Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty Percy is scaring me with his escape tactics...he will do ANYTHING to get out.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
Despite double grids, moving his cage, etc, my little escape artist does anything to not only escape his own cage, but to find a way IN to his mother's cage. They were just seperated last week. All I know is I have to find a way until he is nuetered. [GuineaPigCages.com] Percy is scaring me with his escape tactics...he will do ANYTHING to get out.

I would cut a cardboard box up and just put the cardboard in between the coroplast and the grids. It's not very pretty but the walls need to be raised for sure to keep him from doing this. It's so dangerous for him to be doing this! Good luck with trying to get him settled down!

But definitely get some height to those walls. =/

yeah that's what we ended up doing...cardboard in between...he's mad now, but not much else I could do!

oh and PS...cardboard had to go all the way to the top! He JUMPS up and clings!

@charliespet, you have the unsafe grids. See this thread.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/38283/

For babies up to 6 months, it's recommended to babyproof the cage. Either do what you've just done (add cardboard to block the space), or make coroplast walls at least 10" high. You mentioned doubling the grids, the grids should look like this for babyproofing.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Percy is scaring me with his escape tactics...he will do ANYTHING to get out.

I'd also recommend adding a lid to his cage. Since he's living next door to female.

Did you just use zip ties for that?

@charliespet , you have the unsafe grids. See this thread.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/38283/

For babies up to 6 months, it's recommended to babyproof the cage. Either do what you've just done (add cardboard to block the space), or make coroplast walls at least 10" high. You mentioned doubling the grids, the grids should look like this for babyproofing.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Percy is scaring me with his escape tactics...he will do ANYTHING to get out.

I'd also recommend adding a lid to his cage. Since he's living next door to female.
Right now I'm going back there to fix this for good...Now I just wish I'd gotten plexi glass instead...UG I cannot WAIT to build them a true hutch. Waiting ONLY because we are moving in 4 weeks.

If you're moving in 4 weeks, don't bother fixing it up. Keep the cardboard for now.

The grids are staggered using zip ties. Close-up pics here:
Baby Proofing - Guinea Pig Cage Photos
When we move I'm saying audios to the grids...I hate them! I'm going plexi glass and plywood....I don't care if it costs me 300 bucks...I'm done with this crappy cage!

Sounds like my piggy. It took me 2 hours to catch mine. But now ive got
A secure cage.

That first pic of percy looks like my pinball he is my very adhd abby. He climbs hangs upside down and can jump very high. We call him our little houdini. He does the im mad yawn when he gets caught trying to escape. Then he goes to time out ...lol.

That first pic of percy looks like my pinball he is my very adhd abby. He climbs hangs upside down and can jump very high. We call him our little houdini. He does the im mad yawn when he gets caught trying to escape. Then he goes to time out ...lol.
haha! Thats funny!

Percy! seriously? HE GOT OUT AGAIN! Despite cardboard all the way to the top and a lid. NO gaps...I heard scrambling around today and went in and he was in the other's cage. He clawed his way over the whole cardboard and squeeezed through a tiny area. I am going to have to shrink wrap his cage and fatten him up so he can't jump so high. I think he might have a little bit of hamster in him. Now for plan B, which is covering the whole cage in a sheet.

OMG. He is one determined piggy. Maybe if he had a friend on his side he wouldn't escape so much. I'm glad I don't have this problem-Percy scares me. He's going to hurt himself!

When you get rid of your grids, make sure to post them on Craigslist or even here. I'm sure someone will be grateful to get them for their own cage-it might even enable someone to get pigs that was saving for supplies.

Hang in there, it's not much longer.

Thats too funny. Because my little ones climb and try to squeeze we do head counts, just like they do with preschoolers.

haha he IS scary. He does have a friend too...chip, his brother is in with him. Chip never even tries to escape. When I get rid of the grids I might use them for what they are actually for! LOL Some shelves in the garage or something, if not, I'll give them to somebody.
OMG. He is one determined piggy. Maybe if he had a friend on his side he wouldn't escape so much. I'm glad I don't have this problem-Percy scares me. He's going to hurt himself!

When you get rid of your grids, make sure to post them on Craigslist or even here. I'm sure someone will be grateful to get them for their own cage-it might even enable someone to get pigs that was saving for supplies.

Hang in there, it's not much longer.

Poor baby...he's such a mama's boy. Let's hope Charlie doesn't wind up preggers again.

Poor baby...he's such a mama's boy. Let's hope Charlie doesn't wind up preggers again.
I feel bad for him, because he obviously really wants to be with her, but, he can't. I cut up even higher card board and put it inbetween BOTH cages on all sides. If he escapes again, I will move the boy's cage, although I'm hoping not to have to do that, bc I have no room for it anywhere else in the house, so I'd have to move furniture out to the garage to make room. I am considering having the boys neutered before we move, depending on what the vet says about the healing process. It will be a long trip, and its only 4 weeks away.

Is the plan to have him neutered and put him back with mama? What a determined little piggy!

Dang Percy! charliespet, maybe you better change his name to Houdini! Jk but it's true!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.