Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Oxbox Hay Quality Going Downhill!

betty

Cavy Slave
The last 2 bags of orchard grass has been very dusty and the grass itself seems like only the tiny tips. It falls out of the hay racks in dusty piles. It looks a bit like lawn clippings rather than full strands of grass.

Has anyone else noticed a decline in the oxbow quality?

I never buy bagged hay because you never know how long it's been sitting on the shelf. I special order 50 lbs of boxed Oxbow orchard grass and it's always really nice.

I never buy bagged hay because you never know how long it's been sitting on the shelf. I special order 50 lbs of boxed Oxbow orchard grass and it's always really nice.

Plus it's CHEAPER!! Have you compared the price at the store for those bags? It's crappy hay so i consider it the "cheap" hay, but it's really not, just cheap quality and like two times the price. I got 25 pounds of Oxbow online for $50. At my local store 2.5 pounds of the same hay is $12. That's online for $2 a pound, or store for $4.80 a pound. That's not even talking about the 15 ounce bags, which are almost $6 a pound, and the online the 50 pound bales are even cheaper per pound. I got mine from a site that has free shipping over a certain dollar amount up to a certain amount of pounds, so i just got everything together and that was it!!

I also wanted to add that i've heard quite a few people mention the quality of Oxbow and others this year, many replied that it's been a bad year weather-wise for hay all around, so it's not as great as usual anyway. I've always considered the bagged hay to be the worst of the hay anyway, so if the good stuff isn't as good as usual, then i'm sure the quality just rolls downhill to the bags as well.

I pay $60 for 50 lbs of Oxbow orchard grass by ordering it through the pet store. It comes in with their regular shipments so I don't pay for shipping.

I wanted to do that but i'm new to pigs and this was my first shipment of hay online, so i wanted to go a little smaller and see how much it was and if my boys liked it. It's a crazy good price, though!!

I ordered larger bags from my petstore and hope the quality will be better once it comes in. Hopefully we have a better growing season this year. I know that we where having trouble at the local horse barn getting good quality hay as well as bedding. Everything around here is VERY wet.

It was a bad year for hay last year. I don't buy store hay because I have farmers around my area who normally have great hay. The hay I got last year was not the best but it was the best in the area. It was so wet all year that by the time farmers were able to get on the fields the hay was way to mature for guinea pigs but its better then dry and musty imo.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.