Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Oxbow hay problem

acemartini

Cavy Slave
I have heard many wonderful things about Oxbow hay on this forum. So, I decided to give it a try. What an awfully HUGE mistake! I got my 10 lb bag of hay & I swear it was meant for horses. The bag is about 3 feet tall & that is how long the stalks of hay are. I had to go through & start cutting them down in order to fit into the hay racks. And, there is probably 80% sticks in the bag. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks

I have heard many wonderful things about Oxbow hay on this forum. So, I decided to give it a try. What an awfully HUGE mistake! I got my 10 lb bag of hay & I swear it was meant for horses. The bag is about 3 feet tall & that is how long the stalks of hay are. I had to go through & start cutting them down in order to fit into the hay racks. And, there is probably 80% sticks in the bag. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks

I am having the same problem with my current bag. I got the same kind from Petsmart and its crap! Lots of hard stick pieces and brown pieces. I am trying not to waste stuff so I am trying to wait till this is gone but slowly rethinking that idea.

I got mine online from an online pet supply store. I would think that no matter where you buy it, if it is Oxbow it is Oxbow. It was in an Oxbow bag, which means they packed it & shipped it to the retailer. I also hate to waste all that hay but the piggies do not seem to like it.

Did you order timothy hay? I order large boxes of Oxbow orchard grass through my vet and I've never had problems with the quality of hay. The hay can vary because of the weather, but for the most part it's been really good.
I find timothy hay hard and stalky in general, and I'm allergic to it. Their orchard grass is really nice and my pigs love it.

yes, it was Timothy. What is the difference between the two...nutritionally speaking.

I use Oxbow's orchard grass and have never had a problem with it. Orchard grass is generally a bit thinner and more "grassy", i.e. softer and fewer sticks than timothy. It also doesn't aggravate my allergies nearly as bad. I don't think there's a huge nutritional difference; they are both good choices for daily unlimited hay.

https://www.guinealynx.info/hay_chart.html

That link has lots of information on hay. Personally I grabbed some meadow/orchard hay by oxbow today and the boys are in love. Its just a treat until I grab some bales of meadow hay from a farmer near the city.

I'm trying to find a oat hay supplier. Just to try it out.

I'm pretty sure that orchard is also lower in calcium than timothy.

I believe so too. Oat I believe is lower then both. Romeo has heavy calcium pee issues, hence why I want to find some.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.