Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

peanut butter

L

LPReAnim8eD

peanut butter

is it ok for guinea pigs to have a little peanut butter? mine seem to really enjoy it

A

alilporkbun

Nuts

Peanuts are high in fat, so they wouldn't be good to feed to your pig. So I figure, the same goes for peanut butter, being that it is made from peanut and oil.

T

TheMeggyNessOIA

Re: Nuts

Woops.. well mine LOVE peanut butter and I've given mine some before.. I think I'll stop that now..

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Nuts

Well, I occasionally give my Guinea Pig's sweets to eat. Not often, but maybe once a month. :) Example- my Guinea Pig's have had cookies, milkshakes, cake, etc. before. But these foods in no way should ever be given on a regular basis. They are not healthy for a Guinea Pig. But as long as they are healthy, a little sweet treat doesn't hurt on occasion!

M

Michipoo

^_^

What about Basil? is that ok?

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: ^_^

:mad: Hmm.. I'm not exactly sure. Maybe CavySpirit(Teresa) has an answer to this. :)

P

Pigz101

That's a good question?:lol:

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave

Pigz, I suggest you contact Teresa about this. I'm sure she can tell you if basil is a proper food for guinea pig's. I'm assuming you are quiet angry not knowing this answer to this, based on this emoticon you placed in your post: :lol: .

S

sactowngirl74

My guinea loves cilantro. Anyone know if that's okay?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Cilantro is fine.

Basil is relatively high in oxalic acids (like spinach) and should only be given occassionally.

<em>Well, I occasionally give my Guinea Pig's sweets to eat. Not often, but maybe once a month. Example- my Guinea Pig's have had cookies, milkshakes, cake, etc. before. But these foods in no way should ever be given on a regular basis. They are not healthy for a Guinea Pig. But as long as they are healthy, a little sweet treat doesn't hurt on occasion! </em>

<span style="font-size:large;">NO NO NO NO NO</span> A thousand times NO. And I've told you in the past to NOT give this advice out publicly.

NO TREATS that are not on the recommended food list. PERIOD. It CAN hurt on occassion. NO PROCESSED foods. NO SWEETS -- including the yogurt drop treats, honey and seed sticks and other pet store crap.

Guinea pigs do NOT process sugars well at all and this can lead to bloat -- a very serious and deadly condition -- in guinea pigs. Sugars can seriously disrupt the sensitive digestive process/track in guinea pigs.

See this page for the PROPER foods to feed your guinea pigs: guinealynx.com/nutrition.html

A

Angel04

HUH?????

Cookies? Cakes? Is this a joke or what?

Yeast, Wheats, Gurts, Pasteurized Stuffs and all that lactosic and wheaty foods shouldn't be given EVEN occasionally. Are you sick or what?

golden sonata

Cavy Slave
?!

and your pigs aren't overweight? I give mine a bundle of hay and some pellets and its already fat as ever... not to mention spoiled..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.