Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Penny's Med Thread

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thanks, I have been giving her the Ovol after each dinner.

I got the pee sample. I'm going to run it over to the vet pretty soon here.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Thanks for updating us on Penny. Keep us posted on her condition. Sorry you and Penny are going through such a hard time. She is in my prayers. Hope everything turns out ok

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

The techs said they should be able to get back to us today with the urinalysis results. I'll update after they call me.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
The vet called with the results.

She said Penny's urinalysis came back clear. So, we are still not sure of what's causing the spotting. She said we could do a urine culture. We could also do an ultrasound. If we do an ultrasound we'll have to go to a different clinic because our clinic doesn't do them. I asked if she should be spayed. She said spaying is an option, but since we're still not sure of where the blood is coming from a spay may not fix it. She said it may also be a kidney infection, but it's doubtful since her weight and appetite is good and the bleeding isn't constant. I'm starting to run out of my vet fund so I wonder if I should just do a spay. I don't know what to do.

I think it's related to her reproductive system since she seems to spot after her heat. I don't know what to do :( I wonder if I should wait until her next heat cycle and see how that goes.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Update time!!

Penny continues to do well. No bleeding since the 17th. Since everyone that I have talked to suspects that this is related to her reproductive system I set up an appointment to have her spayed.
She will be spayed next Tuesday (July 31st). I am so nervous. I have never had a guinea pig fixed before. Sheldon was already neutered when I adopted him, and I know that spaying is much more risky than neutering.
What should I expect?

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Update time!!

Penny continues to do well. No bleeding since the 17th. Since everyone that I have talked to suspects that this is related to her reproductive system I set up an appointment to have her spayed.
She will be spayed next Tuesday (July 31st). I am so nervous. I have never had a guinea pig fixed before. Sheldon was already neutered when I adopted him, and I know that spaying is much more risky than neutering.
What should I expect?
Sorry I am not experienced with spaying/neutering piggies so I can't offer advice there, but fingers crossed I have been following this thread and hope everything goes well for penny !

ellisa

Cavy Slave
After reading some horror stories I am now starting to second guess my decision of having her spayed. I don't want to do anything that would put Penny in danger. I just know we need to get this spotting figured out before it turns into something worse.
Do sows usually make it through spays without complications? She's a young and healthy pig, I just worry about underlying issues that could show up during surgery.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
After reading some horror stories I am now starting to second guess my decision of having her spayed. I don't want to do anything that would put Penny in danger. I just know we need to get this spotting figured out before it turns into something worse.
Do sows usually make it through spays without complications? She's a young and healthy pig, I just worry about underlying issues that could show up during surgery.
I know that more boars have been neutered than sows spayed as it is more common,and it will be a risky procedure. There are risks to all surgery with any animal or human nothing will ever be 100% guaranteed. A question I would like to ask is do you trust the vet who is spaying her ? Maybe ask a few questions like how many guinea pigs has she/he spayed before ? And did they pull through ? It is truly your decision, but there will always be two sides as to what could happen. I hope all goes well, with what you decide.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I would ask how many successful guinea pig spays you vet has done beforehand, if its not many. I would try and find another vet to do it that has done many.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I was referred to the vet who would be spaying her, so I haven't actually met her yet. She is the only vet here that will spay her, or else I would have to drive 3 hours to another vet clinic (which would suck).
I talked to one of her colleagues and they are all well aware of the risks when spaying sows. They said they use safe anesthetic and her sutures would be closed with something she can't chew on.

What completely sucks is that in my city people don't bring their guinea pigs to the vet. Honestly, I am pretty sure that I am the only one. Seriously! So, the vets don't see many guinea pigs here.

The vet that would be spaying Penny moved here in 2008 from England. I don't know if she has spayed any guinea pigs since moving here, but I was told that she spayed guinea pigs while she was in England.

ETA: It's lunch here, so she won't be in right now, but after lunch I'm going to call the clinic and talk to the vet.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Just got off the phone with Dr. Sempers. I feel so much better since talking to her.

She told me that she hasn't seen many pigs since moving to Canada, which I already knew, but she said when she was in the UK she saw many pocket pets. She was up front with me about not spaying that many sows but she said she has done numerous rabbits and even hedgehogs. She said rabbits are also very risky to spay, similar to guinea pigs. She sounds very confident that she can do it. She obviously can't guarantee that nothing bad will happen to Penny, but she said for the most part things go as expected. She told me that the risk of death is around 10%. She also talked to me about how guinea pig surgeries have gotten a lot more safe over the past few years with new technology and safer drugs.
There is a vet tech that will stay with Penny when she is done the surgery. The tech will sit with her and monitor her. She said they have heating pads to make sure she stays warm since they have a hard time regulating body temperature after surgery.
She told me that I can wait awhile to do the spay if I'm too nervous. I would rather get it done with now before something bad happens. She said that since we have already done other tests that it would be a wise choice to do the spay and have a peek around in there since sometimes xrays and ultrasounds miss stuff. I feel so much better since talking to her.
She told me to come in early the day of her spay so we can meet in person and she can give Penny an exam while I'm there to make sure a spay the right thing to do.

Sorry that all my sentences start with "She said" !!

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Well she sounds like she knows what shes doing, and not one of those vets that don't have a clue about guinea pigs and she has spayed animals in the past. Goodluck, and I hope all goes well !

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Penny's spay is tomorrow. I'm nervous, but I'm trying to be positive.

I have gathered up everything we will need for the next few days. I wanted to get things together ahead of time. I have; critical care, syringes, pedialyte, canned pure pumpkin, acidophilus capsules, vitamin c tablets and a heating pad. I will also be weighing her a few times a day. If anyone can think of anything else I might need please feel free to say!

Also, does anyone know how long it will take Penny to recover?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]. Good advice.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks, spy9doc. I wasn't going to keep her on the heating pad for the whole duration of her recovery. I've always been told that heating pads can be beneficial during the first day after surgery because pigs have a hard time keeping warm, especially if they aren't moving around.
I am going to section off an area of the cage for her. Hopefully Sheldon won't protest too much!! Thanks for all your help! Very much appreciated! :)

PiBee

Cavy Slave
Good luck tomorrow :) It's so scary when you have no idea what's wrong. But you're doing the right thing by spaying since it clearly has something to do with her reproductive system!

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Awww good luck tomorrow. I hope all goes well. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The main thing is for her to begin eating soon. Make sure you get pain meds--Metacam is a good one that doesn't make the pig drowsy. Pigs in pain don't eat.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I've always been told that heating pads can be beneficial during the first day after surgery because pigs have a hard time keeping warm, especially if they aren't moving around.
I'd use the heating pad, or a snuggle safe, especially for the first 24 hours after surgery. Having been through many, many, many surgeries, the heating pad or a source of heat always proves to be beneficial and aids in a speedy recovery because they can and often do have a hard time regulating their body heat after surgery and anesthesia.

Best of luck tomorrow, and please keep us posted on her (hopefully) speedy recovery!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I wish you and Penny the best of luck! I hope she gets better very soon and that the spaying fixes the problem!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.