Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Pet Store Pellets

PenelopePig

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I am needing to pick up some pellets for my new pig as I bring her home today or tomorrow. I already have a good Timothy hay. I need the pellets to be at either Petsmart or Petco for this time around. I can happily order online later if anyone knows of a good online variety. At Petco I have seen Kaytee Timothy, Carefresh Complete Timothy, and Selective, as the only ones with Timothy in them. At Petsmart I am seeing Oxbox, Mazuri, and Kaytee. Any of these ok, I have liked Oxbow for rabbits and rats. My pig is a little rescue girl around a year old. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd go for the Oxbow right now, and then order KMS Hayloft pellets online. Depending on where you are, they'll be about the same as Oxbow, or maybe slightly higher. But they've got a different calcium source than Oxbow, and seem to cause fewer problems with urinary tract stones than Oxbow does.

PenelopePig

Cavy Gazer
Awesome, I appreciate your help. Do you know if the KM pellets are fit for both Guinea pigs and Rabbits? My mom has a rabbit, I am wondering if we can order and split the pellet amount? We are in West Texas about 10 from you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think guinea pig pellets are ok for rabbits, but not the other way around. Guinea pigs can't manufacture their own vitamin C, and rabbits can. So rabbit pellets don't usually have vitamin C added. But it won't hurt them.

PenelopePig

Cavy Gazer
Great thanks!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I would stay away from the Mazuri. I did the same as you, had to pick up a bag on the day I got my pigs. They did not like the Mazuri and ate very little of it. Also I later tried to look up the nutrition info online (it was not on the package) and (if I found the right label online) they were very high in calcium.

Maybe you can ask the person/rescue you are getting them from if they wouldn't mind giving/selling you a small bag of whatever they are currently eating. That would keep it consistent for the pigs and buy you some time to order online. Wish I had thought of that when I adopted.... : )

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't say they are very high in calcium, they are 16% higher than Oxbow's maximum but if you feed a veggie diet higher in calcium based on their minimum amount, you will be feeding a high calcium diet, if they are actually getting the maximum amount. I have been feeding Mazuri to my pigs for about a year and have had no problems but I also feed low calcium veggies.

https://www.oxbowvetconnect.com/products/type/detail?object=1582
Essentials - Adult Guinea Pig Food =

• Calcium (min) 0.35%
  • Calcium (max) 0.85%

http://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5664.pdf

Mazuri Timothy-Based Guinea Pig Diet # 5664 =

Calcium, % 1.1

[h=1][/h]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.