Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Pet Store Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave
What i so evil about buying guinea pigs from a pet store?:confused:

I know they treat them badly but i only see that as more of a reason to save a life and give them a home!

Just because they are treated badly doesn't mean that we need to just ignore them and wait for them to die!:grumpy:

I have 3 guinea pigs I have bought from pet stores and they are all amazing and loving creatures that deserve to get a chance at life.

I know people say buying them from a pet store is just encouraging them, but let's face it, pet stores are here to stay and there are too many irresponsible pet owners that will keep buying from them.

Another reason I used a pet store is because the nearest shelter to me is 3 hours away and I find that rediculous!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/47359-buying-pigs-petstores.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...e-breeding-care-housing-disaster-threads.html

Why don't you start there and do some reading.

Petstore pigs encourages breeding. Why breed more when there are thousands upon thousands out there that are in desperate need of homes. Petstores get their "stock" from backyard breeders and mills. Mills don't care about the animals, just how many they can produce. The "stock" is kept in tiny cages on the bare minimum of low quality pellets and water. No hay, no veggies, no large spaces to run and play, no vet care, just churn out more and more pigs til the sows drop over dead because they've been backbred too many times.

Then they are transported to the stores in the back of hot trucks with no air conditioning in tiny shoe box sized containers with multiple animals per box. The ones that actually survived the mills have yet another chance to die on the way to the petstore.

Once they get to the store, then they are put into tiny aquariums or tiny enclosures, given pellets and water again (with C drops which aren't beneficial), no hay, no veggies and await for someone to come along and purchase them. In turn, by purchasing them, you support breeding, mills, poor and abusive conditions and cause the death of many other pigs awaiting homes. Plus the fact that the one you buy gets replaced with at least 2 or more.

So there are just a few reasons why it's not good to buy in petstores.

I've seen people on this forum drive a lot further than 3 hours to adopt a pig from a shelter/rescue so that's not an excuse.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
but let's face it, pet stores are here to stay

Yes, pet stores (as in pet supply stores) are here to stay. However, stores that actually SELL animals are disappearing slowly but surely and many more rescues/shelters are popping up. Many (if not all) PetSmart's are now not allowed to sell cats or dogs, but they can adopt them out from local shelters/humane societies. In Ohio, many Petlands are shutting down due to poor sanitation and the selling of deathly ill cats and dogs from breeding mills. And I don't know about your area, but many Jack's Aquariums & Pets are just plain disgusting are losing business as we speak (they are in a similar situation as local Petlands). This is so much different than it was 5-10 years ago. Things are changing, and with continued support from sites like this we can change it so that small animals are not allowed to be sold either. You just have to support and follow what you believe.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I know they treat them badly but i only see that as more of a reason to save a life and give them a home!

Just because they are treated badly doesn't mean that we need to just ignore them and wait for them to die!:grumpy:
What about the poor piggies that deserve a home that are in shelters and then euthanized because they were bought by the wrong people?

I have 3 guinea pigs I have bought from pet stores and they are all amazing and loving creatures that deserve to get a chance at life.
Once again the piggies in shelters don't deserve a chance at life?

I know people say buying them from a pet store is just encouraging them, but let's face it, pet stores are here to stay and there are too many irresponsible pet owners that will keep buying from them.
But there are many responsible owners that learn their mistakes and change them resulting in people who do not support pet stores.

Another reason I used a pet store is because the nearest shelter to me is 3 hours away and I find that rediculous!
Laziness is no excuse for ignorance. I drive three hours just to the vet for my piggies. Call me crazy but there are others that do the same.

3 hours of travelling to rescue a pet is really not a big deal. There are many members of this site who have exceeded three hours of driving to rescue an animal deserving of a warm and loving home.

Please do a little more research and read the links provided by Ly&Pigs as they are full of useful information.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
What is so evil about buying guinea pigs from a pet store?

It's not that it's evil. It's that it's supporting a constant cycle of torture. Guinea pigs are bred by the thousands in tiny cages, in factory buildings where where they can hardly get comfortable. They are fed who knows what crap and are forced to live this way, while churning out more babies than their bodies can and should handle. Then, when their torture time is up, they die a slow, long death. No one will be there to care about them. No one will be there to provide veterinary care. No one will be there to help them. No one cares.

And what about the guinea pigs in shelters? Who will adopt them? They deserve homes, too.

See it this way: if you "save a life and give them a home," you're freeing up more space to house more guinea pigs, meaning you're feeding this cycle of torture. It doesn't help. It makes the problem worse.

Well, of course they are amazing and loving creatures - they're guinea pigs. And of course they need a chance at life. They're not mutant just because they came from a pet store. Regardless, supporting such treatment of animals only means you're being part of the problem.

The guinea pigs in shelters are amazing, loving, cute, sweet animals too. It's not like they're a whole lot different from pet store guinea pigs and vice versa. One is the bad choice, the other is the good choice. It's that simple.

This is a pro-rescue forum, so bragging about your pet store guinea pigs will get you nowhere.

I find that hard to believe. There are many responsible pet owners. And it's not just irresponsible pet owners. It's anyone who walks into that store and purchases anything. And I can guarantee you, it's less than 30% who actually buy a pet. So why do pet stores keep selling animals? It's because they walk in to buy dog food, they see an adorable guinea pig that they just must have. Then, they realize they need a cage, food, bedding, water bottle, etc. The pets drive the business. They don't make that much money, but they do drive the business. THAT is why pet stores sell guinea pigs.

I find it offensive that you believe pet stores are here to stay. With faith and bravery, anything can be accomplished. And if enough people care about the welfare of animals, then together we can change things. There are plenty of people who care about animals, so it's not impossible. In fact, it's the exact opposite.

So it's ridiculous to save a life? It's ridiculous to work a little harder to do the right thing? No, it is not. It's called being lazy. If you aren't willing to do what is right, then maybe it's not the right time to get a guinea pig. In case you haven't read it yet, HERE is a list of common excuses that you can't try on us.

Anyway, that's why you shouldn't buy from a pet store. I may sound harsh, but that's the way reality is.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Yep, and you've made an excellent case for this all by yourself, haven't you?

Katie_Kutthroat

Cavy Slave
I live in Ohio and the Pet land nearest to me was in the news for that crazy woman who drowned the rabbits and put the pictures on facebook. Petland is complete trash, I went in there before that incident to look at the animals when I was shopping for my prom dress at the mall and there was a poor little Himalayan kitten with poop caked in its fur. I told a woman who worked there and she said it's normal for that breed to get stuff caught in its fur but the poor thing looked like it hadn't been groomed in ages. I pretty much left the store about to cry. Pet stores aren't concerned about the health of the animal your buying, no one is saying your a bad person. But you are supporting a bad thing.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Everyone has pretty much covered what I was say, but I will say this.

To adopt my piggies, we're taking a six hour round trip. That means three hours each way. If you think that the travel time to save a life is ridiculous, then you're far worse than the ignorant you judge so harshly whom buy from pet stores. You know it's wrong yet you choose do to it out of sheer laziness. Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't realize we were in the 1700's and along with Louie the fourteenth you have been given divine right to do whatever you darn well want.

Spare me. At the least the people you look down upon for being poor pet owners are just ignorant. Tell me, what's worse? Ignorance, or ignoring knowledge? We do not judge the village idiot, for he does not know we feel sorry for him. We do however judge the lady who looks down upon the village idiot, recognizing his foolishness but not seeing her actions are the same as his, only worse.

You are the word incarnate of hypocrisy.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Let's not go down a bad path. There are very nice and tactful ways of telling the OP why it is wrong to buy from petstores.

No name calling, harassing other members or getting rude with posts.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Let's not go down a bad path. There are very nice and tactful ways of telling the OP why it is wrong to buy from petstores.

No name calling, harassing other members or getting rude with posts.

You're right. I apologies for being mean. Bowing out of this thread now.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I think everyone above has pointed out how wrong you are already and
I'm willing to bet there are homeless or needy pigs closer than three hours to you if you looked hard enough. But you are more interested in support breeding mills, backyard breeders, the pet overpopulation problem and animal abuse.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Because you are contributing to the problem by making an irresponsible choice also.

Morally, or even ethically, you shouldn't because in doing so you are supporting a problem.

There is a big difference between knowing better and not but why would you if you know better?

Yeah, pet store pigs deserve a home also, but buying them contributes to the bad breeding, overpopulation and sick guinea pigs out there.

You could look at it this way. You bought three guinea pigs. One is now at the vet because it is sick which, as people have said, is REALLY common with pet store pigs. Also, now there is Salvador or Zoe who are obviously close enough since you can get your boar neutered in that area who need homes and were weeded out by a pet store.

How you could drive there to get a guinea pig neutered but not adopt one is beyond me. That smells like a big excuse.

What is done is done and we can't change your mind for you but I doubt you would like it very much if you found out about the guinea pigs who die from being bred and that you just supported it three times over. Or that you could have bought a guinea pig with a genetic problem effecting its health and happiness and since then more baby guinea pigs have been born with the same problem to fill the vacancies your guinea pigs left.

How did any of societies awful trends end? People didn't sit there and say stuff like, I know this isn't right but everyone else is going to do it so I think I will too.

If you know better and do it anyway you are part of the problem, not the solution. I wouldn't feel to great about that even if you did give three guinea pigs a home. Not because they don't deserve it but because you just gave the problem fuel to continue.

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave
I do feel bad about "encouraging" it but ay the same time I still feel strongly that my pigs came to me for a reason. And I forgot to clarify but I myself didn't actually go and buy them, my grand-parents thought it would be a nice gift and i decided not to return them.

frillint

Cavy Slave
Yes, pet stores (as in pet supply stores) are here to stay. However, stores that actually SELL animals are disappearing slowly but surely and many more rescues/shelters are popping up. Many (if not all) PetSmart's are now not allowed to sell cats or dogs, but they can adopt them out from local shelters/humane societies. In Ohio, many Petlands are shutting down due to poor sanitation and the selling of deathly ill cats and dogs from breeding mills. And I don't know about your area, but many Jack's Aquariums & Pets are just plain disgusting are losing business as we speak (they are in a similar situation as local Petlands). This is so much different than it was 5-10 years ago. Things are changing, and with continued support from sites like this we can change it so that small animals are not allowed to be sold either. You just have to support and follow what you believe.

The selling is slowing down. My nearest petsmart where I got my 1st piggy that died. They used to have 3 or 4 spots for guinea pigs, NOW there is onlu 1 and for months it has been empty. Their animal spots are ALL empty except for the birds.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
GPslave, the rescue might be 3 hours away, but if there are stores selling pigs near you, you can be sure there are people around you looking to get rid of their purchases. Only a small percentage of the people buying from stores will be truly committed to keeping the piggies for life. Most of them are so uninformed about care (and the stores contribute to this) that they will not be successful owners. So they want to get rid of them - first by advertising them on lists and in classifieds, and if they find no one, dumping them on shelters, and if there are no shelters nearby, doing worse things like letting them free outside (to die an agonizing death).

Justin1983

Cavy Slave
I know I am Comitted to having cavies for life. I am used to having pets all my life, I have 2 cats that are 10 years old. and they're well looked after, fed, loved. I've been looking everywhere for cavies. Local SPCA, online everywhere. on sites told here. The closest place for me to find cavies that are from reputable cavy breeders or cavy owners, is in Maine, that's a heck of a trip for me.
I respect what is said about petshop piggies, I know it's kind of wrong, but also if I can give two pigges a life outside a petshop.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
The selling is slowing down. My nearest petsmart where I got my 1st piggy that died. They used to have 3 or 4 spots for guinea pigs, NOW there is onlu 1 and for months it has been empty. Their animal spots are ALL empty except for the birds.

The same exact thing is happening at our local Petsmarts. I go there to get Oxbow hay and pellets and to check on the cats from the animal shelter that I volunteer at and I always look at the animals. There is hardly ever small animals in there now. They have a "large" enclosure for guinea pigs and it has been empty for well over a month and they never have hamster, gerbils, or chins anymore. This particular store has never sold rabbits. The only animals in this store are the birds, fish, hermit crabs, snakes and turtles (as well as the shelter animals).

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
The same exact thing is happening at our local Petsmarts. I go there to get Oxbow hay and pellets and to check on the cats from the animal shelter that I volunteer at and I always look at the animals. There is hardly ever small animals in there now. They have a "large" enclosure for guinea pigs and it has been empty for well over a month and they never have hamster, gerbils, or chins anymore. This particular store has never sold rabbits. The only animals in this store are the birds, fish, hermit crabs, snakes and turtles (as well as the shelter animals).

I was told by a petsmart employee last month they were selling inbred sick and dying guinea pigs to people around my area. Now they don't have any and haven't for a couple months.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Guineapigslave

I can garuantee that every regular poster on this forum wants ALL guinea pigs to have a great life - no matter where they come from. That is precisely why we are against the sale of pigs in pet stores.

Just because they are treated badly doesn't mean that we need to just ignore them and wait for them to die!

Please consider it in two ways:

1) Would you PAY someone to abuse an animal?
Would you go up to a stranger and say "hey, I'll give you $20 if you will abuse and kill a few guinea pigs for me"?

Of course not. But every time a person buys an animal from a pet store that is exactly what you are doing. You are telling them that abusing, killing, and selling animals to impulse buyers is a good thing to do. You are rewarding them with money for doing it. You are creating space in store for them to order the next batch of badly bred, abused baby animals.

The ONLY reason the breeding mills and byb's exist is to make money. The only reason the pet stores buy animals from byb's and mills, and sell them to the public, is to make money. If the animals in pet stores sis not get sold, they would not order in any more and would eventually stop stocking them at all. If the pet stores stopped ordering more animals, the byb's and mills would lose money and they would stop breeding. THOUSANDS of animals would be saved every single year. Not just the animals you see in the store but their parents who live in "shoebox" style lab cages, being backbred until they die; their lethal littermates who never survived, etc. Every baby that would have ended up as live snake food, or with a careless five year old, or neglected in hutch in a backyard to starve - ALL these animals would be saved.

2) Would you pay to save an animals life, to help reduce overpopulation, to create the space and money to save another life?

Of course. ALL the animals in rescues, shelters, private rehomings etc came from somewhere. Almost all from byb's or mills (usually via a pet store) initially.

By getting them from a rescue however you do nothing to reward the breeder or the store. Instead you create space for the rescue to take in another needy animal. Your adoption fee helps pay for food, bedding and vet care for needy animals. You save lives without doing anything to encourage the abusive trade in live animals.

The mass breeding and sale of animal causes thousands of animals to suffer and die every day. All in the name of profit. The only way to break this cycle is to remove the profit - their incentive for doing it. If everyone stopped buying animals from pet stores, mills and byb's then they would cease to exist.

Buying one animal from a pet store may save that one animal - but will condemn at least 6 others to suffering and death (parents and next litter). Adopting an animal from a rescue saves that one animal - but it also helps to save many more in need, and prevent more being bred and abused in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned its no contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.