Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petco Adoptions - Yay or Nay?

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
So I'm looking to add another guinea pig and make my duo a trio. My two piggies I have were bought from the mom and pop pet store (by my husband before we knew the sadness and dangers that comes with pet store animals), but I don't want to/will not make that same mistake again.

I've been scouring Craigslist, search engines on pet finders and the few shelters I've found have none nor have they ever had any. I've even been searching up to 2 hours away.

BUT my local PetCo has the occasional (I think monthly) adoption event. These pets are animals from private shelters where they adopt the animals from the humane society shelter that were on death row. I know this for sure because these animals have back stories and most are clearly still very skittish from past neglect or abuse. They usually have small and furries and in the past (before I was ever interested in guinea piggies) I've seen GP's before! They have small rehoming fees (I believe in the past I've seen $20-$45, depending on species and whether they have been altered or not) for shots and other expenses, etc.

Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to adopt a guinea pig rather than buy? While it's taking place within a pet store, it's not buying one from there but adopting from a shelter using PetCo as a venue (probably because they do sell animals and it gets a lot of traffic)?

I really like this idea... What are some of you guys thinking?

I was sure where to put this thread so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

If it is from an adoption event and none of the money goes to the store you are fine. Lots of pet shops hold adoption events though usually for dogs and cats.

The Petco nearest me usually holds events for the local rabbit rescue.

I'll ask the next time they have one! With this one, I've seen cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, and even rats!

I run a guinea pig rescue. I've been asked by the local Petcos to come and set up a table at their adoption events. I've always declined. This is why--

Petco sells guinea pigs.

If they didn't sell them I'd be there in a heartbeat with my rescue display. The rabbit rescue goes there, but our Petcos around here don't sell rabbits. The cat and dog rescues go there, but our Petcos don't sell cats and dogs.

Petco claims to be "adoption first". However, their adoption booklet is in a dusty unused portion of the store. No one is directed to go and look through it before buying a guinea pig.

I will add that I think it's strange that you can't find any guinea pigs that need to be re-homed. Why not contact the private rescues independently without going through Petco?

Any time there is a store selling guinea pigs, there are people needing to re-home guinea pigs. Perhaps if you give us your general location we can attempt to help you find some.

There is one I'm going to call today but that's the only one I know of that may or may not have some.

I would love the help if you like! I love in Gadsden AL 35904.

I have checked Craigslist but the few I've found are either old posting or I Cannes tell if they are breeders or not.
Thank you!

If you do find any, would you mind messaging me?

I found one! Yay! I actually found a friend of a friend who had an accidental pregnancy and the babies will be ready for rehome in two weeks! She has a boy and he's so so cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.