Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Our 5 year old piggie has lice

Hamandeggs

Cavy Slave
We have a 5 year old male that has been dealing with lice now for over a month. Our vet has been giving him shots of Ivermectin every two weeks for four doses but he still has them. He's not infested, but they aren't going away. The vet now wants to shave him. Is this a good idea for a piggie that's older? I have read about maybe using Advantage, but his age is making me worry about what treatments to use. We need help, he's not doing too good. Last time we took him in he had a fever and has lost about 4 ounces in a month, even though he's not itching severly and it doesnt look like there are a ton of them on him.

Thanks guys.

Shaving him would be fine.

Why not try Revolution? Most vets have it, or you can order in online from Pet Shed.

Thanks foggy. Are there any risks with shaving him? We do run an air conditioner, but its on the other side of the rooms from our piggies. How long would it take his hair to grow back?

What type of lice does your guinea pig have? There are three types of lice: running lice, static lice and burrowing mange mites (the only mites of the three that get under the skin.) I'm assuming they might be running lice because you can see them. Ivermectin is effective at treating mange mites since the mites feed off the blood but it can take multiple applications to get rid of them with bad infestations. Topical Ivermectin should treat all types of lice but it can take three or four applications to get rid of mange mites. If you have multiple guinea pigs, you should be treating all of them. You can transfer lice or eggs from one to another and running lice can travel from one cage to another.

Its definitely not mange mites. We can see them and the eggs, and the vet took a strip and checked it under a microscope. Our vet said that at his age the topical Ivermectin was more dangerous than the injection so she didnt want to do the topical. We take the other two for nail trims this week and will have them checked again. they have tested clean so far , we've been having the vet make sure they havent caught them. Since this started we dont handle them one after another or let them near each other, and we scrub our hands every time we touch or handle Eggs (our sick piggie). Our vet is really pushing for shaving him. I might mention the Revolution that Foggy mentioned to her, I read up on it and it seems to be a really safe topical medication.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.