Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Pet store cage

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Not quite. The largest one is one SQUARE meter which makes it about 10.5 square feet or a 2x4. .

I don't know the metric system at all so I used a converter. Apparently my math was wrong. That's fine. I can't figure out square feet either lol It said the floor area was a square meter, so it might be okay.

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
I don't know the metric system at all so I used a converter. Apparently my math was wrong. That's fine. I can't figure out square feet either lol It said the floor area was a square meter, so it might be okay.

LOL glad its not just me then.

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
Just realised, isnt the 100cm x 100cm cage bigger than a 3 x 3 cc cage?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
They are roughly the same, but again, I want to stress that this website may not be giving accurate inner dimensions--most do not.

ameyjaney

Cavy Slave
Cornishcavies, I notice that you are in the UK? I've found grids on amazon for quite cheap and Coroplast may be able to be purchased from any signmakers nearby.

Fudgenrolo

Cavy Slave
I've built a 2 x 5 cage on a stand made from grids which has cost me about £110 in total including Correx. (I ended up buying 5 sheets of 8ft x 4ft Correx though as I ordered on-line - you may well be able to cut this cost if you can source your Correx locally especially as you have a large car so you should be able to transport a large sheet with no problems)

I bought my grids from ((( Ebay ))) - I purchased 3 sets of cubes which was plenty for a 2 x 5 cage on a stand. :)

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
They are roughly the same, but again, I want to stress that this website may not be giving accurate inner dimensions--most do not.

Thanks I will email them and ask the inner dimentions. Was getting confused as was told a 2 x 4 isnt big enough but a 3 x 3 is, are they not the same size, just square rather than long?

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Okay, let me try to get this straight - hope it makes sense....

On the main page of the GPC website it states that the minimum floor space for 2 pigs is 7.5 sq feet, or a 2x3 c+c. The preferred size is 10.5 sq feet, or a 2x4.

The largest commercial cage I have found in the UK is the Ferplast 140 Rabbit cage. This measures 140 x 71.5 cm.

I am sitting here with my tape measure - that makes it just over 55 x 28 inches. As the internal measurements are likely to be fractionally smaller, I calculated it as 54 x 27 which gives just over 10 sq feet of floor space.

This is still 2.5 sq feet larger than the minimum size, and almost as large as the preferred 10.5.

Of course I still believe a 2x4 c+c would be better, and would be no harder to move around. Just build the basic frame using lots of xip ties, and either a whole or partial floor with the corex inside - that way you could just lift it out the same as you would the commercial cage.

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
Thank you crazywiggy.
Years ago the pet store cages were terrible small and flimsy. Thankfully there are better larger ones out there now, whilst I no you all love the cc cages at least there is an alternative, as the cc cage may not suit all. Say you need a cage urgently or cant at the moment get the supplies to make a cc cage at least there is an alternative and I personally don’t think everyone should rubbish pet store cages so quickly.

If there is someone with very happy healthy piggies living in a correct sized cage with the correct diet and attention I get the impression most on here would still try and get them to make a cc cage.

Wodentoad

Cavy Slave
If there is someone with very happy healthy piggies living in a correct sized cage with the correct diet and attention I get the impression most on here would still try and get them to make a cc cage.

I believe that this is what the site specializes in, but I also know that there are owners on this list who have cages of all sorts of materials, wood, chicken wire, tarps and such. I believe if you have found an appropriately sized cage of any material, then good on ya and your cavy friends! Square footage is the important point everyone was trying to make and at some point, the conversation drifted to cross-purposes. You have appropriate square footage? Awesome!

But please don't take it personally that we LOVE the C&Cs, and that we recommend them. They are versatile, large, and well proven for us. Others have had bad experiences with pet store cages in the past, and even some currently! Plus, with so many choices out there, and so many of them bad, then don't blame us for being a little hinky on the idea.

Group hug and lets be friends again! :grouphug:

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
I believe that this is what the site specializes in, but I also know that there are owners on this list who have cages of all sorts of materials, wood, chicken wire, tarps and such. I believe if you have found an appropriately sized cage of any material, then good on ya and your cavy friends! Square footage is the important point everyone was trying to make and at some point, the conversation drifted to cross-purposes. You have appropriate square footage? Awesome!

But please don't take it personally that we LOVE the C&Cs, and that we recommend them. They are versatile, large, and well proven for us. Others have had bad experiences with pet store cages in the past, and even some currently! Plus, with so many choices out there, and so many of them bad, then don't blame us for being a little hinky on the idea.

Group hug and lets be friends again! :grouphug:

Thankee and very well said.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
3x3 is bigger than a 2x4.

As long as your cage is safe and the square footage is large enough, that is fine for the pigs. We are simply recommending the C&C cages to you because they are cheap, easy to build, look nice, easy to clean, and very sturdy. A lot of people buy a pet store cage for a lot of money and then realize that they should have made a C&C cage first. What you build is completely up to you--you just seem to have them impression that pet store cages are cheaper and sturdier, which isn't true.

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
3x3 is bigger than a 2x4.

As long as your cage is safe and the square footage is large enough, that is fine for the pigs. We are simply recommending the C&C cages to you because they are cheap, easy to build, look nice, easy to clean, and very sturdy. A lot of people buy a pet store cage for a lot of money and then realize that they should have made a C&C cage first. What you build is completely up to you--you just seem to have them impression that pet store cages are cheaper and sturdier, which isn't true.

They are for me as I get discount because I do all the ordering for a pet shop.

Would you mind explaining how a 3 x 3 is bigger, as there is the same amount of pannles used? Cant quite work it out :eek:

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
So far £90 is the cheepest for the cubes then I have to get everything else, I can see why these cages are so popular in the U.S.A, but here cost and supplys are so very different

mamazul

Cavy Slave
You multiply. 3 X 3 = 9, 2 X 4 = 8; so the 3 X 3 is bigger.

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
You multiply. 3 X 3 = 9, 2 X 4 = 8; so the 3 X 3 is bigger.

Thanks as you can tell I am no good at working out square feet

Fudgenrolo

Cavy Slave
So far £90 is the cheepest for the cubes then I have to get everything else, I can see why these cages are so popular in the U.S.A, but here cost and supplys are so very different

Why £90?? I just gave you an ebay link in my above link - I got three sets for £56.00 including delivery.

I know a couple of people who have the Ferplast 140 cage and like it so that is another option for you.

mamazul

Cavy Slave
You're welcome.

Cornish Cavies

Cavy Slave
Why £90?? I just gave you an ebay link in my above link - I got three sets for £56.00 including delivery.

I know a couple of people who have the Ferplast 140 cage and like it so that is another option for you.
Woops missed that one, sorry. Yep that’s much more reasonable. I do like the square cage I posted best i think

Fudgenrolo

Cavy Slave
Well whichever you decide on look forward to pics etc. :D

I decided on a C&C instead of a 'rigid' cage as with many of my other animals I've got a cage and then decided it's not big enough so have ended up buying a bigger one / adding on to it one way or another. So I like the fact that I can expand my C&C or change its design very easily and that's what made me decide on this instead of a conventional cage.

I also felt that lifting a 140cm barred cage section off the bottom to clean it would not be all that easy which was another reason as I did look at the Ferplast 140cm cage. My C&C is open so should be nice and easy to clean as there will be no lifting involved.

Additionally; I would have to buy a stand or table to fit the cage on to make it draught proof etc (I wouldn't have wanted the cage to be on the floor) whereas I built my own stand using the grids for my C&C.

Regarding internal dimensions though - it is surprising just how much cages do lose in the actual base. Even my hamster cages which are described as being '80cm long' are actually only 70cm internally because of the way the plastic base 'steps' downwards - there has to be a wider 'lip' for the plastic base to sit on so almost all barred cages will lose a fair few cms internally this way.

It's not so bad for my hamsters as they can use the upper dimensions of the cage but for a Guinea Pig that doesn't use the upper dimensions at all it makes quite a difference.

It's difficult when you can't see or measure the cage you decide on before you buy it as you can't really tell from pictures. Anyway; that's how I made my decision to get a C&C.