Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Overweight piggies need a diet

leesurr

Cavy Slave
I went to the vet a few months ago and found out that my pigs are on the larger side. Pepper weights a hefty 1300kg and Molly and Zelda at 1000kg! My vet told me that 1200kg was the max weight. I've been trying to restrict their diet a little bit (putting the pellets in only at certain times of the day- told by vet, giving them more hay) They are by no means straving! I feed them veggies everyday and wonder if I should start to limit those. I usually give them lettuce, spinach,, tomatoes, celery, cucumbers, carrots and some other special veggie of the week (corn). I also feed them fresh grass every night. Any other veggies that I should be feeding them? They are by all means healthy and happy, but as they get older I don't want their "poor" diet to cause any health problems.

I just realized that my pellets are alfafa based, so I'll be getting timothy-based tomorrow. I came up with a feeding schedule, only giving them 2 or 3 veggies in the morning and at night, and then rotating them throughout the week.

Ex.
Mon AM - green lettuce, spinach, cilantro
Mon PM - red lettuce, cucumber, carrot

Tues AM - red lettuce, celery, carrot
Tues PM - green lettuce, tomato, fresh grass

etc.

I also have the proper portions for each pig (any suggestions for those?). Does this seem like a good menu to follow? Of course, I'll be giving them pellets for a few hours in the morning and at night and plenty of hay! I would love any suggestions that you can give me :)

I assume you meant grams, not kilograms, right? Those would be some hefty pigs! lol The veggies sound good, and I don't think they will make your pigs fat. It is usually a result of too many pellets.

My pigs are also getting up there in weight, and I would definitely limet the pellets before the veggies. Also, a bigger cage mighth help, they can exercise more.

A bigger cage, less pellets.

Also, corn is not good for Pigs. You can feed husks, but not the corn itself.

@Zuidy Actually you can feed corn, as long as it's not cooked, pigs love to strip the cob fully of it. Though it can't be feed daily, only about once a week or less. The husk and silk can be feed daily.

@Zuidy Actually you can feed corn, as long as it's not cooked, pigs love to strip the cob fully of it. Though it can't be feed daily, only about once a week or less. The husk and silk can be feed daily.

Sorry.

my understanding about pellets is that each grown guinea pig should get 1/4 cup per day. i give mine 1/8 cup (which is about 1 Tablespoon) twice a day.

I assume you meant grams, not kilograms, right? Those would be some hefty pigs! lol The veggies sound good, and I don't think they will make your pigs fat. It is usually a result of too many pellets.

Oh kgs definitely!

Do you have multiple pigs? How do you make sure each is getting enough?

Just make sure you have about a bowl for each pig, then put 1/8 a cup pellets in each bowl. Hay is the most important thing, so much sure they have good quality unlimited hay. Pellets are the least important.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.