Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Paralysis?! Won't move back legs.

queenjane

Cavy Gazer
I am so heartbroken right now. We have a sweet male guinea pig, Miles. My 7 yr old son was NOT thinking, and "tossed" him into his cage (open top C and C cage on the floor) He is not a bad kid, really sensitive and loving but I think he didn't realize how fragile Miles is. My other son came and got me and said Miles is not moving his back legs. I went up there and sure enough, when he walks, his back little feet are just dragging. We are all crying, the boys are hysterical.

I don't know what to do! It is the middle of the night.

I will of course take him to a vet tomorrow, I will need to call around and find an appropriate vet. Money is tight but I guess we'll figure it out.

Is this something a GP can recover from ??? Is there treatment?? Will he need to be put to sleep? I am so so angry with my son right now. And my other son is just beside himself, he is not a crier and he just keeps going to his cage and sobbing.

Advice??? My kids are not mean to animals, and generally act appropriately with them. We are so upset.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
First things first, confine him to a small area to limit his moving. Make sure his food and water are accessible to him without requiring him to move much. The more you let him move around the worse he could make the injury.

Ideally this is a situation that would warrant a visit to an emergency vet, the sooner he is on anti-inflammatory drugs the better his chances are, but emergency vets are very expensive and often won't see guinea pigs/have no experience with guinea pigs. Do you have an ibuprofen on hand? If you do you can give him that until you can get him to the vet, it isn't the most ideal drug but it'll help him until he can get to the vet, the dosage rate is 10mg/kg of body weight every 4 hours. http://www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

First thing in the morning get him into a vet, he will need an x-ray to assess the damage. Also reading this thread may give you some hope http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15475