Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ordered my 1st KMS Hay!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Really excited and looking forward to this 9lbs batch of 2nd cut Timothy.
Mr. Whistles is on Oxbow, but I want nothing but the best for him.

What was your piggy(s)' reaction to the new hay?
What was your reaction?
What were you using before KMS?
How long does the shipping take? I'm guessing a week?

I actually got 3rd cut timothy hay, but all of their hay is really good quality. My pigs LOVE their hay, they squeak for it when they hear me getting it out and all four rush to it. They have hay all day long, but I guess they like the exitement of new hay in their rack. I am very very pleased with the new hay, I used the Kaytee hay from the store before and the difference is night and day. It took at least a week for me, but I'm in Texas. It depends on where you live. I am sure you and your pigs will be very happy with your hay when it arrives:)

LOL
I am located in Central FL.
They have am KMS store?!

No, there is no store. I am pretty sure they get their hay from different farmers in the North and they just ship it everywhere. So for you, it'll probably be at least a week as well.

So every time the Fed-ex man delivers a box, my pigs flip out wildly when I first open it. The hay aroma has been building up inside the box during travel. It smells so good and potent!

I used Oxbow and Kaytee in the small bags when I first got my pigs, and they were not enthusiastic about either. Not much wheeking or anything. I get wheeks every time I re-fill the KMS!

Mine takes 1-2 days to arrive, but I live in the same state as them.

When I switched Whistles from Kaytee to Oxbow he deff showed a much more liking to Oxbow.
He has done some wheeking for Oxbow. But not as much as he does for his veggies.
I cannot wait to get it. This 9lbs box should last Whistles a while.
9lbs for $11 vs 3lbs of oxbow for 11.99
I already did all the math. Even with the shipping, we're saving money.

I am sorry I dont think so they charge a killing for shipping

3lbs of Oxbow lasts Whistles maybe a month. Oxbow costs me 11.99
I'm thinking 9lbs will cost 3 times more
11.99 x 3 is 35.97
Including shipping my order came to 26.71
About $10 of savings for me.

That's why people should take two seconds and do some math. I keep hearing folks on the other side of the country from KMS say they save money regardless. If you're not saving, don't buy it. :p

Some also have access to local hay and buy bales for dirt cheap.

Something to consider besides cost per pound/ounce, is waste. Sometimes petstore bags of hay have tons of stems the pigs eat around, or tiny scrap pieces.

I started first with the 9lbs as well! Now I have a fifteen pound box! (well, probably closer to 12 or 13 pounds now!)

You will love it. Just be careful when you give it to the Piggies that there aren't any strange bits in it-- Don't get freaked out by this whatsoever but they do get it from a farm that can't use pesticides for the Pigs sake-- such as Crickets, alive or dead, or other bits of fur from animals and the like.

I put a ton of hay in the girls cage, and when I cam back and looked at it, there was about a palmful of fur in the cage. I thought it was their's! But nope. It wasn't.

Good job in ordering from them though!

That's why people should take two seconds and do some math. I keep hearing folks on the other side of the country from KMS say they save money regardless. If you're not saving, don't buy it. :p

Some also have access to local hay and buy bales for dirt cheap.

Something to consider besides cost per pound/ounce, is waste. Sometimes petstore bags of hay have tons of stems the pigs eat around, or tiny scrap pieces.

I do have access to bales of hay. But it is more of horse quality than guinea pig quality. So much sticks n all. And Mr. Whistles HATES sticks.

I started first with the 9lbs as well! Now I have a fifteen pound box! (well, probably closer to 12 or 13 pounds now!)

You will love it. Just be careful when you give it to the Piggies that there aren't any strange bits in it-- Don't get freaked out by this whatsoever but they do get it from a farm that can't use pesticides for the Pigs sake-- such as Crickets, alive or dead, or other bits of fur from animals and the like.

I put a ton of hay in the girls cage, and when I cam back and looked at it, there was about a palmful of fur in the cage. I thought it was their's! But nope. It wasn't.

Good job in ordering from them though!

LOL
Finding odds n ends in hay is nothing but fun for me.
I find em in my horses' hay all the time. Usually just trash/bugs.
TYVM

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.