Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Supplies "Plus"

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
I was so excited when a new pet store opened in town. Then I went in and saw the sign on the cage that said they can't guarantee the sex of any pets they sell. I immediately asked for the manager and told him it was innexcusably irresponsible for them to sell pets without knowing the sex, and he said it was corporate policy. I told him I work in the foster care program at the local shelter and it is because of stores like his that we have so many animals to care for. I also told him I will no longer come there and that I will tell others not to go there as well. I have written to the corporate headquarters and I would encourage anyone here to do the same.

Pet Supplies Plus

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I guess we're lucky. Our local Pet Supplies Plus is one of our last available stores I'm willing to shop in. They don't sell pets, just supplies. There is one other place like that, but they let backyard breeders advertise in their store, so I won't shop there, either.

Guineapigluver2

Cavy Slave
Have you seen there pet info about guinea pigs Pet Supplies Plus
I especially hate the part where it says 'will thrive in pet store cage' and 'guinea pigs will thrive on a varitiy of commercially availible foods' grrrr at least they say to keep together two of the same sex so they dont reproduce.

deathnotronic

Cavy Slave
Yeah the Pet Supplies Plus here doesn't sell animals either. You'd think it'd be an all or nothing situation.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
The Pet Supply Plus around me sells only fish. But they are so expensive. I go to Blue Seal Feeds because they are cheap, sell no animals, and its where I get my goat and pig food anyway. I looked at their guinea pig care oinfo and It says only 2 square ft. for one pig and a 1 sq. ft. per each added pig. Gr!

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Just my take on it. If ever one of the stores in this chain sells animals, then none of their stores should get our business. You are still contributing to the problem by supporting them in any way shape or form.

Jess Z

Cavy Slave
We have one too. My brother and my mom know how I feel about petstores and they went out and bought a hamster from there! Ours is disgusting. The pigs are in aquariums and are always sick and lethargic looking. I hate this place so much.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I have bad experience with that store. Check the older posts. I think maybe the last one was in October or something.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
According to their website, they're a franchise, so supporting one store that does not sell animals does not send money into the corporate moneybase to help fund the stores that do. Each store is owned by a separate person, generally somewhat local, but they pay money to be able to use the "Pet Supplies Plus" brand.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
The last I heard, Blue Seal guinea pig food was of mediocre quality.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I live near Detroit, MI. We have Petco, Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, and a handful of mom-and-pop type stores. On a monthly basis I go through 4 bags of cat food (two for the cats and two of a different brand for the ferrets), 3-4 bags of dog food (depending on how many fosters I have at the time), 3-4 bags of cavy food, 3-4 bags of chinchilla food, 8 feeder rats, 4 feeder mice, a bucket of "suebees" rat mix, 3-4 bags of hay, 100 or more crickets and about as many feeder fish. Plus a big bag of clay litter and 2-3 boxes of scoopable litter. That's NOT counting the mass quantities of greens and veggies we need for both lizards, the cavies, the degus, the chinchillas and the rats. We can't seem to find the good brands of cavy/chin food locally in anything but the small bags, or we'd buy it that way, for sure. I don't have a credit card and don't like to order online. All of this gets VERY expensive, and most of the mom-and-pop stores are seriously overpriced in this area. I can provide good care for all of my animals, but I can't spend more on things than I have to just on principle. I can't.

There is ONE non-chain store that I was willing to shop in, and I'll admit I still do if I can't find my brand of dogfood anywhere else, but I try not to. They don't sell animals, but they might as well, as they have GOBS of ads up all over their store from back-yard-breeders (mostly dogs). So... I can support the sale of small animals, or the irresponsible uncontrolled breeding and sale of hundreds and hundreds of dogs. It's a really bad choice to have to make.

I wish there was a well-priced pet-supplies store in my area that didn't do either, but so far as I can tell, there isn't.

Ally has U's

Cavy Slave
NOT related to piggies BUT...

I bought a small can of dog food today from a pet supplies plus in my area and the dog food was rotten and smelled awful. The expiration date was October 2006!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.