Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression peanut just can't get along....

canbquik

Cavy Slave
having little problem..... had two piggies, Chloe and Peanut, and just got two more, Ginger and Daisy, now there is problems. Chloe, Ginger, and Daisy all get along fine, eat together, sleep together, play together. When we throw Peanut into the mix she goes after all of them, including Chloe who has been with her since they were little. I hate to have to get rid of Peanut but I don't know what to do. We have a c&c cage, which we put a pet store cage into so that Peanut can see the other piggies and not be able to get them. We've tried many times to leave the pet cage door open so that they can interact, but always ends with Peanut going after someone. Seems Daisy is her favorite target, which we believe she may be deaf or very close. Any help wpould be appreciated. Included a pic of them all, just hate the idea of have to give one up..... peanut just can't get along....

Some questions for you...

How old are the pigs?

How big is the cage you're putting them into?

Did you do introductions in a neutral place and put them into a cleaned cage that doesn't smell like any of them? (Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the intros section is about halfway down.

What is it that Peanut is doing? Is she just rumbling, humping, chattering, nosing off, etc., with no biting? Or is she actually biting the other pigs?

You should try letting your original 2-Peanut and Chloe- "re-bond" during playtime and if they go back to normal you could try seperating the new pigs from the old with 2 in one cage and the other new 2 in a different one but still the cages should be side by side.

How big is your cage?

P.S. Just curious, who is who in the pic? I'll go ahead and guess that the tricolor is Ginger and the brown and white is Peanut? Once again just curious lol

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm suggesting the separation b/c i don't want you to get rid of Peanut when she was already happy at home with Chloe.

Last edited:
I know it is hard to 'Let Go' of your piggies, but who says you have to?

Instead of getting rid of Peanut, try separating him from the group by dividing your cage into two parts. When doing this you can use grids so that Peanut won't get lonely and he can see his old mates, if he still keeps up violent behavior put up plastic instead of grids so they can't communicate AT ALL.

Hope I helped!:)

I know it is hard to 'Let Go' of your piggies, but who says you have to?

Instead of getting rid of Peanut, try separating him from the group by dividing your cage into two parts. When doing this you can use grids so that Peanut won't get lonely and he can see his old mates, if he still keeps up violent behavior put up plastic instead of grids so they can't communicate AT ALL.

Hope I helped!

Example:
peanut just can't get along....

tricolor is chloe, to her right is peanut, behind chloe is daisy and infront of chloe is ginger. they are all about the same age chloe oldest and daisy youngest. all about same weight, chloe 2lbs, ginger 1.8, daisy 1.8 and peanut 1.6.cage is 2x4 grid, and peanut has been seperated but able to see and interact with each other.

canbquik, can you answer the questions in post #2? With that information, we may be able to post some suggestions to help you.

Some questions for you...

How old are the pigs?

How big is the cage you're putting them into?

Did you do introductions in a neutral place and put them into a cleaned cage that doesn't smell like any of them? (Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the intros section is about halfway down.

What is it that Peanut is doing? Is she just rumbling, humping, chattering, nosing off, etc., with no biting? Or is she actually biting the other pigs?
all the same age@ 1 yr
c&c cage 2x4 with 2x2 kitchen overhead
yes introduction was a neutral place and all things cleeaned in cage and fresh
she rumbles, humps,chatters, noses off, and sometimes bites sometime not. just agrevates them all.

If I can jump in here with my two cents. I think your cage is far too small for 4 pigs to live in peacefully. For four girls you would need at least a 6x2 sized cage base, lofts do not count in the square footage.
Also, if she is not drawing blood and there aren't any fierce attacks, like flying into a ball of fur or maliciously attacking to injure, then it is just dominance and needs to be left to work out itself. In my personal experience it is abnormal for pigs to get along great right from the start, there is always some sort of pecking order to be figured out first.
If I were in your situation I would expand the cage to either a 3x4 or 6x2 ASAP, and then re introduce everyone on neutral ground again. Maybe give them the entire kitchen floor or something so they have space, that's what I did with mine. Make sure the cage has no closed hideys meaning only one exit. Use tunnels, stools, and hideys with broad doors they can easily slip out of if threatened. It doesn't fix overnight but separating and reintroducing them only re starts the process each time, and could make things worse.
Worst case scenario you could re bond your original pair and have the other two in their own cage so everyone has a buddy.

Definitely check out this page that bpatters posted (Guinea Pigs Social Life) and look at the introductions area. You'll see that the behavior your Peanut has exhibited are not really anything to worry about. I know that when I was introducing my bunny to my sister's (I don't have any piggy experience yet) seeing behavior like that was really stressful, you don't want to see anyone get hurt, and you can imagine it escalating, but you just have to sit there and watch to make sure there is no bloodshed, because the behavior Peanut is doing right now is really not harmful. She's probably just the most dominant of the group, and she feels the need to show the others that she's boss. Every time you take her away, it will be like they are all meeting for the first time, and dominance games will start all over again. If you're really uncomfortable with this dominance issue, can you think of anyone in your area who has experience with introductions? Maybe a nearby rescue owner can come over and help guide you through this, letting you know which behavior is okay and which is cause for alarm?

A 2x4 is definitely not large enough for four pigs -- you'd see squabbling even among a herd that had lived together for a while if you put them in that small a cage. Check out the home page of this site for cage size recommendations -- the minimum is a 2x6 for four pigs, and more is recommended.

Until you can enlarge your cage, you may either want to put Peanut and Chloe back together in one cage and Ginger and Daisy in another. But do please enlarge the cage, read the article at Cavyspirit, and then try again.

It sounds as if most of it is just normal dominance behavior. If she's not drawing blood when she bites, it's nothing to worry about. But I still wouldn't leave them together in that small a space. At the best, you're likely to get chewed ears, and at the worst, they could get in a real fight and do each other some serious injury.

understand the cage size problem... not neglecting them, just don't have the room right now for the correct cage size ( christmas tree in way). They were going to just be put outside if I didn't take them, so we're adjusting as best we can right now, so bear with me :) they've been together now for couple days and after a few teth chatterings, chasing and nosing apperently the pecking order has been solved. thanks for all comments.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.