Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Ordering KMS pellets and storing hay

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I'm sorry for just making a new thread about this instead of hunting for the answer, as I can't seem to find at thread that is about pellets for three piggies.
I am currently feeding my boys a nice plain pellet food that is rich with vitamin C, but at $3 a bag for a few pounds, it's adding up and I'm tired of running to Walmart once a week for food. I have three boars, one of which is only three and a half months old. I am thinking of buying the 10 lb. bag of KMS pellets, but will that be enough to last me to justify the shipping costs? Should I just go ahead and order the 25 lb?
Also, can someone give me tips on how to store fresh hay? I usually just throw a few flakes in a garbage bag and take it home but this time I will be going back to school and I have to make it last unless I want to start buying bags of orchard grass again (I get my hay from the barn where we keep our gelding, Eli).. And at $6.99/bag for three piggies, that's just not going to happen financially! I refuse to go back to feeding them the KayTee timothy hay. It's always SO gross.

Thanks!

Hay can be stored in cardboard boxes or plastic bins with lots of holes in them (both the boxes and the bins) so that air can circulate. It just needs to be kept dry, the temperature doesn't matter.

Twelve pounds of pellets for two pigs lasts me 5-6 months, so you can work it out for three that way.

Are you getting alfalfa pellets for the 3 1/2 month old? Pigs under 6 mths should have a diet supplemented with alfalfa. They all can have the timothy hay but under 6 mths also needs the alfalfa.

As for how much of a pellet order you should make. The pellets do last a while. They only get 1/8 of a cup each so 10 lbs should last a while.

i've ordered from kms both pellets and hay. i'm sure i over-ordered the pellets, but i have them in air tight bags in the frigerator - i'm told they'll last up to a year in there. as far the hay, when it arrives it's compacted. i take it out of the plastic bag and just dump it back in the cardboard box. then i punch holes in the box. because it's so tightly packed, it doesn't take up as much room as you'd think. the quality is so much better, i can always find a place to keep the box - usually under their cage!

Are you getting alfalfa pellets for the 3 1/2 month old? Pigs under 6 mths should have a diet supplemented with alfalfa. They all can have the timothy hay but under 6 mths also needs the alfalfa.

Can I still give it to him if he lives with a 3 year old? How will I keep Scout from eating it?
He also gets parsley daily.
Thanks!

Last edited:
No, 3 yr olds should not get alfalfa. It contains a much higher calcium content that younger pigs and pregnant females need. I suggest feeding the 3 1/2 mth old his pellets separately - take him out and feed him elsewhere.

You'll probably do better giving him extra parsley and supplementing vitamin C rather than trying to feed his pellets outside the cage. With mine, they eat pellets on their own schedule, not on mine. I've never been able to get either one of them to take a single pellet from me, or to eat them outside the cage if I put them down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.