Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Oxbow treats

Jaclyn

Cavy Slave
I know that pet store treats are not a good idea, especially the yogurt ones, but what about the Oxbow veggie treats or the barley treats? I bought them and she ate one of each yesterday. I think this is good to get her to trust me etc. but I am not sure if they are junk too? I assume that the Oxbow fruit or other ones are not good, so I stayed clear of those, is that correct?

Here are the Oxbow ingredients: Barley Flour, Alfalfa Meal, Rolled Oats, Molasses, Canola Oil (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols and lecithin), Dried Carrots, Dried Potatoes, Dried Cabbage, Dried Red Peppers, Dried Green Peppers, Flax Seed Meal, Kelp, Garlic Powder, Brewers Yeast, Yucca Schidigera

Barley, oats, and molasses aren't good for guinea pigs. They can't have potatoes, and I'm pretty sure a wild cavy never saw garlic, or brewers yeast.

I wouldn't give either the veggie or the barley treats to them.

When you think "treats" for a guinea pig, think herbs -- cilantro, dill, basil, thyme, etc. Or chop a grape into small pieces, or a bit of apple peeling. Mine love all those things, and melon rind is their absolute favorite.

Okay, I had just heard that they were actually good. I guess I was wrong! I just more want to encourage her to eat! She doesn't like anything! (well except carrots and apples). Also, I heard that grapes are really bad for them, is that not true? Something about them being bad for the kidneys if I remember correctly? I didn't know that they could have the rind of melon, cool.

Well if she isn't eating much then I wouldn't give the treats. It would be like giving a kid cake for every meal. I've heard if you chop them up in small pieces and continue to give them they will start to eat them. Also I would stop with the carrots and apples and only give them once a week as those are more of treat foods. She will get hungry and eat the other veggies, it just might take a few days. Try a lot of different kinds to see what she likes.

I don't give her apples/carrots often, but it is the only thing that I have tried that she will eat! I gave her carrots on three occasions, and one after trimming her nails, and I gave her a slice of apple the first day I got her, but not since then.

Jaclyn, if you go under the forum. then go to Diet and Nutrition. Then go under the tack that is called Nutrition:READ ME- Cavy nutrition charts and poisonous plants chart there is a lot of good information. I think this is one of the most important things to look at.:) Hope it helps you. It definitely helped me:heart:

Thanks, I have read this, but I should probably read it again!

With new foods, chop them very fine and put them on something they will eat, like pellets. Or, if they'll eat lettuce, chop the food into matchstick size, roll it up in a bit of lettuce, and hand feed it. You just have to trick some of them into trying new vegetables.

Ya, but she is not eating lettuce, or pellets really, either, so I don't want to deicourage her to eat her pellets by placing lettuce over it!

I am hoping that she will like the Oxbow pellets and the Jojo's hay much better. We will see!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.