Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

petsmart and petco negatives

dutygirl24

Cavy Slave
I recently had a horrible problem with a business and their idea of marketing. Apparently because dieing animals don't sell well or encourage it. Injured and sick animals of all breeds are just thrown into a bin STILL ALIVE!!!!! I went to look at the animals as I do every Saturday when I pick up supplies. I'm always looking for the sickest animals to adopt. I picked up a horribly sick cat. She's doing excellent but when I looked at the piggies ( I would never buy an animal) I would adopt definately. But I was looking in on them. One little piggie smaller then the others had been laying on it's back and sick. Others were picking it apart. I notified someone thinking they would take it to the vet (Connected) Well, he didn't ! He picked it up and put it in a bag!!!!!! HE threw it away still breathing!!!!!!! HOw would you suggest I stop this terror!!!!!!

P.S. he wouldn't let me take it unless I paid for it!!!!!

Mrs. Chico

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
This isn't an uncommon thing from Petsmart or Petco...If you Youtube PetsMarts Dirty Little Secret you'll find even more "behind the doors" cruelty. People have been trying to get them to change their ways for ages, but so far none of it has worked. My best advise is to boycott their business and write a letter explaining why. Maybe one day, they'll get a clue. :(

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I would alert whatever authorites deal with animal issues in your area. It can't possibly be legal to throw out a live animal!!! I would speak to the police or humane society and report them.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If they are tossing out still live animals in the trash, you need to call the animal control, the ASPCA, a rescue group or even the local newspapers/television station.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I agree wth Ly!! Do something about it!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
You need to not only report it, but also go back and see if you can get pictures of things like this. Send them not only to your local animal control, but also to your newspaper and to your local news stations.

Also, it's a good thing that the store clerk didn't let you just take the sick animal. I know you think you would have been doing some thing good by taking that animal, and perhaps for that one animal you would have, but in the grand scheme of things, you would just have been enabling the store to continue on in their shoddy practices.

For anything to change, they must be held accountable financially for the treatment of their animals. That means that people must report these types of situations to every agency possible to ensure that not only regulatory agencies are aware, but also that the surrounding public is aware of what's going on.

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
You guys think Petco and petsmart are bad? I have a few horror stories that I could tell you from places that I've been to (I like to walk around pet stores). There was one kinda small chain they had when I was in MA where they sold pets in the mall. The employees were no better than highschool kids who were just there to stand, talk, and make a paycheck. One day I went in there with the intention of buying a guinea pig and I asked one of the girls if she would help me find a female (before I found out how to sex them for myself) and she was picking the pigs up and just being absolutely brutal in handling them and then when they'd start to panic (as is normal) and squirm and scratch her she'd toss them back down in the bin. I moved back to Indiana and once again was just walking around my different local pet stores (I've been in all of them now) and they all are atrocious. There's one in particular though that is beyond bad and I thought it was shut down for the longest time but they had just moved. They overbreed everything to the point of insanity and at their new store it's absolutely filthy and they don't take care of any of the animals. The lady that I see there half of the time is just walking around or standing in one spot talking on the phone. The guinea pigs are in these big grey containers and the baby's get to be on chips but the adults that they can't get rid of are on wire flooring in this bin. Not only that, but I was in there a couple of weeks ago and they had this huge beautiful albino adult and I picked it up and it's eye was bleeding. I mean there was fresh blood and everything on it's fur and you could see it around the edges in the eye. It was in there with two other adult guinea pigs and I know for a fact that the store doesn't bother to seperate the different sexed guinea pigs. The puppies make me sad too because they often have sometimes as many as 4 puppies to one cage and the cages are decent size for one puppy, two at the most but they are no place for more than that. They also stink like they only clean them once a month. I go in there to pet and hold the animals (kinda strange I know) and I want to cry every time cause it sickens me and makes me so sad and I feel so helpless against it.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I hope you did something more about it than simply posting the story here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.