Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet perfect paws for bumblefoot?

kej4hj

Cavy Slave
well, my sow has had red/purple feet for a week now and i've just ordered perfect paws ointment for it. i think she's in the early stages of bumblefoot (pictures on the internet convinced me) so, will the ointment be effective? or will i need to take her to a vet?

thank you for reading.

Can you post a picture?

Untreated bumblefoot will eventually form a sore on the foot, but the foot can have infection even if the skin is unbroken. If it's not too bad, you may be able to treat it yourself, but you'll have to keep a close eye on the skin and any swelling, and if it gets worse, take her in for antibiotics.

See www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html for treatment options.

If you want it to be better, the ointment will work, but also make sure you have soft bedding for the cage, like fleece or care fresh. (I recommend fleece, you save $$) Not a wired bottom, it will make it worse.. If after you keep using the ointment and soft bedding, and the bumblefoot does not get better after about a month or so doing this, I would take it to the vet to see what she recommends. Hope this helped!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.