Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Petition against giving animals as gifts

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Obviously sunny dictation isn't going to stop people from doing it, but at least we should be able to stop Petco from advertising small animal starter kits specifically geared towards the holidays for $40. The kits are cheap, the cages are tiny, The kits come with a small cage, a small bag of bedding, a small bag of food, and a water bottle. That's it. It's going to be Easter bunnies in shelters all over again.
https://www.change.org/p/petco-dr-f...g-the-sale-of-live-animals-as-christmas-gifts

And the commercial for them https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-7zvWE2vSzg&list=PL79071DBC502D1297&app=desktop

sorry if this thread isn't supposed to be here, I don't know whether or not I am allowed to put this kind of thread on the forum let alone where it would belong

Attachments

image.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
They run a business and make their profits by selling things. Don't buy the cages and don't shop there if you don't want them to be profitable. They aren't breaking any laws or doing anything unethical by selling substandard cages. As long as people continue to buy them, they'll continue selling them. I'd be more concerned about them selling animals than cages.

Butterfly88

Cavy Slave
I signed!!!!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You could also look at it as the holiday starter kits encourage buying pets on impulse or buying pets as gifts, which in my opinion makes this unethical advertising. Both are horrible circumstances that frequently lead to poorly cared for or unwanted pets.

Perhaps if it was not so "easy" to just buy everything they think the pet will need in one go then the buyer would have to think more about their purchase, leading to less impulse purchases. Sure they aren't directly advertising the sale of small animals but I would be willing to bet a vast majority of people purchasing the starter kits would also get an animal to go along with it, likely in the same purchase or shortly afterwards. Also it can be noted that they in no way encourage adopting small animals like they do with cats or dogs.

Last edited:

CreamCheese

Cavy Slave
My opinion on things like this is it's okay if the cage is too small as long as they can walk a couple steps and get 30 minutes a day of free time BUT only for one month. Then it's time to upgrade; get a better cage, maybe another piggy, some more huts, toys, pillows, tunnels, ect. I admit that my guinea pig had the same cage that was in this add but that was for less than a month. I never got a second guinea pig because at the shelter that I got her she was frightened of the other pigs, and she has a temper. I'm afraid that she would hurt her buddy.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Oh my God no. A couple of steps? Would you like to live in your bathroom? Even for one month?

CreamCheese, perhaps if you had a large enough cage your guinea pig would be fine with a buddy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.