Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Persistent URI

butters

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

Im looking for some advice on a persistent URI- our new girlie has a mild URI but it will not go away. It's concentrated in the nose (whistled breathing, slightly runny and sneezes), but for the rest nothing. She was on doxycyline for two rounds (5 and then 10 days, 0.4ml 2x per day, she loooooved the stuff), and it went away for 90% each time but then came back after 4-5 days without. Now she's been put on Baytril for 10-14 days (.5ml 2x per day). On doxy she was her normal active self but now after 4 days of Baytril she's subdued and sleepy. She's eating and pooping well, and I've started some probiotics today to see if that helps. Our little dude is also on Baytril for the same course, as they seem to have passed it back and forth.

It's never gone beyond a mild URI but nonetheless I notice the last days that she really is feeling poorly. The vet seems to just think we should be patient... PATIENCE IS NOT MY STRONG POINT hehehe.

Could she be subdued from the Baytril or is it more the stress of being on what she finds the most foul tasting medicine of all time?

Hope you can give some advice! It's been 1.5 months that she's been ill now :( and its doing my head in to watch her!

Thanks all!

Caren

Unfortunately it's hard to tell if it's the medication that's making her unwell, or the illness. Has she ever been xrayed to see if there's anything in her lungs?

Are you weighing her? Weigh her daily, and if she drops at all I would handfeed. And yes, try a probiotic.

Oh, and I wanted to mention that some pigs with persistent URIs turn out to have heart problems.

Yes sorry forgot to add that we're weighing every day and until now there hasn't been any weight loss (other than some fluctuations, mainly from her never sitting still on the scale!). She's not had any xrays but the vet said that her lungs sound completely clear so he wasn't worried when I suggested that.

Is this a crazy idea, or could I handfeed her some CC just to give her an extra boost? She tends to eat anything I give her that's not Baytril... including a full poop from the neighbours guinea pig about a minute ago... classy lady ;)

Yes, you can give her some CC.

What type of bedding is she on? It could be allergies.

She was always on a mix of those small straw pellets, topped with a layer of supreme soft (rabbit) bedding for comfort, and that topped with normal hay to try and keep any dust residue down, but since Friday we've switched them onto towels. (Fleece for some reason really freaks her out). No change in her condition :( I was really hoping the bedding was the problem, but we've tried pretty much everything.

I'm frustrated that both Doxy and Baytril aren't helping. Is there anything else that we can be trying? Thanks so much for your help already!

PS. Also re: the possibility of heart issues, I'll definitely keep it in mind and start looking out for more symptoms over the next hours/day :(

She was always on a mix of those small straw pellets, topped with a layer of supreme soft (rabbit) bedding for comfort, and that topped with normal hay to try and keep any dust residue down, but since Friday we've switched them onto towels. (Fleece for some reason really freaks her out). No change in her condition :( I was really hoping the bedding was the problem, but we've tried pretty much everything.

If you're using timothy hay, try switching to orchard grass to see if that makes a difference.

I'm frustrated that both Doxy and Baytril aren't helping. Is there anything else that we can be trying? Thanks so much for your help already!

PS. Also re: the possibility of heart issues, I'll definitely keep it in mind and start looking out for more symptoms over the next hours/day :(

That's a great idea- now for an extensive google search to see what orchard grass would be called in the Netherlands :p in any case I'll go nose around the shops to see some alternatives. Hadn't thought of hay yet! Thanks!

That's a great idea- now for an extensive google search to see what orchard grass would be called in the Netherlands :p in any case I'll go nose around the shops to see some alternatives. Hadn't thought of hay yet! Thanks!

I'm very allergic to timothy hay but have no problems with orchard grass. Meadow grass, brome, bluegrass are also different types of grass hays that might be worth trying.

Hi again everyone,

Ok update time! Milka is still her sneezy/wheezy self. Luckily ti is still confined to her nose. Her lungs and heart are completely fine :) However, we found out that her back teeth are growing inwards. I got alarmed when she lost nearly 100gr in 4 days while I was away and left her with the shelter ladies for a few days. We've gotten her almost back to her normal weight now, and her teeth will be fixed on Tuesday.

THe vet thinks that the reason milka is still ill is because of the weight problems she's had, and that the illness is actually viral rather than bacterial. Does anyone have experience with viral URIs? I heard they're quite uncommon??? Also, we've noticed that she has good and bad days. Some days she's wheezing and sneezing, others she's relatively ok, with just a whistly nose... has anyone had these kind of symptoms before?

AND lastly hehehe, if there are any dutch people reading this, does anyone know anywhere where I can pick up an alternative for hay in the south (Limburg)? It is impossible to get hold of around here! :(

Thanks to anyone who can give us a hand!

Uhoh, Help please!!!!

Jaeger randomly started squeaking (softly) while pooing. I've called the vet and they will look at him tomorrow when Milka gets her teeth done. It doesn't sound like he's really in desperate pain, more like discomfort. Actually it's the same noise he makes as when he wants some tastey looking veg...

I'm trying to catch a urine sample (impossible!!!)... but could it also be something he ate? I gave him some basil on Saturday which had been sprayed with a biological anti-lice spray, but I washed it really well beforehand.... could this be causing this? If so, what's the best treatment I can give for the night??? I could only find the normal cranberry juice at all the stores today so I can't give him that (he's very sugar sensitive bless him!).

I'm putting him on only hay and pellets (Supreme sensitive). He doesn't have any salts or mineral stones and I change their towels every day due to Milka's URI... Why does this stuff keep happening to us??? :S

PS Milka's actually a lot better now, I'm thinking that her whistled nose is due to elongated roots- since I've been mashing her pellets she's gained lots of weight and the whistling has almost stopped and sneezes completely stopped. We'll have an xray tomorrow to check for absesses or root problems).

To catch a urine sample, put the pig in a small plastic container and leave it there until it pees. If you've got some sort of plastic grid that's large enough to support the pig's weight without hurting its feet, that would be great.

But some vets don't even bother with a urine sample because it's so hard to get an uncontaminated one from a guinea pig -- they usually just go by other symptoms.

Don't give him cranberry juice. It could be that he has a stone, and depending on what type of stone it is, cranberry juice can make it worse. Cranberry juice is used to acidfy the urine to prevent UTIs, but until you're sure it's an UTI, I wouldn't give it.

I also wouldn't give any kind of greens that have sprayed with any kind of pesticide. Biological just means it was extracted from a plant or animal, not that it's not a chemical or that it's not harmful to ingest.

Also, why are you taking him off his veggies? Usually the only reason to do that is if he has soft, misshapen poops, and it's done to determine whether too many veggies are the cause. Veggie intake has nothing to do with UTIs.

Hey, thanks for that advice! I'll go put him in the tupperware in a minute. Luckily he's still spot on with his weight and since the 'episode' nothing else has happened and he's resumed peeing and pooing as normal, but we're still going to get him checked out of course.

The sprayed veg was an accident :( My boyfriend sprayed their herbs instead of one of the plants in the garden and I only found out this afternoon... luckily I wash everything thoroughly anyway as we use a LOT of pesticides in the area so I never trust anything that grows here!

Also thanks for telling me about the cranberry juice! The vet-nurse suggested it but i'll definitely stay clear! Taking him off off of the veg for the evening was also the vet's idea, because we don't know whether it is constipation or UTI related he wants me to increase Jaeger's rough fibres for the evening... I'm not 100% comfortable with it but as it is only one evening he should not miss any essentials.

Thanks again soooo much for your advice!

Ok update from us :)

Milka had her teeth done on Tuesday, spent the entire afternoon asleep on my lap, and was eating and drinking from the moment she woke up, our little trooper!!! She is now eating well, and finally I can see her nostrils!!! They have been swollen since we got her (three months ago), so this was quite a nice surprise! She's still huffing a bit but this is likely to stay for a while at least. We want to avoid anti-inflammatories as long as possible (as most pigs will become dependent on them and in time they will no longer be enough to solve the problem) but now that we know what the problem is, we can manage it this way.

Also, Jaeger's problem was constipation related. His urine sample came back clean, and he stopped squeaking after that evening. He is a little bit overweight though... need to get that under control... weight-wise he's 1045gr (he's a 10 month old Rex) but he's getting a double chin and some fat build up behind his front paws so we need to start watching out.

Thanks again to everyone for their help over teh past weeks! Hope not to have to get any more bad news with these two for a long time!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.