Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Oxbow 90oz hay bags are cursed

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree with the customer service at Chewy. I had a 90 oz bag of Oxbow timothy that was pretty coarse with lots of stalks. I submitted a 3-star review regarding the quality of the hay, which Chewy can't control. They read my review and wanted to make it right so they sent me an email stating they credited my purchase and suggested I donate the hay to a local shelter. I never thought of asking for a refund, but they were on top of it.

The 40 oz bags seem to be better quality, and I switched to orchard grass which is looking pretty good.

PhattusRhattus

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=44961]PetFamilyBK[/MENTION], that does seem like a lot of dust, as well as shorter, choppy strands in general. I can see a lot of the dust settled under the top hay pieces. Thanks for showing your pictures!

As for my SPS box: I actually took some pictures of my hay as well, but didn't post them here yet. This is what my 10 lb box of SPS orchard grass hay looked like when I first opened it:

Haybox

There are some shorter brown strands mixed, as well as some dust-like strands that fall whenever I scoop up some up. However, the long, greener strands seem to be packed together in clumps such as this one:

SPShay

Because of these clumps, hand sorting the hay is easy and efficient for me. I'll just grab a clump, hold it above the hay box, and lightly shake any of the dusty bits out and back into the pile. This gets the tiny strands out, and although this process leads to more of them ending up back in the box, it's easy to grab and discard those dusty piles when they start accumulating. For the shorter brown strands that get stuck amongst the longer green ones, I just "comb" some of them out of the clump using my fingers (I rarely get splinters now since switching to orchard grass hay). Then, I take what remains and put it into a new bin, for easy grabbing and refilling whenever I notice the hay bag is getting empty. I have two plastic sifters I sometimes put at the bottom of the bin, which keeps the hay elevated so that gravity can help sort out additional dust.

Haybin

So far, it takes about 5-10 minutes of sorting to get enough to fill a large hay bag, which is well worth it. My Texel buddy Root tends to become a walking hay feeder (and a walking fur mat) if too many short strands of hay end up on the cage floor, fur trimmed or not. He's also naturally the greasier of my two boars, and, well, let's just say that I've found hay in places I never thought I'd find hay in. Plus, his picky Silkie cagemate Demy hasn't been sticking his head directly into the hay bag as often or as deep now (which, with timothy hay, led to a mild hay poke incident), since he doesn't feel the need to incessantly nose around for the greenest strands amongst the filler brown anymore. The more hay eaten, the less (inedible) hay on the floor, the less fur mats, and the less hay poke incidents, the better, I'd think. Demy was not a big fan of the vet turning him into a temporary burrito.

I'm sure I'll get down to the dustier regions of the SPS once I grab all the clumps, but in general, I've been pleased with my SPS box. I'll keep digging through it as time passes and see how it looks then.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
I'm having issues with UPS and my SPS order...they say it's out for delivery 2 days in a row and it still isn't here. I don't remember if they have other shipping options, but man I'm getting mad about it. I stopped ordering it w/ Amazon because their one day shipping was taking 2 to 3 days, and now it's been a week w/ UPS. I have to go to work and buy Oxbow for my guys til SPS arrives. I love SPS, but I have a very low tolerance for poor shipping. It isn't SPS fault, but it makes me think twice about my next order if I can't rely on the shipper.

Can anyone recommend a different hay brand to try that uses Fedex?

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
All the shippers are having problems.

True, but I seem to be particularly targeted when it comes to shipping issues. I've always had shipping issues ever since I could start ordering things on my own over a decade ago. I live with my sister and she gets numerous packages from different carriers every day, and she NEVER has a package delayed or missing. But when it comes to me, if a package can go missing or be delayed, it definitely will. The only carrier I've yet to have a missing/delayed package with is Fedex. Generally, I trust UPS and Fedex MUCH more than USPS.

Back on topic, I went to work and got some more Oxbow. The smaller bags (forgot the size) looked a little sad/pale in color, so I decided to look at the 90oz bags and they looked more green. Dumping the bag in my empty 10 lb SPS box makes things much easier. The hay looks great and doesn't look funky like it has in the past. The boys are happily munching away.

I did decide to contact SPS just in case UPS doesn't deliver it tomorrow.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
I'm having issues with UPS and my SPS order...they say it's out for delivery 2 days in a row and it still isn't here. I don't remember if they have other shipping options, but man I'm getting mad about it. I stopped ordering it w/ Amazon because their one day shipping was taking 2 to 3 days, and now it's been a week w/ UPS. I have to go to work and buy Oxbow for my guys til SPS arrives. I love SPS, but I have a very low tolerance for poor shipping. It isn't SPS fault, but it makes me think twice about my next order if I can't rely on the shipper.

Can anyone recommend a different hay brand to try that uses Fedex?

My package eventually arrived after being 'out for delivery' for 4 days. SPS was great when I emailed them and they have someone at UPS who can track the orders w/ GPS. The box came a little beat up (due to UPS) and the hay seems less impressive than usual. It is duller and doesn't look quite as nice as the last boxes. On the plus side, they sent me extra birch logs (for my hamsters) when I had only ordered one. But, the pigs are eating the hay just fine and I have quite a bit to go thru.

4boipigs

Cavy Slave
Once again I'm still trying to judge when to order from SPS as I run out of hay. This time I still ran out and had to get some Oxbow from work. The hay is 'odd' but idk how to describe it. Big, thick pieces that the pigs aren't a huge fan of.

I bought a 20 lb box this time and UPS delivered it on time. I only needed to use Oxbow for one day. I also have been buying logs for my hamsters from SPS - maple and birch so far. The birch are small (6 inches or so) and hamster sized, but the maple logs are around a foot long! I just got the maple logs today and was surprised at the size despite being listed as 'small'.

Overall I'm glad to have SPS as an option, I just wish I could judge when to order more. Hopefully a 20 lb instead of a 10 lb box will help that.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I usually order when the hay is down to 1/3 in the hay box.

I just ordered orchard from Dakota Hay, a new vendor to me on Ebay, and it was supposed to arrive last Thursday, then Friday, and now today. We'll see....