Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Penny's Med Thread

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Oh, good. Keep us updated.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Last night I noticed a bit of blood on the fleece. It was barely any, but now I'm all worried again.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. Penny finished her meds on the 9th. She was doing very well until today, when she started spotting again. We went right to the vet for xrays.

Here they are. I don't know anything about guinea pig anatomy so any insight is appreciated!

0PENNY.jpg1PENNY.jpg

The vet said there aren't any stones. She's not sure if there's sludge because Penny's intestines are so full of gas and food in the xrays. She doesn't think it's a UTI. She's not sure if it's related to her reproductive system. She's going to consult some other vets to try to get some answers.
So basically, we still don't know what's causing the spotting.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I know! I was wondering if that was her heart. The vet actually didn't even show me the xray when I was at the vet. I saw it once I got home and put the disc in my laptop. I was wondering if it's her heart, but it looks freaky to me!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Weird. Yes, I can see her heart now. Do you think it could be a pocket of gas? She gets gassy and farty, so I think that's why her tummy is distended in the xrays. I also posted this on Guinea Lynx so hopefully I'll get more replies soon!
I wish the vets in my city were more knowledgeable about cavies.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Looks like a Cyst.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
true true. it almost looks pup shaped! Seriously. I don't know where a guinea pig uterus is located, but how long have you had your piggie? Where did you get her from?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Yes, I agree spy9doc. Cysts only show up on ultrasounds anyways, right? Not xrays, because they aren't a solid mass. I don't know what this is. Could it be gas? I've seen some gassy piggie xrays, but not quite like this.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
It looks like a mass maybe a tumor?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
There hasn't been any blood in the cage since yesterday morning.

I'm going to talk to the vet later in the afternoon and ask her if she has talked to any other vets about what could be causing the bleeding. I'll ask about Penny's xrays then. I'm also going to ask for something to help relieve the gas pressure in her tummy.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Actually you can go get some OVOL drops from your local grocery store's baby aisle. It's just simethecone... I read on Guinealynx that it's safe for piggies.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Actually you can go get some OVOL drops from your local grocery store's baby aisle. It's just simethecone... I read on Guinealynx that it's safe for piggies.

Yes, over on GL I asked if I should just use simethecone but Lynx said that Penny may benefit from daily motility drugs since she's such a gassy farty girl!!

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Senekot is a natural bowel stimulant, check with GL/Vet to see if it's safe for piggies. it's derived from the Senna leaf.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I'm a little ticked off. I called my vet a few hours ago and the receptionist said she was very busy today. In a way I was sort of just brushed off. I'm going to get her some simethicone drops soon, and hopefully that will work until I can get through to the vet.
Penny is way more gassy than Sheldon. I never hear Shelly fart and his tummy doesn't ever buldge like Pen's does. She's also a very petite girl, with a tiny frame. I don't know if that would make her more gassy than normal or not. I have been giving her the new Oxbow Digestive Support supplement to see if that helps too.

As for the bleeding. When I looked in her cage last night there appeared to be a pee spot with a drop of blood in the centre. Not bloody pee, just pee with a drop of bright red blood. This is what boggles me. That's not very characteristic of a UTI, is it? I had a wee bit of Baytril left over from the last time she was on it, and my vet told me I can use it and she will dispense more if need be. I have enough Baytril to give tonight, but not enough for tomorrow.
So here I am. The vet clinic closes in 45 minutes. I have no clue what to do about the Baytril, xray, motility drugs.
Errrrrrrggh.... At least Penny is happy and eating right now.

Last edited:

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Keep calling.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
My mother just came home with some Ovol and Baytril. She couldn't talk to the vet because she was swamped. I'll try again tomorrow.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Penny didn't bleed through the night!

I gave her some Ovol yesterday evening. I think it helped. When I was sweeping out the cage I heard her toot. I would like to give her a bit more today.
How many days in a row is it safe to give simethicone?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
The vet called and left a voice mail this morning. She said she wants to do a urine sample. If that comes back all clear she wants to do a ultrasound of Penny's bladder and reproductive organs. She said there is a possibility that it could be neoplasia or cancer.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Thank you for the update. Penny is a lucky piggy to have a family who cares so much about her. Please let us know how the urine sample and/or ultrasound go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.