shaming. THAT is the entire reason I sat here tonight and posted on this. The "oh that's nice but you're really a horrible person". We all sit here and argue over it, and then that's it. Telling someone who decides to buy at a petstore that they are "wrong" and whatnot does nothin. Try actually going to a mill to protest, or do something more along the lines of what PETA did here or call the ASPCA or RSPCA or whatever agency it is in whatever country. PURPOSEFULLY making people feel like horrible, abusive people when they are NOT is just as gross as that video.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My opinion is you are trying to start a fight over a hot button issue in a pro rescue forum. You also seem to forget, despite the college classes, the Internet is anonymous for all I knew I was talking to a 13 year old child who knew nothing of the real world.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
I did not watch the video, I am grateful that I read a few comments first. I am not in denial of the horrible atrocities inflicted on animals in "the industry" (for example, look at the sudden rush for Froie Gras in this city - due to the recent banning starting last Saturday). However, I am fairly certain that this video should have had a warning in it's thread title regarding content. It just sounds like it due to responses, again I didn't watch it because I can't fill my brain with disturbing visuals (I suffer from enough anxiety issues as it is :)).

Yes, shelters are full and yes people breed irresponsibly...do you all buy eggs from free range, no hormone, naturally fed chickens? They're like 3x the price of regular eggs so many do not. If you don't, is a chicken's life worth less than a guinea pig, rabbit, dog, cat? Do we care more because the over population of animals in the shelter is a constant reminder? Have you seen what chickens that provide eggs go through on a large scale farm? It is awful. We have many many battles ahead of us...over population is only one of them.

EverGreenly

Cavy Slave
You're right, I should have put a disclaimer in the thread title and I do apologize for that. As I said earlier, I don't condone PETA either, I only wanted to demonstrate why we oppose pet stores and such. I CANNOT go into a pet store because I am UNABLE to say 'no'. I would come home with every animal on the shelf, but I know the system. This is why I go to a pet store that doesn't sell animals and only adopts them out. (also having hubby with me helps A LOT... he is my reasoning)

All I'm saying is now you know what goes on, and if you've bought a guinea pig from a store that's okay... but now you have the information to make a better decision in the future and try to find a rescue/shelter.

vania

Cavy Slave
Yes, shelters are full and yes people breed irresponsibly...do you all buy eggs from free range, no hormone, naturally fed chickens? They're like 3x the price of regular eggs so many do not. If you don't, is a chicken's life worth less than a guinea pig, rabbit, dog, cat? Do we care more because the over population of animals in the shelter is a constant reminder? Have you seen what chickens that provide eggs go through on a large scale farm? It is awful. We have many many battles ahead of us...over population is only one of them.
I agree with you, if we all care so much about our small animals and how they are treated, think about how other animals literally are born to suffering and live out their lives suffering every single day. This is the meat we buy in super markets. Eating this supports the suffering and cruel treatment of millions of animals.
I believe animals were made to be eaten, but I do not eat meat or any animal product from markets because of how cruelly and unnaturally that animal was raised. I will anything that my friends and family hunt though because that animal has lived out it's life in nature and they don't suffer their entire lives, they are also killed humanely.
If we care about animal suffering, we should look into the meat we eat.

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
THIS is the problem I have with this whole thing. The shaming. THAT is the entire reason I sat here tonight and posted on this. The "oh that's nice but you're really a horrible person". We all sit here and argue over it, and then that's it. Telling someone who decides to buy at a petstore that they are "wrong" and whatnot does nothin. Try actually going to a mill to protest, or do something more along the lines of what PETA did here or call the ASPCA or RSPCA or whatever agency it is in whatever country. PURPOSEFULLY making people feel like horrible, abusive people when they are NOT is just as gross as that video.

I bought 4 of my 8 guinea pigs from a pet store. I have never been shamed for doing so. I am soooooooo THANKFUL to everyone on this site that has informed me about how awful the story is where they came from. I will only rescue from now on because I am making a difference . That means I saved a sow from having another litter. If everyone on this site doesn't buy from petstores that makes a huge difference. Everyone on this site is doing their part by informing newcomers. No one shames, more gets frustrated when people like you for example come along and say its ok. I do not think the pigs at the petstore have any less right to life then a rescue pig but you have to understand that you are not helping the situation by buying them. Why not just rescue since there are plenty of pigs in rescues. Why is their life any less valuable then the pigs in the petstores. I don't understand why you are so angry at everyone. If no one had said anything I never would have known.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.