Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pee in Food dish...Poop in water dish!

SugarBear

Cavy Slave
I've been reading all of the threads on "toilet training", and I have to say they aren't as easy to find for a new user as you might think. I've read many posts where other members are getting frustrated with the never-ending questions about toilet-training. I am sure you get tired of the same question every day and I hope mine is unique and not as repetitive.

My first pig, has been pretty good about pottying in the litter box. All I had to do is put the poops in there and leave the odor of pee in a litter box when I add fresh bedding. The second, however, is terrible at manners! She is used to being in a cage where she could poop or pee wherever she wanted. She keeps pooping in the water and food dishes and apparently she's peeing in the food dishes too! I always see a large wet spot by the food dish where she has peed. I've resorted to putting the food dishes in the litter box, but I really don't think I want her peeing in the food dishes, and I'm trying to figure out how she could possibly be doing this. Do you think she is deliberately peeing in there? Maybe to "mark her territory"? Why on earth would she poop there? It's just getting so difficult with this one and the room is getting very stinky. I cleaned the cage this morning and my husband walked in this evening and said it smelled disgusting! HELP!

I'm currently using just newspaper on the bottom of the cage. I don't want to have to buy enough carefresh to cover an entire 2x8 cube cage - it would eventually break me! I'm thinking about making the cage smaller until I can get her trained and then expanding once she has finally gotten the jist of it. She doesn't seem to pee in the hidey house, just poop, and not as much as she poops everywhere else!

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
I'm still using a newspaper liner, but I have read here that it can smell. I plan to change to towels or fleece in the next few weeks. I don't notice a strong smell (except once I let the cage go an extra day and then cleaned it, and later that day I thought, "gee, I smell pig pee, so fast?" and then noticed the garbage bag full of dirty litter I'd left sitting on the kitchen floor.)

I was using plain water on the bottom because I was nervous about any chemicals even though I sponge-rinse. Now I'm using vinegar and water and I think that helps too.

I can't help with training, although I'm pretty sure I have consistently read that while they may learn to limit their pees to in or around the litter tray, that pooping will always be a random activity?

amfeider

Cavy Slave
Have you tryed Fleece or Aspen bedding? With the water put it in a bottle and show her how it works with the food buy a bowl that clips to the side so that it is high enough she can get food but cant pee in. Try putting the hay rack over the litterbox to teach her to use it.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
Oh - I have a water bottle, they can't pee or poop in it. My pigs would dump a water dish like they dump their pellets. I do often find pig beans in the pellet dish, and I have no idea why. I clean the dish when it happens, which is probably not necessary for health reasons, but is necessary for aesthetics! It's no big deal because they never have a full dish, only some in the bottom.

Einie likes to sit on the salad plate after they've finished. I think it feels cool. He will almost always leave what we call a "tip".

SugarBear

Cavy Slave
I'm looking into the fleece and aspen bedding. I will also go to the dollar store to buy more litter pans in hopes that it will help. Putting their food dish inside the litter box has helped, but Baby STILL pees everywhere else too. I've got about 5 popular pee sites I'll need to occupy with litter boxes. I'll also put fleece or Aspen bedding elsewhere and then once they stop going potty on the cage floor I'll start eliminating some of the litter pans. I sure hope this helps! They're in my office and it's starting to really smell. One thing that doesn't help is that my bunny, Cotton, missed her litter pan and peed on her carpet, so I need to get that up and clean it too!

pennick

Cavy Slave
I agree with Amfeeder, just get a higher feeding dish, or one that clips to the cage and use a water bottle, that will eliminate your problems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.