Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing PeeYew!!!

JessicaSayzRawr

Cavy Slave
Okkayy so I have to beautiful guinea pigs. I have started to notice they are starting to stink. kinda like poop. Any one know any where that I can get soap that is safe for them. I looked on the website at the pet store near me but I can't seem to find anything.O:
If there is any soap how would I go about bathing them.

Their poos don't smell and their urine shouldnt. What might smell is if the cage isn't clean.

Bathing might or might not help. It can dry out their skin if done too often. They do a good job at bathing themselves.

I am not sure. I clean the cages pretty often. The cages don't smell. Like its my guinea pig himself. My little buddy Spike.

Well, sometimes when males do their dominance dance with each other, it can be pretty stinky. Maybe that's what you are smelling.

I don't know why they would do that they are kept in seperate cages right now. Because I didn't want to waste the money one a store bought cage.

In the pics you posted about what breed they are, they were together. Maybe it happened when they were hanging out.

No this just recently started. It might have happened I am not sure. I need to know how to make it go away or something. Its kinda unbareable. Like just petting him or holding him and your hands smell horrible. I can't take it.D:

How old is he? If he's impacted, it might smell. Ive had to clean out an impacted male and boy it sure is a stink-fest!

Store bought cages can start to smell pretty quickly and if he is living in one of those, it's likely that he's been laying in his urine at some point. That might be what you are smelling too.

Yes he lives in a store bought cage it is actually a kinda larger bird cage. It's not roomy at all like when I first got him it was roomy enought for him to run around he use to do laps and fling bedding everywhere. I am going to start building my C&C cage next month once I get my birthday money.
Could one bath make the smell go away because if thats the case it is probably that.

Yes he lives in a store bought cage it is actually a kinda larger bird cage. It's not roomy at all like when I first got him it was roomy enought for him to run around he use to do laps and fling bedding everywhere. I am going to start building my C&C cage next month once I get my birthday money.
Could one bath make the smell go away because if thats the case it is probably that.
Like MaMa said bathing them to often will dry ou their skin.
Even the largest store bought cage is "WAY TO SMALL" even for a baby piggie, Am happy to hear though you are building yourself a C&C Cage soon.
If your already chaning his cage once a day, you may try changing it twice a day and see if that helps.
I'd keep from bathing if at all possible.
I've never had to bathe any of my piggies so I couldn't say what to use, and I've had both Males and Females.
I had one male get impacted and as MaMa said it can be quite fun, I don't know if this would be alright so I ask anyone here to correct me if I'm wrong.
But kitten shampoo should be safe because they say it's one of the safest most mild shampoos on the market for pets. Just make sure it's for "KITTEN'S" and not Cats.

Okkayy. And actually I don't change them daily. I change them weekly but I have been told many people it should be changed more.

Okkayy. And actually I don't change them daily. I change them weekly but I have been told many people it should be changed more.
I'd say theres your problem then.
If your on Fleece I sweep mine up twice a day but if time doesn't permit I do sweep it up at least once a day and do a thourgh cage cleaning every three days.
And if your on shavings or Care Fresh a through cage cleaning every three to four days with a partial change everyday, Cleaning out the pee bedding with as much poop as possible.
I'd say that should solve your problem.

Yeah. but they still have them smell on them. I need to get rid of them smell on them too..

Mine smell too at times so I give my 3 girls a bath and that takes the smell away. Hope this helps

What do you bath them with???D:

i bathe mine with johnston's baby shampoo its in an orange bottle .... i would try fully cleaning it ever 2-3 days and get a scoop or something and take out the wet areas and poops the put a fresh layer of bedding on top after ..

Get small animal shampoo and bathe them. I don't see that it would be much of a problem if you only have to do it once. CALL your local petshop and ask if they have any 'Small Animal Shampoo'... If they don't have it, you can use a human anti-dandruff shampoo called Nizoral that you buy from the chemist- it's used to help treat fungal infections, but I've used it before and my piggies don't seem to have had any side effects. Bathe them in a sink that has high sides so they can't escape - put about 1-2inches of luke warm to warm water so they can still feel something under their feet. You can put them in together. Try to avoid washing their heads because if they get water in their noses and eyes you could cause problems. Lather them up with the shampoo, leave it on for a minute them rinse them off. When they are clean wrap them in towels and make sure they are dry before you return them to their cage or they may get sick - keep them warm...

i bathe mine with johnston's baby shampoo its in an orange bottle
I was told by the vet that HUMAN shampoo is NEVER safe for animals of any kind. I've seen puppies POISONED by being bathed with human/baby shampoo, and they are much bigger than piggies.

PLEASE use small animal shampoo if you can't find anything else just to be safe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.