Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Other cages?!

katiebby21

Cavy Slave
So I am probably getting a c&c cage, but my parents want to try and find something cheaper. if there's nothing, then I still am getting a c&c cage.
but, is there any ideas on making your own cage alternate to c&c?
Something creative & easy?

I saw some with wood.. but I don't know if I would want that.
ideas??

"something cheaper"? Well, I'm not sure how much cheaper you can go from $25 for a cage, but I suppose you could make a reasonably large cage with some lumber and some 1/2 inch wire fencing, and just cut the fencing and staple it on with a staple gun. That's what I did when I needed to build a temporary chick enclosure.

Edited to add: Wood and wire fencing stapled together isn't a satisfactory, or safe, cage for a guinea pig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grids are about as cheap as you can go. You don't absolutely have to have the coroplast, but you do need a waterproof bottom. That could be an old plastic table cloth or a shower curtain, but you do have to make sure that the pigs can't get to it to chew it.

Unless you like having the bedding kicked out all over the floor, you'll need something for the sides. That could be cardboard, but you'll have to replace it occasionally as they pigs will eat it. Coroplast is best, because they can't chew too much off of it. Today is election day in most states, so there should be a ton of old political signs around that you could grab tomorrow.

Wooden cages aren't good for guinea pigs, because they can chew the wood, and unless you can get it sealed perfectly watertight, it will soon smell from the urine. And they can't be housed on wire, either. Besides, grids are much cheaper than building a wood cage.

You can make an excellent cage out of closet shelving, but it will be more expensive than the grids. And once you've bought and constructed it, that's pretty much the shape it will always be unless you go buy more shelving. With grids, you can remodel as often as your heart desires.

If you're looking at buying one of the kits you might consider it "expensive," but if you just buy the grids from k-mart (or other stores) and a sheet of coroplast you won't be spending much money at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.