Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? pellets and hay?

lovemyguineas

Cavy Slave
Is it true that Kaytee pellets are not good for your guineas? My guineas do not like the coarse hay, I have been buying them something called Peters Timothy hay and they seem to love it because it is soft. Is this hay not good for them either? I am seeing a lot on this site about Oxbow hay and pellets. Where do I go to purchase these items? I can order online if I have to. I would just need the information to do so.

Id like to ad a question to this:
I know a lot of people say their guineas like the softer, leafier hay better, but does it still do the job of keeping their teeth worn down? Or do you need the harder hay with all the tough stems for that?
:?:

I think that Timothy hay is "softer" because it is a grass hay. I would assume that it works on their teeth since that is the recommended type of hay. Someone else might know better though.

Kaytee products are no good, so stear clear of them

Dr. Fosters and Smith is a great place to order Oxbox products (hay and pellets). They also offer free shipping on EVERY order that is $50+, so you can save lots of money too.

(broken link removed)

If you are looking to purchase locally, I have noticed that Petsmart sells Oxbow products in the smaller quanities. It might be convenient to shop at a store, rather then online, but it'll probably be more expensive to buy multiples of the small bags when you can buy 25 and 50 pound bales of hay and larger bags of pellets online.

As far as the question about the softness of they hay, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else can add to this.

Kaytee products are not good. The hay is usually stemmy and hard, which is probably why your guinea pigs don't like it. They need any kind of grass hay, so it could be timothy, orchard, bluegrass, etc. Orchard is softer than timothy. They all work at keeping teeth trim, so feed whatever kind you want or switch it up to make it for exciting for your piggies! I use Oxbow, but there is also KMs Hayloft or you can buy local hay too! Oxbow and KMs also have the best pellets too :)

Well I guess my main question is what are the best guinea pig hay and guineas pig pellets that you can buy for your guinea pig.?

Either Kleenmama's, which you can only order online, Sweet Meadow, also online, or Oxbow, which you can get online or in petstores. I live in Canada and shipping is too crazy for KMs so I feed Oxbow. Also, no stores sell Oxbow where I live so I order it through my vet.
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
Also, if you go with Oxbow, make sure to get the Cavy Performance for pigs under 6 months, or Cavy Cuisine for pigs over 6 months.

I've heard oxbow is the best. If you look at the kaytee hay (which I bough at first not knowing) But you'll find brown hay in there that looks rotten. I have horses so I know what good hay should look and smell like and kaytee is terrible! I'm buying oxbow from now on and it is either the same price or even cheaper than the other brands.

I should also add that in some pigs Oxbow can make their urine a bit powdery, though I've never had a problem with it.

Edited by bpatters: That's Oxbow pellets that can cause powdery urine, not the hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I do not feed Kaytee hay. I feed Peters hay so I took the ingredients from the Oxbow hay and it is the same ingredients for the Peters so they must be close to the same thing. I can get this at a pet store which is like ten minutes away.

Ohh sorry! I guess I got confused. I've never heard of Peters hay, but if it's green, soft, smells good, and isn't dusty then it should be fine! It's more the quality of the hay that's most important over the brand name. :) Sorry for the confusion, for some reason I thought you were using Kaytee.

That's okay ellisa. You probably got confused because I ask about kaytee pellets being no good. Thanks for the input on the hay. SO glad to know what I have feeding them in the hay department is good! ❤️ Now to get them on track with pellets....lol

I should also add that in some pigs Oxbow can make their urine a bit powdery, though I've never had a problem with it.

Edited by bpatters: That's Oxbow pellets that can cause powdery urine, not the hay.

What does this mean? Is it a bad thing?

@bpatters, thank you for editing my post! I didn't realize I put hay instead of pellets!

@Jaclyn, in some pigs it can cause sludge which can be a precursor to stones. I'm not sure of all the research done on it but I'm sure someone else could provide that for you!

Jaclyn, powdery urine means they're excreting excess calcium from their body. A pig that does that may or may not go on to have urinary tract stones -- that's a complicated process that's not well understood. But I've been keeping an informal record of pigs with stones and whether or not they had powdery or sludgy urine before the stone -- all but one so far has. That's evidence enough to me that if they have sludge or powder, their diets should be changed to see if it can be eliminated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.