Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick People who suddenly can't take care of pets if they get sick.

z123carleigh

Cavy Slave
Came across this Craigslist ad today. I'm not going to post it, because it's nothing that needs to be flagged, but here is what it says:

"Young guinea pig in need of new home that has the time to care for him. We haven't had the little guy long but he has started scratching behind his left ear and making sores. And we do not have the time to care for him properly. If you are familiar with guinea pigs and have the time to give him a well deserved home please email me. Thxs!!"

All of us here can probably safely assume this guinea pig came from a pet store, and probably has mites. But, this person obviously did not plan on vet care. I already emailed to offer to dose him with ivermectin, or give the information they would need to do it themselves. I'm torn between judging this person as very irresponsible, or judging them as honest and trying to make things better....I guess we'll find out if they ever respond to my email.

We can't assume that the pig has mites. It could be but we can't assume that. We haven't seen the pig, we don't know how long or how severe the itching is. Itching could be a lot of things - this time of year, winter air can cause dry skin.

As for judging, we don't have enough information to know anything. They said they only had the pig a short time before it started itching and it sounds like they are trying to do the right thing by finding a home that has time to care for the pig rather than neglecting or abandoning the pig.

What a freakin' shame!!!!

I agree with @CavyMama, we can't assume these are bad owners without further information. This could just be a couple of kids who's parents are forcing them to find a solution for their pigs for all we know.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards just trying to do what's right for the pig. I'm just hoping that this is the only thing keeping them from from being able to take care of the animal, because then I would be able to help them if they did want to keep it, but were just overwhelmed. It could be lots of things, but since ivermectin is a safe medicine to give even if they do not have mites, it is a good place to start. I don't think it's dry skin, as it's about spring here, not cold and dry at all.

It just bugs me. If someone got a cat, and the cat got fleas....people would think it ridiculous to give up the cat for something that is easily treatable.

It sounds like they are probably new to guinea pigs. While people are aware of skin issues in cats or dogs being easily treatable, the ignorance about guinea pig care is pretty wide spread. Your email to them suggesting Ivermectin was a good start. Did they respond?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.