Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

pet stores...grrr

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I was in a mall pet store today and for the first time (that I've seen) they had bunnies and piggies together. I was flabbergasted!! I told the staff that they shouldn't be housed together because their diets are different and the bunnies could seriously hurt the guinea pigs. The answer I got was "whatever" and then she turned back to tell her co-worker what she did last night. I was livid and will be calling the manager tomorrow.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
Sadly, it's more common than you think. I go into pet stores all the time that have rabbits and guinea pigs housed together. One store had only a rabbit water bottle in the cage and it was so high that the guinea pigs had to stand on their back legs to struggle to get a suck at the way-to-large sipper. They could only get the water immediately after a rabbit took a drink. Very sad. At least you were brave enough to say something, I never have.

PumpkinPunk

Cavy Slave
Pet stores are very sad places :( I was buying some shavings and pellets for my piggies a couple weeks ago and I went over to look at the pigs they have there to see what kind of conditions they were in and see that they had water etc. and while they all had water and pellets, there was not a blade of hay to be seen and of course no veggies or anything. A kid that worked there asked if he could help me with anything and I politely asked why they didn't have any hay and he said he didn't know, maybe they had some earlier in the day and I told him that guinea pigs were supposed to have unlimited hay all the time and the kid just had no idea what to say to me and kind of mumbled something and asked if there was anything else he could help me with and I said no and he left. It was obvious that he had no clue about GP care at all. And I wasn't rude either, I was trying to be as nice as possible. But I doubt that they get any hay at all. Anyways I'm done with my rant. Good job for speaking up about the guineas and rabbits, at least you tried, and hopefully the manager will be more likely to listen but I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
The thing I don't get about pet shops is that the people working there have absolutely no idea what they're selling. I mean, even from a consumer point of view shouldn't they know basic care about all their animals?

I mean, if I ever ended up having to work in a pet shop, I'd spend hours researching about all the animals there. Not only for the care of the animals, but so that I would be able actually give correct information to potential buyers.

pookczek

Cavy Slave
I've seen loads of horrible pet stores here in Edmonton (no hay, no hidey house, cavies with rabbits). I'd like to know what you're supposed to say to pet stores when you see a cavy in horrible conditions? Maybe there is a pdf pamphlet out there that we can hand out... or maybe we can make one.

Peaches

Cavy Slave
At least our store had them housed separatly. Cages are way too small by our (C&C) standards but at least they were clean and they had veggies and hay (at least the day I went in).

Unfortunately most pet store have a high turn over of people so training them might prove difficult esp since what they are paid around here, dont see people taking initiative as you say. Although it would be nice. I know my sister did when she worked there at least for her department.

Teria

Cavy Slave
I think the PDF page is a VERY good idea. I'm thinking about making one in german.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I was in a pet store and they were selling cedar for small animal bedding, so I asked the guy at the front counter is he knew that it killed small animals, and he said 'yes'. The guinea pigs (1 month olds, about 6 or 7 of them) all huddled in a ten gallon tank. No hay, no food, just water.

Teria

Cavy Slave
He knew, and still sold the stuff? That's criminal!

Denise

Cavy Slave
Not defending pet stores, but one in my area has recently put up a sign on their cedar bedding that says it is toxic to certain small pets, i.e. guinea pigs and the manager (I know her) said they are stopping people from buying it when they are buying those kinds of small pets. I guess small steps are better than no steps at all.

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Well, that went nowhere fast. The manager told me their small animals were "very well cared for thank you very much". a** Anyway, I have heard staff at the pet store down the street say similar things about products for all animals. "I don't know why we sell it 'cause it could kill the animal". I want to scream!!

Peaches

Cavy Slave
They sell it because it makes them a profit and its probably ok for some animals just not our lovely piggies....for (mostof) them its all about making money.

fawnmarie

Cavy Slave
I went into a Mom&Pop place and the ONLY thing wrong with their piggers were that they were housed with rabbits. Otherwise, they had plenty of room (even including the rabbits), lots of fresh aspen bedding, plenty of hideys, plenty of food and water (hay & pellets). I didn't understand why they weren't moved into the next pen, which was empty. The pens themselves were very, very big by pet store standards...they were open topped 'puppy pens' - basically 6'x10', and they had about 5 piggers and 2 bunnies in it.

THEN I went into another M&P to get food, and they had about 10 piggers stuck in a 2x2 foot WIRE bottom cage with absolutely NO food. They had turned their food dishes and hidey holes upside down so they could stand on them and in them to protect their feet.

I told the manager that the pigs were foodless - and jokingly mentioned that they had tried to steal the food I was buying from me. It was hard to hear because of the screaming parrots she had - whose mess and care she claimed kept her from feeding the pigs on time.

So - personally, I think housing with rabbits was pretty minor compared!

I plan on mailing them a guinea care pamphlet with the appropriate sections highlighted.

Fawn

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I will be reporting Pet supplies store today as soon as I get the number off of my friend. The 3 males had no proper housing at all, hardly any water, seeds in food and they were choking. Also on male had hardly any hair were his belly and legs were. I wanted to take them but I knew that if I did they would replace it with a new one and do the same thing.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
AngelsCavies said:
I will be reporting Pet supplies store today as soon as I get the number off of my friend. The 3 males had no proper housing at all, hardly any water, seeds in food and they were choking. Also on male had hardly any hair were his belly and legs were. I wanted to take them but I knew that if I did they would replace it with a new one and do the same thing.
Go for you! Go Angel!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
You got that right and also I am reporting to a local pet store right where I work. One of his birds had no feather on his chest and most of the small furry critters are in a fish tank. One rabbit had to be in a 55 gal, at least 10 10 gal filled with mouse, gerbils, and hammys. It made me sick so I have 2 to report. as soon as I report them I'll let you guys know.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I have gotten the # and email for PETA. I email them since they are long distance. Im waiting for their response.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Make sure you tell us what happens.

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Well they took my information today and they said that I should call the animal rescue, post in newspapers and more. Boy they really go out of their way for this. Im call the animal rescue to give them the addresses to these pet stores.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.