Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Outdoors

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!

I just took my guinea pigs outdoors for the first time. They seemed rather scared of the idea at first. Oh well! We will keep doing it and as time goes by they should get better.

So, I have a few questions for the next time we go outdoors:

How should I keep them cool? The temperature here is 65 F and the ground was about the same.

Where should I put the pen? In the shade? Today I did it half in the sun and half in the shade. Big Sis' realized that the "dark" area was shady and cool. Lil' Babe didn't, though.

What should I do with them outdoors? I feel bad when they are so scared when we come back indoors. Will they get used to it? I will only begin to take them outside frequently when the weather is constantly nice.

How often should I take them outside?

Piggies can get a URI from breezes, can't they? Well, I don't get it. There is always going to be a small bit of wind here and there isn't there?

If I offer the Guinea Pigs their Hidey Huts that I have inside, they just sit in those the whole time........ What is an alternative? I have tubes and a few tissue boxes. Should I give them hideys?

There are still a bit of leaves on my lawn. But, we have fresh grass too. Is it OK for the piggies to eat a bit of the leaves?

We live by a somewhat busy road. However, I don't put my Pigs out front by the road, but in my back yard which is far from the road and blocked off by my house. Is the grass still unstable to eat?

__

Thanks so much everyone!

I was wondering the same thing!

Anybody? I need some help.

Seriously? I typed out a long thread and no replies after 6 and a half hours?

Well, my piggy's do most of their floor time in the garage, but you seem a little desperate for answers, so I'll tell you what I know. 65 degrees is an okay tempature for the summer. But once it gets to be hotter and you still wanna take them outside, you'll need to have a way to cool them down. That would probably be the same methods to keeping them cool inside, a frozen waterbottle wrapped in a towel, a food dish filled with ice, a tile, a wet cloth on the ground... Yes, the best place for piggies is out of direct sunlight, so as much in the shade as possible is better. They'll get used to it, it's just something new. My pigs were TERRIFIED the first few I took them in the garage, but now they run around, eat their veggies and have fun. I'd suppose as much as you want, there aren't any rules as to how much they should be outside. I've never heard of a guinea pig getting a URI from a breeze, but I would guess that that would only be on cold days with huge gusts. That's normal the first few times. Try putting out some veggies near their hidey to lure them into coming out. And yes, they need hideys in order to feel comfortable. Other wise they may freak out with no where to hide. Whatever hidey you wanna use would be fine, but I don't reccomend tubes. The slick grass isn't as good as holding the tube in place, so if a piggy runs in, you may end up with a spinning tube, which is not good. I don't I'd be a very good idea, as you wouldn't know if those leaves were bad for piggy's or not. You could just pick or rake the leaves out of just the piggy's area. I think it'd be fine, unless the grass was sprayed with chemicals.

Well, my piggy's do most of their floor time in the garage, but you seem a little desperate for answers, so I'll tell you what I know. 65 degrees is an okay tempature for the summer. But once it gets to be hotter and you still wanna take them outside, you'll need to have a way to cool them down. That would probably be the same methods to keeping them cool inside, a frozen waterbottle wrapped in a towel, a food dish filled with ice, a tile, a wet cloth on the ground... Yes, the best place for piggies is out of direct sunlight, so as much in the shade as possible is better. They'll get used to it, it's just something new. My pigs were TERRIFIED the first few I took them in the garage, but now they run around, eat their veggies and have fun. I'd suppose as much as you want, there aren't any rules as to how much they should be outside. I've never heard of a guinea pig getting a URI from a breeze, but I would guess that that would only be on cold days with huge gusts. That's normal the first few times. Try putting out some veggies near their hidey to lure them into coming out. And yes, they need hideys in order to feel comfortable. Other wise they may freak out with no where to hide. Whatever hidey you wanna use would be fine, but I don't reccomend tubes. The slick grass isn't as good as holding the tube in place, so if a piggy runs in, you may end up with a spinning tube, which is not good. I don't I'd be a very good idea, as you wouldn't know if those leaves were bad for piggy's or not. You could just pick or rake the leaves out of just the piggy's area. I think it'd be fine, unless the grass was sprayed with chemicals.

Thanks. I just thought that a Guinea Pig could get a URI from drafts?

Yeah, we don't spray with anything, and I will take the leaves away. I will also give them their Hideys. I feel bad not having done that. Oh well, though. Better late than never. Thanks again!

Well, that's a lot of air constantly blowing on them pretty hard. Not a light outdoor breeze.

Okay, then you should be good. Don't feel bad, when I first put my pigs in the garage, I could upset they wouldn't come out and I picked up their pigloo and put it on the other side. They freaked out and huddled together, so I felt bad and put it back.

Glad I could help!

Well, that's a lot of air constantly blowing on them pretty hard. Not a light outdoor breeze.

Okay, then you should be good. Don't feel bad, when I first put my pigs in the garage, I could upset they wouldn't come out and I picked up their pigloo and put it on the other side. They freaked out and huddled together, so I felt bad and put it back.

Glad I could help!

Thanks so much!

The weather isn't supposed to stay real nice........ Poo....... Oh well. I just wanted to try it out. I will get them out (try to, at least) once a week. Other than that that can get floor time indoors 3 days a week.

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.