Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss PAPRIKA : Losing Weight and Energy?

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
Hi, I haven't been on the forum in a while but I'm very worried about my guinea pig Paprika. She is not yet fully grown but is exactly 1 year old! ( her and her sister's birthday is today APRIL 4th :) )

Recently she has been very unactive: whenever I approach the guinea pig cage with veggies, she doesn't run out of hiding anymore, she stays hidden and alone for much of the day now. And even when she gets the veggies, instead of eating it with the other 3 piggies, she goes back alone into a pigloo or under a blanket. I haven't weighed her but she is noticeably smaller now and isn't as heavy as her sister who is exactly the same age.

Does anyone know what is going on with her? Thank You!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs an exotic vet, ASAP. Weight loss is a sign of serious illness in a guinea pig, and failure to eat can be deadly. Don't waste time and money with a dog and cat vet, you need to find a good exotic vet and get her in as soon as you can.

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
okay thank you i'll call a vet. Any idea of what it could be? [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I don't. It could be one of many things.

Frizzyoreo

Cavy Slave
She needs a vet soon. My pig died today because I didnt notice any signs early enough.

Frizzyoreo

Cavy Slave
She must get have teeth issues or if she is sneezing maybe a URI. Does she have a hunched posture and rough coat

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
im so sorry for your loss <3her coat is normal but she does hunch and squish her body together quite a bit and i've noticed another pig keeps nipping her, coukld that mean anything? [MENTION=37537]Frizzyoreo[/MENTION]

Frizzyoreo

Cavy Slave
Is there any other indications of something

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
no the rest of her body looks very healthy (clear eyes, clean nose, ..etc) . I now put her in her own cage so that she wouldn't be bothered , bullied, and that I could see exactly how much she's eating [MENTION=37537]Frizzyoreo[/MENTION]

Frizzyoreo

Cavy Slave
I gues just take her to a vet. It could be a lot of things.

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
okay thanks! [MENTION=37537]Frizzyoreo[/MENTION] . Is it possiblly someyhing serious?

Frizzyoreo

Cavy Slave
It may be but it also may not. I disnt know with my pig and she died of stress as she was being examined because a tooth was missing and the bottom were overgrown. They had to put her on oxygen but she didnt make it. Alwaus see a vet

Fay

Cavy Slave
Hunched posture is usually a sign of pain/discomfort which could be caused by numerous things including infections or something else occurring internally. Whichever it is it needs to be seen ASAP. If she's not eating at all you need to start handfeeding her RIGHT NOW. Not continuously eating is a huge problem and could kill her quickly. Do not delay seeing an exotic vet. You have an emergency on your hands and she will very likely die soon if you don't take action right now. Please read the following guide and take special note of the EMERGENCY 'signs' and the handfeeding guide:

http://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html

"Not eating is extremely serious, as your pet's system will shut down with dire consequences. After as few as 16 to 20 hours of anorexia, liver cells begin to break down and from then on, your pig will only get worse."

Also, for future reference, I'd recommend starting to weigh your pigs regularly. It's one of the very first signs something is wrong when they suddenly start losing weight and it's always better to catch things early:

http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Good luck and I hope she pulls through whatever is wrong with her!

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
thank you for all the information! I wil immediately start to hand feed her ! @Fay

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.