Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Tumor Pellegrino’s Medical Thread, Possibly Thymoma

JaneDoe

Cavy Slave
Until now Pellegrino (Intact 6 YO boar) has been very healthy except for lice when he was about two. They were successfully treated with Revolution. In the last month or two he seemed a bit “mopey” now and then and eating a little less. I thought maybe I was imagining it but I took him to the emergency vet anyway.

The emergency vet found nothing remarkable. After I cleaned his cage and started feeding him more fresh veggies he seemed completely normal.

Eleven days later I took him to his regular vet who said he had lost some weight since November. This could be due to the fact that I was probably feeding him less, partly due to working more, getting sick myself and not wanting to attract any more fruit flies, which one housemate has been complaining about.

The regular vet says she did an x-ray and found what could be a thymoma in front of his heart. She says a local exotics vet (one of the best in Virginia) says thymoma surgeries in guinea pigs usually have a poor outcome.

What we are doing now is increasing his feeding and weighing him daily for the next three weeks. Otherwise the only therapy the vet mentioned was anti-inflammatories to reduce inflammation/swelling.

It's been a week. I bumped up his veggie intake (he was eating mostly hay) and he seems somewhat better. I am cautiously optimistic.

Hay is THE staple of Pellegrino's diet, so hopefully he continues to eat plenty of it. Be cautious about more veggies, as this can cause an upset in his GI tract and could lead to gas, bloat, and soft stools. About 1 cup of fresh veggies is all he needs.

You could try supplementing him with Vitamin C as well. Either through Oxbow Vitamin C tabs, or using another product such as Oasis Vitamin C drops.

As for the fruit flies, I get them here in the summertime as well and they are a pain. I made a trap for them that works wonders.

Get a bottle of apple cider vinegar. Put it in a small bowl and put a drop of dish soap in it. Then take Saran Wrap and cover the bowl tightly with it. Use a fork to poke holes in the saran wrap so the flies can get in but harder to get out. It works extremely well.

Keep us updated on Pellegrino's condition. Also bear in mind that senior pigs DO lose weight due to loss of muscle tone as they age.

Thank you. He seems better although it comes and goes. I gave him some peppers and the vet gave us some vitamin C drops.

Peppers are great for vitamin C. Both my boys get a slice of either red, orange or yellow pepper every morning. The slice usually weighs around 50-60 grams and they love it.

The emergency vet said the yellow ones had the most vitamin C. I thought it was the red ones. I bought some of both last night, got a good deal. :)

Awesome. Nope, yellow are highest in vitamin C, orange is second highest, red is third and green is fourth.

Thank you.

Took him to the vet yesterday, she says he seems fine, didn't see the need for more tests, medication etc. I will get more check ups for him and Pinkman when I go visit my mom in the next few months...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.