Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Penny's Med Thread

trista81

Cavy Slave
I read somewhere that guinea pigs don't really show too much when they are in any pain, because in the wild they are techinically "prey"....and when they act like they are in pain or weak it's more likely for them to get eaten!....i dunno just thought i would share, i hope your pig gets well soon!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just found a bit more blood in the cage :'(
At least she's still eating and wheeking around. I really hope the Baytril helps.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Aaw, poor Penny! I hope she gets better soon.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Unfortunately, if it's pyometra antibiotics will not help. The only treatment is a spay. Watch her very closely. If she is still bleeding after another day or so you may want to take more serious action.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=13918]foggycreekcavy[/MENTION], I'm so paranoid that it is pyometra. I've been watching her very closely, and I've been waking up several times throughout the night to check in on her.
I'm still not convinced it's a UTI just because it's not really bloody pee. It's more like random drops of blood in the cage and on her genitals. Thankfully she's still eating and was very happy this morning. She was wheeking and begging for her food. She still bled in the night which has me really worried.
Can pyometra be common in younger pigs? I don't know her exact age but I'm pretty sure she's a bit over a year.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I have another question.
Since today is Canada Day the vet clinics are closed and they will be closed tomorrow also. If Penny continues to still eat, wheek, beg, etc., would we be able to wait until Tuesday for an x-ray? Of course, if something bad happens I will call their emergency line, but with it being a Holiday I'm not sure if someone will come into the clinic for us.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
As long as she is eating and acting otherwise normally, yes, waiting until Tuesday is probably just fine. I would think you'd want her to go to your regular vet anyway for treatment.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Paula.
Our usual vet is on holidays for the next two weeks, so I'd be taking her back to the vet we saw yesterday. She's not as experienced in exotics as our usual vet, but I still really liked her. She noramlly does dogs and cats, but she sees exotics when the exotic vet isn't around. She told me that if we do x-rays she will email them to the big exotics clinic in the large city over to get their opinion.

Sorry if none of my posts are making sense. I'm just really worried and upset that this is happening over a long weekend when everything is closed.

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Medical emergencies ALWAYS seem to happen after hours or on weekends and holidays! It's just the way it goes. You're doing a great job now, so try to relax and keep up the good work.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Penny update:
She's still eating and drinking. However, she feels a bit warm to the touch right now. I am going to dose her out some aspirin right now to see if that helps. Hopefully that should be OK.

Delaine

Cavy Slave
I have been following along and wish you well. It is always a worry when one of our pets are ill because they can't tell you in words what is wrong. We can all learn from the experiences of others, so thanks for keeping us posted. Because females only have one opening it must be very difficult for a vet to know exactly where the blood is coming from. Is there any blood attached to any of her stool?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
No blood attached to her stool. Pretty sure it's coming from her uterus. When she pees there is no blood. I just picked her up and you can see blood all around her vulva. More than there was earlier.
I called the vet we saw yesterday. My opinion of her has changed. Not to be rude but she was very useless. She told me it couldn't be pyometra because Penny is "too young". I heard that it can happen at any age. When I questioned her she got short with me.
I have a call in with another clinic now. I hope they call soon. I'm freaking out.

Delaine

Cavy Slave
How old is Penny? Why do these things always seem to happen on a long weekend?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the well wishes!

Penny is about 1.5 years old. I gave her some aspirin, hopefully that will help. It's worth a try. I called the other clinic that I take my pigs to and left a message but they haven't gotten back to me. I'm pretty sure they are open tomorrow so I will call then and get their opinion.
Penny is doing pretty good right now. She had some more veg and ate some hay. She gets her another dose of Baytril in 20 minutes. I checked her lady part and I don't see any recent blood. It's weird because it's not constantly bleeding. I don't think it's coming from her bladder. I don't think it's from her bowels either, because when the vet took her temperature bum yesterday there wasn't any blood on the end of the thermometer.

Errgh... I just feel so useless right now. I wish there is more I can do. It sucks living in a small town with not many vet options.

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
I totally agree with [MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION]. Medical issues almost always happen during weekends or holidays. My bunny got quite sick last weekend and we had to make do with what we had. He is okay and back to himself now. Good luck on Penny's speedy recovery!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Today is day 4 of the spotting. Penny is still eating, though from what I have noticed she hasn't been eating as much hay as usual. She has been eating all the veggies I give her, which is good. I think the aspirin that I gave her last night perked her up a bit so I might give her more later.
I thought the other vet clinic that I take my pigs to would be open today, but there isn't an answer. I will call when they open tomorrow and talk to them about getting an x-ray done.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=17918]ellisa[/MENTION], the aspirin worries me. Aspirin is generally contraindicated when there's any sort of bleeding problem, because it interferes with the blood clotting mechanism. I wouldn't recommend giving it to her, especially if you're doing it because she's "warm to the touch." Fever, if that's what it is, is actually beneficial, and shouldn't be reduced unless it's high enough to cause seizures.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Holy cow! I had no idea. I won't do that again. She just felt really warm so I thought it would help. Thanks for telling me. At least she didn't bleed any more while she was on it. She was still bleeding but not more than what it has been.

Now I'm mad because when I asked the emergency vet she didn't tell me not to. Wow, won't be going back to her any time soon.

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Any update on Penny's condition today, [MENTION=17918]ellisa[/MENTION]?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Sorry that I never gave an update yesterday!

Penny is doing so much better! The last time she spotted was Monday morning, and it was only one little spot. She has gained back the 20(ish) grams she lost. She's been eating, wheeking, popcorning, and bossing her cage mate. She seems so much better. The antibiotic must be helping and I guess she really did have a UTI. I still find it weird, though, since she wasn't squeaking when peeing and her pee didn't appear to be bloody. She's on the antibiotics until next Monday.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.