Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Pets< name all your pets

@Inle_Rabbit I love the beetles! They are cute. Are they hard to care for?

We have a 4 year old female short haired Guinea pig ,name Cici, Dog pit bull,male, named Zuess he is 4.. Dog german/chow mix Bubba 7 years old, then our other girl. Booboo,dashound(weeine dog) she 7 also. We love all our pets.

I have two girl piggies, Radley and Olive :)

Pets< name all your petsPets< name all your pets
Radley is the black one and Olive is the brown and white one.

I also have a Bichon Frise named Bear!
Pets< name all your pets

Two pigs, Abyssinian Amy (named for Futurama) and American shorthair Quinn (named for Daria).

Four cats: Tooncinator, named for an old Saturday Night Live skit; Stitch, named for the cartoon, since he was technically "not for adoption" at the shelter, but we took him anyway; Farquaad, since he was tiny like his namesake when he got him, and now he has the Farquaad attitude; and SheiKra, named for the roller coaster I got stuck on for 20 minutes in a storm, which delayed me just enough to see some idiot toss him onto the expressway.

One Appaloosa horse, Figment, named for the Epcot character in what used to be my favorite ride (can't stand the current version, but still love the character).

One Quaker parrot, Truman, named for the Jim Carrey movie. That was almost Stitch's name because the shelter picked him up in the suburb of Burbank, which is the character Truman's last name. The cat got a different name, and "Truman" bounced to the next pet.

@Wildcavy -

These beetles are so easy to care for and they are awesome! They are a type of beetle called Darklings. They originate from desert areas in the US, can live communally and are scavengers that eat nearly anything. There are over 20,000 species of Darkling beetles worldwide so one can build a very interesting display tank with all the body types, there are not a lot of colors with this family (tenebrionid) though, they are mostly black and brown. The Blue Death Feigning Beetle (the blue one above in my picture) is the most colorful of the American types, which are nearly the only ones legal in the US, they are found in the southwestern US. They are very active beetles. We had an Easter Hercules Beetle (Dynastes tityus) over the summer and it never did much and it was stinky and they only live a season. The Darklings however are always on the go, have no odor at all unless you drop them or something then they spray and most live a year or more. The longest living type is probably the death feigning beetles, one was recorded living 17 years.

Their care is very basic:

• They require an aquarium with a good amount of ventilation and no humidity since they are from the desert
  • They cannot climb glass since as a family they do not have pulvilli
  • They need a substrate of 50-70% coconut coir/50-30% sand mixed together
  • They need something to drink from like a shallow dish with rocks
  • They eat organic vegetables and fruit. They eat almost any type of processed pet food but need dog, cat or fish food for protein. They :love: fish food, carrots and potato! They also need some sort of organic grain; I feed mine oatmeal and ground flax seed.
  • They are more active with a heat source. I use an incandescent fish tank hood but an under tank heater will also work or they are fine at room temperature.

And that is pretty much it. You can learn more in depth and science-y stuff from the book (broken link removed) or on the Beetle Forum where I am a member, though not a very active one :eek:.

I found some of my beetles since I live in Texas and bought some from a number of sources. I'd be happy to give you the websites if you were interested or you can find them on the Beetle Forum. I have been, very, very happy with my choice to add beetles to our pet family. It has been a very interesting learning experience for the kids and they are the closest pet to 0 maintenance I have ever had. Seriously after the tank is set up, food and water is about all they need and if you forget to feed or water them they can go a long while before they feel the effects. Here is a video of some of our beetles in action and the tank before I upgraded it to Spider-Man Themed (it is in my boys' room!)

Pets< name all your pets

@Wildcavy -

These beetles are so easy to care for and they are awesome! They are a type of beetle called Darklings. They originate from desert areas in the US, can live communally and are scavengers that eat nearly anything. There are over 20,000 species of Darkling beetles worldwide so one can build a very interesting display tank with all the body types, there are not a lot of colors with this family (tenebrionid) though, they are mostly black and brown. The Blue Death Feigning Beetle (the blue one above in my picture) is the most colorful of the American types, which are nearly the only ones legal in the US, they are found in the southwestern US. They are very active beetles. We had an Easter Hercules Beetle (Dynastes tityus) over the summer and it never did much and it was stinky and they only live a season. The Darklings however are always on the go, have no odor at all unless you drop them or something then they spray and most live a year or more. The longest living type is probably the death feigning beetles, one was recorded living 17 years.

Their care is very basic:

• They require an aquarium with a good amount of ventilation and no humidity since they are from the desert
  • They cannot climb glass since as a family they do not have pulvilli
  • They need a substrate of 50-70% coconut coir/50-30% sand mixed together
  • They need something to drink from like a shallow dish with rocks
  • They eat organic vegetables and fruit. They eat almost any type of processed pet food but need dog, cat or fish food for protein. They :love: fish food, carrots and potato! They also need some sort of organic grain; I feed mine oatmeal and ground flax seed.
  • They are more active with a heat source. I use an incandescent fish tank hood but an under tank heater will also work or they are fine at room temperature.

And that is pretty much it. You can learn more in depth and science-y stuff from the book (broken link removed) or on the Beetle Forum where I am a member, though not a very active one :eek:.

I found some of my beetles since I live in Texas and bought some from a number of sources. I'd be happy to give you the websites if you were interested or you can find them on the Beetle Forum. I have been, very, very happy with my choice to add beetles to our pet family. It has been a very interesting learning experience for the kids and they are the closest pet to 0 maintenance I have ever had. Seriously after the tank is set up, food and water is about all they need and if you forget to feed or water them they can go a long while before they feel the effects. Here is a video of some of our beetles in action and the tank before I upgraded it to Spider-Man Themed (it is in my boys' room!)

Our Darkling Beetle Tank - YouTube

View attachment 38592

Oops. Didnt mean to put it up there again. Sorry. But i never had beetles as pets. Must be a neat experience.

@Inle_Rabbit I'd love to get more info from you! The video was great. I'll pretend I'm interested on behalf of the kids, but the reality is that I like beetles. eeep.

I have 4 male piggies Ziggy, Marley, Gizmo and Scooby, female piggie Cali (my daughters), 2 cats Smokey and Pumpkin, 1 Dog Jack Russell Terrier Penni, Sulcata Tortoise Torti, teddy bear hamster Willy, bearded dragon Fire, 3 fish tanks fish dont have names and an African Gray Parrot Ruffles.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Sorry dont have a picture of my hamster or my parrot

Attachments

image.jpg
Guinea Pigs: Nala(American Shorthair) Pumpkin(Abby)
Dog: Hershey(Chocolate Lab)
Horse: Chevy(Quarter Horse/ Canadian Cutting Horse/ Mustang)

Guinea Pigs: Milo, Oscar & Cas
Cat: Gracie
Dog: Shadow

2 pigs. Harley and Squirrely
1 Cuy guinea pig Xena
1 Dog Frenchton Bosco
1 Cat Livingstone

Guinea pig(Silkie)(Gray agouti and white banded: Lizzie
Guinea pig(American Satin)(tricolor tan black and white):Marie
Cat(Japanese bobtail/american shorthair?(Gray):Frankie (Female)
Betta fish(Double tail)(peach and red butterfly):Georgio
Betta fish(Half moon)(black and blue dragon):Armani
and then I have 5 hermit crabs (Indo,purple pincher,purple pincher,purple pincher maybe indo not sure and blueberry)(Toyota man,coral,barlow,rocky and blue blaze.

Last edited:
4 piggies. Comet, Patches, Fireball, and Morty

Guinea Pigs: Ginger, Mocha, Daisy, Pepper, Ziggy and Teddy
Dogs: Ehli and Bentley
Bearded Dragon: Bob
200 fish - only one has a name: Big Bertha!

5 piggies: Joy Maria Burrito Lopez (Jumble), Picckalo, Oink, Grace, and Cody. Seven gerbils: Jelly, Squiggle, and Dribbles. Squiggle had a surprise batch of 4 babies this morning, so they don't have names yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.