Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare Other species and pigs living together.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
I hate seeing it. There are SO many videos of "Pigs and [insert rodent here] together!". Makes me sick. I feel very strong when it comes to the welfare and proper care of animals, so things like this probably irritate me more than they should, but it just makes me want to scream. Even when people say "Sorry I didn't know they shouldn't be together!", you should research the compatibility of species before putting them together. It's most irritating, however, when people think they're right saying it's okay for any two incompatible species to live together, even though they know it's wrong. They think they're is an "exception" for them. Well get to reality and pay attention, these animals don't work together, and it's not different for you. Different communication, different sicknesses, different diets, different housing needs, different dominance and aggression issues, all kinds of things make animals not able to live together. :mad:

I agree, this is so annoying! I remember seeing a video of a hedgehog and a guinea pig together. The person said that they shared the cage for a few days. In the video, the hedgehog was climbing the bars and kept falling down, and even fell down ON the guinea pig's back!

That's sad. I feel bad for both animals. :c

That is really horrible. I've seen rabbits and guinea pigs housed together as well. Which is sad because one kick from the rabbit in the wrong place can injure or kill the piggy. Which is really sad and sick just because people are lazy.

Yeah. One time I was on YouTube and there were baby guinea pigs sharing a junk pet store cage with HAMSTERS. Absolutely disgusting. Sharing those terrible diets with seeds and colored bits. And from what I remember, there was no hay, though I could be wrong. Not like adding hay would have made that situation any better. Similarly, there is/was this troll account on YouTube that was against C&C cages for pigs and even caught on video their rabbits and guinea pigs BREEDING. It was a horrible sight. I reported his/her's account but never got anything back, assuming YouTube doesn't care (animal abuse is okay but using music in your videos isn't? *YouTube logic*). Sick people. Goodness.

Someone posted an ad on Craigslist with a baby bun and a piggie living together. I mean, they were in a c&c cage but that still doesn't make it right.

Mammal or not this happens far to often. People are foolish enough to keep multiple solitary lizards or snakes together in completely inadequate cages. It's even worse when you see two different snakes with a bearded dragon or some other lizard sluming it on sand. Even cases where birds or small rodents and cats are allowed to meet are not ok. People don't seem to understand that animals aren't people and shouldn't be treated as such. The absolute worst is the "cute" pictures of inter-species mixing of wild and sometime endangered animals like tigers and chimps. If they thought about the picture for more than 2 seconds it wouldn't be hard to reach the conclusion that what's going on is wrong.

I agree. Sad. It's horrible to go on YouTube and see videos like that. There have been cases where I've reported videos before because they ignored or dismissed comments telling them it was wrong to do. </3

One thing I've discovered from is that while knowledgeable guinea pig people know that rabbits and pigs don't mix, many rabbit people (including rescues) often advocate keeping rabbits with pigs.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that sometimes rabbits can be trickier to bond than pigs. I've heard a rabbit rescue person I know tell adopters that "he won't get along with other bunnies, but you can get him a guinea pig companion".

One thing I've discovered from is that while knowledgeable guinea pig people know that rabbits and pigs don't mix, many rabbit people (including rescues) often advocate keeping rabbits with pigs.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that sometimes rabbits can be trickier to bond than pigs. I've heard a rabbit rescue person I know tell adopters that "he won't get along with other bunnies, but you can get him a guinea pig companion".

My sister kept her two bunnies and two pigs together in a huge cage, they all lived to old age. Not that I would do it, hell, I can't even get two sets of boars together.

I've taken in guinea pigs that have been dropped off at the rabbit rescue along with their bunny companions. Two of these guinea pigs had pasturella, one had a large wound on his back that abscessed, and two others had chewed ears.

People who are not prepared to do the research should not keep pets. When I get an idea I always look it up first, its how I found c&c cages. Its not hard to do. All you have to do is type in google "can I keep a hedgehog with a guinea pig" or "is breeding a good idea" if people would just take the time to do a bit of research then it would be okay. I have even seen videos where people dump their pets in a large wading pool and then claim that their pet loves swimming. You can actually see how frightened the animal is and that it is trying ti get out.
There are so many videos on youtube of cats and guinea pigs, or people forcing their pets into harnesses, makesme feel sick. But this was the one that really made me mad.
[video=youtube;5kWyw7kJkoE]

There is no way for her to get out!!! And they claim that she loves swimming on the description!

I've seen that video before; I feel so bad for the pig because there's no way for it to get out and the people honestly think it's having a good time. I commented on a video once where the people had 2 pigs in a bathtub being made to swim and were climbing on top of each other to try and get out. Someone responded to my comment calling me all these names, saying the guinea pigs were "Just having fun" and that I didn't know what I was talking about.

The really sad part is, there's always tons of comments like "I can't wait to put my pig with my rats!" and "I'm going to try making my pigs swim! So cute!"

Yeah Ive seen multiple videos of guinea pigs being put in with rabbits, when there have been stories of rabbits maiming or killing guinea pigs. Makes me so angry! :mad:

i don't know why people keep rabits and pigs together, i don't understand why people would wanna take that massive risk...

I seen the vid... so depressing! :(

Just a quick message,

It's like having a alien species in your home! You cannot communicate with it, it has different medical, diet, housing, grooming, dominate, needs, different personality. Rabbits can try to mate with cavies, one kick and they could die! It's terrifying for them, having something thrown in your home that you cannot communicate with and it has the power to kill you! It makes me sad, depressed and annoyed! People can be so foolish!:mad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.