Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Pet sitting two pigs with fungus?

• Thread starter GuineaPigPerson
  • Start date

GuineaPigPerson

Cavy Slave
I'm pet sitting my friend's two guinea pigs, one of which has fungus on his ear. If I keep their cage in the basement (it never gets too warm or hot, is very light, airy, quiet) and wash my hands with normal hand soap in between handling my pigs will they be okay? I will try not to make too much hand contact with the ear but because I'm pet sitting I will be playing and cuddling with them.

Just continue what you're doing. Wash your hands after each time you come in contact with either of the piggies, whether you touch one's ear at all. It's quite likely that the other piggy has picked it up by now, and so you need to be very careful with both of them. Wash your hands well with soap for a min. of 45 seconds and afterwards clean with a antibacterial wipe. This is just to be careful, because I'm sure you don't want your piggies to get sick, and I'm sure you don't want to get any weird fungal infections, either. If I were you, since you're pet sitting, I would hightail it over to a vet, because having a friend's pet die in your hands is one of the worst feelings ever. I pet sat for a friend once, and I was really inexperienced with nail clipping, and so I accidentally cut the quick- I felt awful. I can't even imagine a pet dying. But again- I am a Cavy Newbie and since apparently you're a Cavy Slave, you might not want to take my advice and wait for a more experienced answer. Hope this helped. Have a great day! :)

Is there anyway you can treat the pigs for it? As its very hard to treat it if its not in the beginning stages, from what Ive read it sounds like he is just getting it, so if you treat now it should get rid of the fungus. Here's a link on treatment: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

If it was me, I wouldn't take in someone's guinea pig that has a fungus. Why hasn't your friend treated them?

It's very easy to treat -- someone gave you the link in an earlier post. You can get those topical creams at any pharmacy.

I do want to caution you that fungus is very contagious, both to you and the other pigs. It will take more than hand-washing with regular soap to get rid of it. I'd suggest you use disposable gloves and throw them away after each use. Throw out any wooden things in the cage, as it's almost impossible to get fungus out of wood.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.