Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Orchard Grass vs. Timothy Hay

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
I'm currently feeding my girls Oxbow orchard grass, but my vet suggested that their sneezing was due to the hay particles and suggested to change it to timothy hay to see if it's true.

However, I was planning on ordering the 9lb orchard grass online which is cheaper than store bought 15 oz when I divide the overall cost per ounce. (Funnily enough, the overall cost for online 15 oz and 40 oz is more expensive then store bought).

Should I buy timothy hay from the store to test the vet's theory? Or should I stick with orchard grass?

I've heard that orchard grass is softer than timothy hay and that cavies typically like the softer hays better.

My pigs sneeze quite a bit if I don't fluff their hay outside to rid it of excess dust. I don't think it's dependant on the type of hay, though.

Buying Oxbow in bulk online is better quality than the bagged stuff you find in Petstores. I'm betting it will be less dusty. Or are you buying another brand?

I also have an air purifier, which you've said you're saving up for.

I'm still using Oxbow.

What do you mean by "fluff their hay"?

I buy my hay online in these compressed bales. When I get them, I seperate the bale into different boxes. Seperating the bale and shaking any small bits off the long pieces results in tons of dust flying off.

My pigs always sneezed more from timothy than orchard grass. I'm allergic to timothy but have no problems with orchard grass. I think the best thing about orchard grass is that it's a lot softer than timothy. I buy 50 lb boxes of Oxbow orchard grass and it's not dusty.

Where did you buy the orchard grass from? Would they ship to Canada?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.