Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Pellet Reccomendations?

ziggystargus

Cavy Gazer
Hello!
I've been feeding my piggies Oxbow Essentials pellets, however upon discovering https://www.guineapigcages.com/articles/dealing-with-urinary-tract-stones.38/ (this article) I learned they have waaay too much calcium in them. Any recs for pellets with 0.4% or less calcium, and that don't use calcium carbonate?
Thanks yall!!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oxbow Essentials are fine. In fact, its one of VERY few pellets that we DO recommend. Actually
its what my own pigs have always eaten.

ziggystargus

Cavy Gazer
Oxbow Essentials are fine. In fact, its one of VERY few pellets that we DO recommend. In fact its what my own pigs have always eaten.
awesome! thanks for letting me know. I saw a post from one of the mods here about kidney stones and freaked because Oxbow's max is at 0.75%, when the post recommended a max of 0.4%.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
SPS is another brand that we recommend, and I just checked. Their max is at .6%. If you're located in the US you may wish to give them a try. A lot of our members swear by them.

Last edited:

CuddlyPiggies!!

Cavy Slave
Oxbow Essentials are fine. In fact, its one of VERY few pellets that we DO recommend. Actually
its what my own pigs have always eaten.
I use oxbow garden select pellets, should I switch to essentials instead?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
SPS pellets do have less max calcium than Oxbow Essentials, but they also use calcium carbonate as a calcium source while Oxbow does not. Oxbow discontinued the use of calcium carbonate a few years ago.

I don't know of any other pellets with less calcium in them. The only thing I can suggest is strictly limited pellets for adult pigs to the recommended two tablespoons per day.