Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Pet Supermarket

kapplepig

Cavy Slave
I usually buy my guinea pig supplies (hay, pellets, fun stuff) at the PetSmart near where I live in Lexington, KY because the staff is knowledgeable and this particular location cooperates with the Lexington Humane Society to re-home dogs and cats. However, when I was searching for a cat scratching post to use as a ramp in my piggies' new cage I tried out a store closer to my home called "Pet Supermarket". I will never shop there again.

I found a suitable scratching post and made my way to the guinea pig enclosure because I can never resist an opportunity to hold a baby piggy. A few of the pigs were lethargic and glassy-eyed, a sure sign of sickness, while the rest were frolicking around and mounting each other. I picked up a few to check for females and one of the employees came over to ask what I was doing. I said I was sexing the pigs, and he asked HOW CAN YOU TELL?! A female employee then approached and told me not to explain it to him, that she would explain later. So, I proceeded to explain it to him.

I took my scratching post and headed to the check out. I suggested to the employee at the counter that the two sexes should be separated to prevent breeding and he responded with a "Yeah, I know." I replied that I wasn't trying to tell him how to do his job, just giving a suggestion. Again he said "I know."

Not only were the guinea pigs in poor conditions, but the employees were all rude and inexperienced. I guess that's what you get from a chain store.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Report them to the corporate office. I sent an Email to Petsmart once, and it was rsponded to within 24 hrs. It took longer to see the change in the store, but the problem was corrected eventually. Someone has to tell corporate to get the local chain to change.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
In all fairness, nobody really likes someone coming in and telling them how to do their job, or that they're doing something wrong. That type of advice is always better received if you try your best not to sound condescending. I think I'd call the manager up and politely discuss it, or I might have asked to speak to him/her there. The approach and attitude you take is very important when you actually want to see something done.

kapplepig

Cavy Slave
I can assure you, I was perfectly polite until they became cross with me.

Tangled

Cavy Slave
In all fairness, nobody really likes someone coming in and telling them how to do their job, or that they're doing something wrong. That type of advice is always better received if you try your best not to sound condescending. I think I'd call the manager up and politely discuss it, or I might have asked to speak to him/her there. The approach and attitude you take is very important when you actually want to see something done.

I agree with this. The other thing is you can complain to the employees who are working the cash register all you want, but most of them don't care in the first place or don't have the power to change anything anyway. If you have an issue with something, an email to corporate or talking to the manager would be your best bet in that sort of situation.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm sure you felt you were polite, and I'm sure you probably were - but my point is, you have to almost bend over backwards to make sure you don't seem rude or standoffish. And you have to understand that when you walk into someone's place of employment and proceed to make "suggestions" on the way something is being done, rightly or wrongly, you're immediately perceived as rude and standoffish - hence, you have to try a bit harder to make sure you're really heard, and that means working really hard NOT to sound rude.

Also agree on the comment of approaching folks working at the cash registers. They are probably the folks who hear complaints the most, and I'm sure it gets wearing in very short order - especially because they generally aren't in a position to do anything, even if they care.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
I live in Nicholasville and go to that same store fairly often. You are right, they are very unexperienced there. I like Incredipet on Southland drive more. I get the large bag of Oxbow hay for 9 dollars, and Oxbow food for 10 dollars. Cheapest prices I have ever found ...plus they don't sell any animal except fish. You don't get frustrated walking through the store looking at poor animals caged up wrongly.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Pet Supermarket is where I bought Mufasa, who died in 15 days of a URI, and it's also the place where they crammed way too many bunnies in with guinea pigs for Easter (and I saw with my own eyes the next baby pig who came from a mill to take Mufasa's place...made me want to cry).

I went in one of their other locations for comparison, as we ironically passed one on the way home after adopting Amy. I made hubby wait in the car while I ran in. Their pigs were less crowded, but they were in the same kind of low, open enclosure that allows anyone to poke and grab them at will. Must be a corporate-wide thing, which I think is awful as I've seen kids tormenting animals in the location near us.

I'll never shop at a Pet Supermarket again, and I understand the frustration about dealing with the employees because they're clueless at the one I used to shop at. They're nice enough and try very hard to be helpful, but I probably would have gotten a glassy-eyed stare if I'd pointed out the dangers of bunnies and guinea pigs (and I didn't trust myself to try since I'd probably have gone into a tirade about how they sell deathly ill guinea pigs and been asked to leave).

kapplepig

Cavy Slave
I sent a message about my experiences to the corporate office and I received an e-mail in reply saying they take the care and we'll-being of their animals very seriously and that they would forward my message to the district manager. They thanked me for my comments and apologized for the experience which prompted me to write.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.