Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Shops

gold-guinea
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
A) You need to post things like this in the appropriate forum. The adoptables section is not for asking questions; it's for posting animals you either wish to adopt or animals you have up for adoption.

B) Please do some research on this forum. There is considerable information about pet stores available on the forum, if you take the time to look through it first. Look in the Kitchen section and you'll find multiple threads about the evils of pet stores. Also look at the cavy cages home page for information about guinea pigs, and check out www.cavyspirit.com for further information.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I don't really understand why gold's post was groaned at. If these kinds of questions aren't asked then how can we educate people to the evils of pet stores. Not everyone know's why pet stores are bad/evil. It's true that gold could have looked through threads to find the answer but some posters don't take the time to do that and just ask the questions instead. We are here to educate. Maybe instead of groaning, an explanation of why pet stores are bad could be given?

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Thread re-opened for gold to get some answers on why pet stores are not good - but, just so we're all clear - no brow-beating of gold will be tolerated. She/he has stated in other threads that she/he is looking into adoption.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Susan9608 said:
Thread re-opened for gold to get some answers on why pet stores are not good - but, just so we're all clear - no brow-beating of gold will be tolerated. She/he has stated in other threads that she/he is looking into adoption.

I would sure like to think so, but I must have missed the thread about adoption because this one from this morning says she is buying from a petstore when the pups are old enough to be sold. :(

https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?p=192639#post192639

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
gold-guinea said:
May i ask whats so bad about pet shops?:confused:

There are a lot of reasons that pet stores are bad...

First of all, many don't take good care of their animals, and so their animals are sick and have problems. My first pair came from a pet store, and looked "very healthy". Both had mites, and poor Gizmo had severe bordetella that I ended up spending about $400 to treat. There were a few months there that I literally handfed him every day, and thought each day when I woke up that he would be gone. The Petsmart denied any wrongdoing. They told me all their animals were always healthy. :\

Second of all, these animals come from small animal mills. Their poor mothers are overbred, and kept in bad conditions, and are often given minimal or no care. Their only concern is getting cute babies to sell to the pet stores, regardless of how many of the animals die. As an example, the rescue I work with got a dump in of 48 animals last year, from what was probably a breeder dump. They ALL had mites, and they ALL had upper respiratory infections. Some had severe health problems, like bladder stones. Some were so bad off they couldn't be saved. :(

Finally, pet store sell animals to people without checking people at all. These people could be buying animals for any reason at all. For every 'nice' person who will later do research and find out how to care for their animals, there's a person who doesn't do that. Shamrock and Clover are good examples of this. Because of their poor care, they are now special needs pigs. I'm sure they probably bought these guys from a pet store because they were cute, but through ignorance, did them a great wrong. Other piggies are not so lucky as to be rescued, and probably die miserably from such care. :(

Carol 59

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to tell what happened to me. I wanted a guinea pig as a pet in my home for my little grandson to hold and pet when he came over, with supervision. We named him/her Ruldoph, thinking it was a boy, the sales person at the pet store told me it was very hard to tell the sex. So after a few weeks I was petting him/her and it felt like it had gas, after a few more days I knew what sex we had, it was a girl. I have no idea who the daddy is it could be her son for all I know. I will never buy from a pet store again. The people selling them don't know a thing. I was fortunet I had three grandchildren that wanted the pups, with parents consent. I could tell right away which were male and female by age three weeks. you just have to put on a pair of gloves and check. Maybe it would be a good idea to put some kind of flier in pet stores to inform buyers on how to tell the sex at least.

SandyF

Cavy Slave
I live in a small, semi-rural community, with a locally owned and operated pet store. I have been dealing with the owner for years -- sometimes as a customer, but usually as someone who stops by and gripes about things I see in the store. I can only speak for the way in which this particular pet store is run - it's different with every store, and especially within large chains - but here is my input/observations, for whatever it's worth:

1. The local pet store buys most of its guinea pigs from a breeder. From what I can tell, he essentially "orders" pigs whenever the breeder tells him a new litter is ready, and either they deliver them or he picks them up. It's a two-hour drive to the city where this breeder resides. Nothing (as far as I've been able to determine) is really known about the genetics of the pigs being bred.

2. No effort is made on the part of the pet store owner to determine sex or breed of the pigs; sows and boars are housed together. I've repeatedly found males and females together, and have repeatedly shown the owner how to determine which is which.

3. The living conditions are poor. Guinea pigs are housed in small, dirty aquariums. They are fed a very poor quality diet, usually no hay, and I've seen several cases of urine scald, fleas and signs of mites. Nails are not trimmed, baths not given.

4. There is no effort to diagose or treat illness. To my knowledge, new pigs are not quarantined. When I found a pig who had a very obvious headtilt, the owner was surprised and said he'd talk to a vet. The pig disappeared, never to be seen again. I cringe to think what happened to it. Another time, I found an adult boar with an anal impaction nearly the size of a golf ball. I spent nearly an hour removing it and showing an employee what to look for. That employee is no longer there.

5. Pigs that aren't purchased from breeders, have been dumped there by people in the area who can't be bothered with them any more. No attempt is made by the pet store to determine the history of the pig, the sex, health, etc. No effort is made by the pet store to ask that the pig be taken to the Humane Society, where it might be fostered and given a good home.

6. When a guinea pig is purchased, no effort is made to provide ACCURATE information about care. I gave the store a hand-out sheet at one time, but I doubt seriously that they still provide it. They push the products that they sell, which is crap: L&M brand pellets, crappy hay (usually alfalfa rather than timothy), a tiny cage, inappropriate bedding, a mineral wheel (an emploeye was absolutely floored when I told him that not only are these unnecessary, but may also be harmful), etc. Most employees not only know nothing about the animals they sell, but they couldn't care less. It's just an after-school job for most of them.

7. No effort is made at any point to educate customers about the dangers of breeding; it's not unusual for a pig to become pregnant (since pet store employees have no idea how to sex pigs), and the customer brings the offspring back to the pet store to be sold. Thus, the cycle of potentially bad genetics just goes on and on.

For these reasons, I feel it's better to support rescue than pertpetuate an industry built on bad practices.

Last edited:

LobsterOverlord

Cavy Slave
My wife and I went into a store today that she'd never been into previously, and I hadn't been in there ina few months. They had a GP who'd been there the last time I was in, and he was a baby the first time.

Now the relavence of this here. The kid cleaning the cages this morning is a friend of mine, and I didn't realize he worked there. He and I were talking about the GP and he confirmed it was the same one. I told him how I was watching for some at the humane society before buying one like this one since it was now after easter, but that if they ever decided to "unload" him, I'd take him.

He stated in response that they'd used to carry rabbits, but because the saw too many returns and to many drop offs of them and too many going to the humane soc. they decided to stop selling them all together. It didn't negate the mills and such and breeding, but it at least showed that they were taking into account the fact that these animals don't always find the best homes.

John M>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.