Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Peruvians and petting

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
I adopted a Peruvian from my local shelter, and I'm having a bit of a problem when it comes to petting him.

When I pet him anywhere below the neck, he rumbles. Is there a certain kind of way to pet this breed due to the long hair? He does this when I groom him too, but I figured he just want used to it.

My other three boys are Aby's and short haired breeds, so I don't have much experience with a Peruvian breed...I didn't even think there would be a difference.

hello
I have a telexl female,that does the same thing. I read somewhere on this site they don't like to be touched on sides or rump,and the long haired one don't like to be brushed. my little girl is getting better about it though,I just keep on brushing and petting,but I don't push it. she loves rubbing on the head and under the chin.
maybe someone else can suggest something.

It's normal for these long haired & special haired pigs to just simply not want to be touched. They connect petting with grooming which often is uncomfortable or filled with anxiety, both from people & possibly other pigs. It has taken over a year to get my peruvian to not panic when petting her, or especially touching her bottom.

I will probably try to avoid adopting another long haired, or special hair needs pig in the future. This because I really do feel bad when having to groom & see to these needs when the pig is feeling absolute torture. It breaks my heart.

I make sure to trim her bottom really short, and wash with a very good shampoo especially made for peruivans, too keep it soft & tangle free (Gorgeous Guineas, Posh'n'Go). I also use a travel sized Tangle teezer brush, which doesn't pull on her hair at all or cause pain.

thank you hanniballectersleepingchild that helped me to.

We have a Pruvian also, and I just cut his hair to keep him more try. His underside tends to get a bit moist when his hair is long, but he's so cute like that, but for his health, I cut it. He does ok w/ it... esp when you pick him up he just kinda just hangs out... he's ok w/ it. He does rumble when I pet him, but ... he always has and doesn't really show any other kind of stress. If you run your hand over his head, he will push up and pretty much say, I don't like that, so we avoid that area and mostly just stroke him along the back w/o ruffling his hair much.

I have a texel and a Peruvian. My Peruvian loves to be pet. She has a part down her back so I use a soft cat brush to brush her fur in the direction of the part. She likes to be rubbed behind her ears so I rub her ears gently between my fingers. She even likes to have her feet massaged. Whenever I take in a guinea pig, I try and gently pet and massage them so they get used to being touched so I can trim nails easier and groom them. My texel is a little pickier. I agree that her past grooming experiences must not have been very pleasant for her. I can pet her all over but she doesn't like her back fur brushed. I hold her on my lap and very gently brush it. I hold her like a baby on my lap, facing away from me and trim the underside fur in back and around her back legs. I keep the top layer longer but trimmed to the floor. It keeps her fur cleaner and it's easier to brush. The short haired breeds are so much easier to groom.....

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.