Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Wheezing Over Reaction?

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
About an hour ago while I was on my computer I heard a wheezing sound, it was so loud I thought one of my cats had a hairball. Turned out it was my little Pippin. I took him out of the cage and listened to him. He soon started breathing quieter. He ate a carrot. He's now in a pen and I can't hear any wheezing, and is being his usual self trying to escape from the pen.

I am normally a very indecisive person, but when I panick I do things quickly. A vet near me said if I bring him in around 3 she'll squeeze him in, she doesn't like to wait on the little guys. Now he seems pretty much normal.

I know guinea pigs can go downhill very fast. But did I over react? Now my indecisiveness is kicking in. My confidence in deciding things is easily shattered.

Did he possibly have a bit of hay caught in his throat? That can frequently happen with pigs. They sort of wheeze until they cough to clear their throats. I would keep an eye on him for a bit, and is it happens again, I would take him in to the vet. It could just be food caught, but it could also be the start of a URI.

I think I'll take him in. He's not wheezing now. But I'll worry if I'm not assured he's ok, and I've never had to take my pigs to the vet before. I'd like to meet the vet anyhow.

Do whatever your heart is telling you to do. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

The vet said its a URI, though she worded it as the very beginning of pneumonia.

She wants to X-ray him then she'll give me antibiotics for both the pigs since they live together and Merry probably has whatever Pippin has. I am definitely glad I took him in.

Poor piggie. Yes, very good that you took him in!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.