Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Patiently waiting for my first KMS hay and pellet order.. Need advice..

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
I am currently using Kaytee.. Yes I know.. Not good!! Both hay and pellets.. My girls are very happy and healthy and I just want what's best for them! My KMS order should be here soon. How do I switch them to new food? I know dogs you do it gradually.. Mix in the new.. Little more each time so their tummys adjust.. Does the same go for piggies? Also.. The Kaytee timmothy hay makes me sneeze.. A LOT! Is the KMS maybe going to help? I've been making other members in the house full the hay.. But they are not always around.. :-( I stocked up on allergy pills and they don't do much good.. Darn hay allergy! Thanks [GuineaPigCages.com] Patiently waiting for my first KMS hay and pellet order.. Need advice..

I mix the new food together over time and them the pigs are on it 100% (like you said about dogs).

I have herd other users switch cold turkey on the pigs becasue they just pick out the new and only eat the old. Try mixing it first and it it doesn't work, switch cold turkey

I am currently using Kaytee.. Yes I know.. Not good!! Both hay and pellets.. My girls are very happy and healthy and I just want what's best for them! My KMS order should be here soon.

Me 2 :cheerful: I just placed my first order this past Saturday. I can hardly wait. I'm so very fed up with what the stores offer. By the way...I love your piggie set up.

Yay us! Lol my piggies are a little on the spoiled side.. Thank you.. Let me know how your piggies do on the new food and hay!

What type of hay did you order? Kaytee sells timothy hay and KM has timothy and orchard grass. I'm allergic to timothy but not the orchard grass. You'll see a huge difference between the hay Kaytee sells and KM sells. Km has wonderful products. I'd switch the pigs over cold turkey. Once yours tastes it, they probably won't want to touch the Kaytee anymore, anyway. My guinea pigs LOVE KM pellets.

I ordered the 2nd cut Timothy.. I think.. Lol

I ordered the 2nd cut Timothy.. I think.. Lol

My allergies are really bad so I've always held my breath when I'd add more hay to their bins. I think it's the dust that really causes the problem. KM is fresh and green and not dusty.

KM is fresh and green and not dusty.

The order of 2nd cut timothy hay that I have from KM is actually VERY dusty, but it's still way better than the Kaytee stuff. It's nice and green and the pigs love it

Got a tracking number.. My order will be here tomorrow! I hope my sneezing and asthma gets better :)

Well??? Did FedEx knock on your door yet?? I was sent my tracking number yesterday and it's not on FedEx's records yet. Let me know what you think about the quality.

Not yet... I'm trying to be patient..lol usually early afternoon they get here.. :) ill keep you posted.. Hoping I'll be better with this hay.. If not I'll order the other kind.

Not yet... I'm trying to be patient..lol

I know the feeling. Since I had an expensive issue with meg and sticky/course hay I'm done with what the stores offer. Took professional advise and have been picking through hay I have now. What a waste. By the time I throw out all the course stuff I'm left with maybe a 1/4 of what I paid for.

Unfortunately KM is out of Orchard until at least August...Does anyone know if 2nd or 3rd cut is better? I have a feeling my orchard hay won't last me until August :( My fiance is allergic to most Timothy but considerably less to the Orchard. I'll be curious to see how the Timothy you ordered looks.

The orchard is better for allergies??

Orchard is usually better for allergies. I'm allergic to both timothy and orchard though.

For timothy, 3rd cut is softer than 2nd cut. 3rd cut also has less seed heads.

Yay! I'm ordering my first batch tonight, if I can. My boys are also currently on kaytee, from their old home, but my girls are on oxbow. They're both on a brand of hay I ordered off of Amazon. My boys don't really eat too many pellets, so I'm hoping they'll change their mind once they get a taste of the good stuff! By the way, I absolutely LOVE your fleece!

Update: Ok.. My order has arrived!! Other than the way it arrived (ripped bag of pellets.. Which were all over the bag of hay) very good quality!! I opened the hay and ... Ready... I did NOT sneeze!! So as far as being allergic.. I'm sure I am and when I dig more I'll sneeze.. Like I do with all hay! I am very happy!! My girls will not stay out of the hay..they have nibbled on pellets.. So we will see.. :)

Yay! I'm ordering my first batch tonight, if I can. My boys are also currently on kaytee, from their old home, but my girls are on oxbow. They're both on a brand of hay I ordered off of Amazon. My boys don't really eat too many pellets, so I'm hoping they'll change their mind once they get a taste of the good stuff! By the way, I absolutely LOVE your fleece!

Thank you! I make my girls lots of liners :) let me know how your piggies like the good stuff! My are diggin it!!

Update: Ok.. My order has arrived!! Other than the way it arrived (ripped bag of pellets.. Which were all over the bag of hay) very good quality!! I opened the hay and ... Ready... I did NOT sneeze!! So as far as being allergic.. I'm sure I am and when I dig more I'll sneeze.. Like I do with all hay! I am very happy!! My girls will not stay out of the hay..they have nibbled on pellets.. So we will see.. :)

The KMS hay might be easier on allergies since it's usually not dusty. I've used KMS for years and it's consistently high quality hay. I've used the orchard/bluegrass in the past but I'm currently feeding 3rd cut timmy to our piggies.

Hopefully you'll stay generally sneeze-free. But even if you do sneeze, isn't it all worth it for the little ones?

The KMS hay might be easier on allergies since it's usually not dusty. I've used KMS for years and it's consistently high quality hay. I've used the orchard/bluegrass in the past but I'm currently feeding 3rd cut timmy to our piggies.

Hopefully you'll stay generally sneeze-free. But even if you do sneeze, isn't it all worth it for the little ones?

Yes.. It is way less dusty! Sad thing .. Lil piggies have my wrapped around my lil finger.. Lol so very worth it :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.