Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Penny's Med Thread

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the well wishes, everyone!!

I have tons of cozies for Penny to snuggle up in. When my Pedro had surgery I used the heating pad on him and he loved it. I didn't put him directly on the pad. I had it wrapped in fleece. It also wasn't on high, just a comfortable warmth.

I know she will be sent home with pain meds, but I'm not sure what. I will probably request metacam because I've used it before and Pedro did well on it. I am also going to pack food for when Penny wakes up. I have tons of stuff here for her to eat once she gets home. I also bought critical care and canned pure pumpkin.

The only experience I have with pigs and surgery was with my Pedro. He had a tumor removed from his cheek and a few months later he had a lipoma removed from his side. He was 7 years old when he had these surgeries, and had lost muscle mass because of his age. I keep praying that since Pedro and I got through his surgeries, Penny and I should be able to get through this. She is a young feisty girl who loves food so hopefully that will work in our favor. I can't help but be nervous, though. I had a good cry earlier and will probably do it again tomorrow!

I will keep everyone updated on how she does!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I just got off the phone with the vet tech. She said that Penny did amazing during her spay! Apparently Penny woke up really quickly after her surgery. She's groggy right now and they are giving her some hay. The tech told me that in about half an hour they are going to offer her some veggies. I get to pick her up in a few hours!

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
Thats awesome! I'm so glad to hear that Penny has done well so far. I bet you are super excited to get her.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Im glad she made it through! I hope her healing and recovery is quick and goes smoothly!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Penny is home!!

The vet said that her uterus looked fine, but her ovaries were quite cystic. So it's a good thing we had her spayed! The vet said that all of her other inside bits looked normal. She's doing very well right now. She had a bit of a snack and now she's resting. I'm going to offer her some Critical Care later.
I feel so much better! Now we just need to get through these next few days and make sure she's eating lots.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
That's great! She's a lucky piggy to have you and your family to take care of her!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much, Paula! I've been so worried about her! I am so thankful that we opted for the spay before anything worse could happen to my little Penny.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I just got off the phone with the vet tech. She said that Penny did amazing during her spay! Apparently Penny woke up really quickly after her surgery. She's groggy right now and they are giving her some hay. The tech told me that in about half an hour they are going to offer her some veggies. I get to pick her up in a few hours!

I am so happy that she's ok now. Hope she has a speedy recovery. I'm glad she went through surgery so well.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Penny is home!!

The vet said that her uterus looked fine, but her ovaries were quite cystic. So it's a good thing we had her spayed! The vet said that all of her other inside bits looked normal. She's doing very well right now. She had a bit of a snack and now she's resting. I'm going to offer her some Critical Care later.
I feel so much better! Now we just need to get through these next few days and make sure she's eating lots.

That's great that she's home and doing well. I'm so glad you did the surgery and that she's better. God bless her and praying for a quick recovery for her. I'm happy that you are happy that she's had the surgery. Good luck with her recovery and keep us updated on her.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone! I will be sure to tell Penny that everyone here is rooting for her!

Yes, Sheldon had already been neutered when I rescued him! At least now I won't have to hear their rumbly heat parties anymore! He's not very pleased that Penny is sectioned off from him right now.

Penny is continuing to do well! She hasn't eaten very much. I tried to give her some CC but she is sooo wiggly! I will have to get my mother to help me. I gave her some cilantro instead and she is happily munching on it. She's being so brave. I'm so happy she's doing well.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Penny update!

Pen is doing so well, it really amazes me! She had her metacam earlier today. Her appetite is picking up. She drank a good amount of water through the night and has been eating more hay. She was up screaming at me for her morning veggies. Silly girl even tried to stand on her hind legs to beg. The incision is looking really good.
Sheldon and her were trying to canoodle through their grid wall earlier. I think they miss each other. Poor babies.
I am so happy with how well Penny is doing! She's such a strong little pig!

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
So glad penny is having a speedy recovery. She probably misses her Sheldon, awww.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Awww Penny and sheldon are too cute! Penny is a silly girl, she acts like she was never sick.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Awww I'm so happy she's doing so well. That's great. Hope she continues on this road of a speedy recovery. They probably both miss each other. That's so cute.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone!

Here's a picture that I just took of Penny resting in her cozy tunnel
004.jpg

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Awww that is so cute. She looks very comfortable in there.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to give a quick update on Penny.

Penny is back with her husband, Sheldon. They were missing each other terribly and are very happy to be together again. Her incision is looking great. She scratched it the other night and popped a scab off but it's fine now. Though she now weighs less since she has been spayed, she is holding her current weight and has her old appetite back. I am so surprised at how fast she is recovering! It will be a week tomorrow since the spay.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice! Penny sends her happy wheeks and love to everyone! :D

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to give a quick update on Penny.

Penny is back with her husband, Sheldon. They were missing each other terribly and are very happy to be together again. Her incision is looking great. She scratched it the other night and popped a scab off but it's fine now. Though she now weighs less since she has been spayed, she is holding her current weight and has her old appetite back. I am so surprised at how fast she is recovering! It will be a week tomorrow since the spay.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice! Penny sends her happy wheeks and love to everyone! :D

I am so happy for Penny. I'm so glad she's on the road to being herself again. I hope she continues to have a speedy recovery. Glad to hear that Penny and Sheldon are back together and are very happy. Good Luck

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Im so happy the adorable couple is back together! I hope her recovery continues to go well!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
When I checked Penny's weight and incision today I noticed that a few of her sutures are now exposed. They are supposed to be absorbable, and it wasn't like this the other day. Is this normal? I am thinking I should take her in to have them snipped since I don't want her chewing on them. Or should I just leave them and they will eventually fall off?

Here's a picture:
031.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.